Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by TWR
2 10 shot groups on one piece of paper at 100 yards, no mechanical rests or lead sleds but bulls bags are fine. Lighter bullets were always more accurate in my experience at close range.

I never could get 2 groups under MOA on the same paper. I fell apart every time.

Hmm well maybe I'll try when I do some load development. Orange dot targets or some other targets are ok?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone
The problem with Varget in a progressive isn't the variance in charge weights, it's the occasional bridging you get that really throws the charge weight of a couple of cartridges off.
Well I'll just leave it at this.. I've loaded a couple rounds or maybe a few ten thousand more than that on a 550 with Varget and RL15 and TAC over some years. Never saw a weird shot of any of those rounds really that I couldn't blame me on,. Granted high-power matches, not BR, but IIRC I did have the bars amended and did jiggle the press, plus a powder check system accounted for anything WAY out of line...

That said, and not knowing the new powders, TAC wouldn't be bad substitute IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GoForBroke
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by rost495
TAC and H4895 was what I used in 77gr CC. I hit 2750fps out of an M4 with .25MOA accuracy. TAC flows amazing but H4895 gave me better ES/SD. I will say I cannalured those bullets and used a Lee Factory crimp.

you need to shoot the challenge matches!

I can barely afford shooting rats and fishing lol. I used to shoot PPC, IDPA, and 3 Gun. I never got into rifle competitions and just shoot for my own enjoyment now.

He's talking about this challenge
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...black-rifle-challenge-thread#Post9834630

I just looked at the rules and it sounds like 600 yards. but the last pictures look like they were shot at 100 yards. Is that correct?

you might be reading the irons part about reduced 600 yard targets, that means a 600 yard target scaled down in size to be shot at 100 yards instead and supposed to represent the difficulty of 600. Which it doesn't come close to IMHO, but you do have to shoot fairly snug groups. Might even have to shoot a tighter group at 100 than 600 to stay in the 10/x ring but the wind isn't nearly a factor at 100 like 600.

That said if you can produce a pair of 10 shot .25 MOA targets my hats off to you.

I"ve shot some snug groups that impressed me, but mostly luck really in many ways, all they way to 1800 some odd yards. But repeating them has been extremely tough... 3 shot groups at 1800 something on the order of about 8 inches with a rough tape measure... and 5 shot groups at 600 yards on the order of 1 inch or so. But I can't do it consistently

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Tyrone
The problem with Varget in a progressive isn't the variance in charge weights, it's the occasional bridging you get that really throws the charge weight of a couple of cartridges off.
Well I'll just leave it at this.. I've loaded a couple rounds or maybe a few ten thousand more than that on a 550 with Varget and RL15 and TAC over some years. Never saw a weird shot of any of those rounds really that I couldn't blame me on,. Granted high-power matches, not BR, but IIRC I did have the bars amended and did jiggle the press, plus a powder check system accounted for anything WAY out of line...

That said, and not knowing the new powders, TAC wouldn't be bad substitute IMHO.

How did you get RL15 to work in the 550 powder measure? Or did you use a different powder measure mounted to the 550? I've used a Uniflow for stick powders like RL15 on mine, but no way will my Dillon powder dispenser work with it. It doesn't have the leverage to cut powder kernels, which is what happens in a sliding bar type like that, so it just hangs up and stops.

TAC of course is easy and meters great all day long in the Dillon dispenser.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well I chrono a load of 26.5gr leverevolution,cci 400, frontier brass, 77gr otm, shot a 5 shot .648 group. avg velocity 2814 fps, SD of 12.
This bullet seated at 2.290
I’m going to use this load for the nra mid/range prone competition shoot this coming week. Shooting out to 600yds.

Like to add shot a load of 26.2gr of leverevolution, cci400, frontier brass, 75gr hornady 6 shots held strong for .662 then got 4 flyers that opened her up. Anyhow avg velocity 2830 fps, SD of 20
This bullet seated to 2.295

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

"you might be reading the irons part about reduced 600 yard targets, that means a 600 yard target scaled down in size to be shot at 100 yards instead and supposed to represent the difficulty of 600. Which it doesn't come close to IMHO, but you do have to shoot fairly snug groups. Might even have to shoot a tighter group at 100 than 600 to stay in the 10/x ring but the wind isn't nearly a factor at 100 like 600.

That said if you can produce a pair of 10 shot .25 MOA targets my hats off to you.

I"ve shot some snug groups that impressed me, but mostly luck really in many ways, all they way to 1800 some odd yards. But repeating them has been extremely tough... 3 shot groups at 1800 something on the order of about 8 inches with a rough tape measure... and 5 shot groups at 600 yards on the order of 1 inch or so. But I can't do it consistently[/quote]"

No those groups I mentioned were 3 shot in a 100 yard underground lab. Let me clarify that it was not a 10 shot group and there was virtually no wind in my setting. I was using a M4 which I shot off some bags.

Last edited by GoForBroke; 04/20/19.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.