Print Thread
Hop To
C
Clynn Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Gentlemen , what is the quality of the Winchester 22 36 gr. hollow point ammo ? Got a chance at some fairly cheap . Seem to have alot of problems with Remington. CCI is my go to .

Thanks

Chris

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I shot lot of gophers with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They aren't match grade ammo, but they are minute of squirrel for sure and put the smack down on small game... Never hurts to try them in your rifle and have some around for plinking and squirrel elimination...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JUNK

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
They are fine, but I usually stick to the 40 grain super x in winchester 22. You shouldn't be paying more than 4cent per round for cheap 22 these days...and with a little looking you can get cci standards shipped for just under 4 cents per round

IC B2

C
Clynn Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by killerv
They are fine, but I usually stick to the 40 grain super x in winchester 22. You shouldn't be paying more than 4cent per round for cheap 22 these days...and with a little looking you can get cci standards shipped for just under 4 cents per round

Hmmm . Will keep that in mind .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Super X in all Winchester ammo has always been horrible, especially shotgun. But different guns do shoot different ammo very differently. You always have to try it for accuracy.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Still have a few bulk packs bought during Obama Panic 1, when I used to stop off at the Sterling, VA Whatamart on my way home from work in the morning. Gave a couple to my sons so they'd have something. Not bad, not great, NOT Mini Mags, but better by far than the Fed I got on the same trips. Also more reliable than the spendy 1435fps HPs I tried a while back, which ftf'd in a couple of guns.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, I’d rather have the dreaded Remington Golden Bullets myself. I used to love Dynapoints (haven’t had any in years) and Power Points (ain’t what they used to be). If given a choice Winchester is last on my list with Remington one step above. I bought several of the 555 packs during the Rimfire Recession and still have some. Started using some for golfballs and general plinking in my revolvers today. Had my first ever round lodge in the barrel of my Rough Rider. Squib only went about 1 1/2” down the tube; disassembled and pushed bullet out with cleaning rod. Powder looked wet and cakey. YMMV

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The only decent American made .22 rimfire ammo left these days is CCI. Winchester and Remington just plain suck and Fedrerals aren't much better. They're all plagued with duds and squibs and loose bullets and fliers. It's too bad. They all made decent rimfire ammo back when I was young {70's} with squibs and misfires very rare.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Not sure which specific Winchester ammo that is, but I haven't had great luck shooting any of the modern Winchester rimfire ammo.
The best "cheap" ammo I know of is Aguila super extra standard velocity. Consistent, reliable and accurate like CCI SV. Smells funny though (Eley primed)
The high velocity stuff seems pretty good too but I haven't shot it much. You should be able to find either online for $20/brick or less.

Hopen that can be of help.to you

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sixpack- I agree with your take ..

Over the last 40 years my ranking of overall quality of American made rinfire brands was CCI in First place followed by Federal, Winchester and Remington at the bottom.

The last 15 years have not been kind to Winchester..
A lot of shakeups hae occured in the ammo plants during the rimfire shortage and while I think the recent Remington ammo has gotten better the Winchester is pretty much crap.

I used to count on the accuracy and thump of the Winchester Dynapoint amd Power Point loads. Now , Dynapoints are no more and the Power Points shoot no better than the most recent lots of Remington Gold Bullet HP ammo .

The most recent batches of Golden Bullet HPs, Remingtin Subsonic HP and even the Thunderbolts have been reliable and shot decent. The Rem Subsonics have outshot the ELEY subsonics in the last three guns I have shot them in..

It's not 2009 anymore..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kragman1
Not sure which specific Winchester ammo that is, but I haven't had great luck shooting any of the modern Winchester rimfire ammo.
The best "cheap" ammo I know of is Aguila super extra standard velocity. Consistent, reliable and accurate like CCI SV. Smells funny though (Eley primed)
The high velocity stuff seems pretty good too but I haven't shot it much. You should be able to find either online for $20/brick or less.

Hopen that can be of help.to you

Winchester 555 bulk packs from the lean years

Agree on Aguila too except I’ve only shot HV and no standard. Had never heard of let alone seen any until the Rimfire recession. It started slowly being the easiest for me to get so I bought a goodly bit of it. Along with CCI Blazers and MiniMags, Aguila is in my rotation. How’s Federal Champion 510 now? It used to be good to me but haven’t bought any recently. I’ve got some new lots of AutoMatch but I hear it ain’t what it used to be either.

I shoot mostly HV Rimfire so my ranking goes like this (favorite to least):

1. CCI - Blazers plinking/targets and MiniMags hunting/vermin (if given a choice but use both interchangeably)
2. CCI Standard Velocity - Targets
3. Aguila Super Extra copper plated hv solid
4. Wolf MT (old stock for max accuracy)
5. Federal 510 (old stock; interchangeable with Blazers)
6. Federal AutoMatch
7. Remington Golden Bullets
8. Winchester anything

I’ve got some Aguila 38 gr hp ordered so we will see. I’ve still got some American Eagle too; never cared for the 40 gr solid but 38 gr hp is pretty good. As a rule, if given a choice, I stay away from bulk packs of anything other than AutoMatch and I’m not sure it’s as good as it once was.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jk16
Sixpack- I agree with your take ..

Over the last 40 years my ranking of overall quality of American made rinfire brands was CCI in First place followed by Federal, Winchester and Remington at the bottom.

The last 15 years have not been kind to Winchester..
A lot of shakeups hae occured in the ammo plants during the rimfire shortage and while I think the recent Remington ammo has gotten better the Winchester is pretty much crap.

I used to count on the accuracy and thump of the Winchester Dynapoint amd Power Point loads. Now , Dynapoints are no more and the Power Points shoot no better than the most recent lots of Remington Gold Bullet HP ammo .

The most recent batches of Golden Bullet HPs, Remingtin Subsonic HP and even the Thunderbolts have been reliable and shot decent. The Rem Subsonics have outshot the ELEY subsonics in the last three guns I have shot them in..

It's not 2009 anymore..

Could not agree more! Winchester also ranks last to me in factory center fire and shotshells as well.

Last edited by Sixpack; 04/19/19.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Sorry to hear that. The old Winchester compression formed shot shell hulls were like magic for me. Could get them anywhere. The rimfire and centerfire rifle and pistol were unobtainum locally.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The only decent American made .22 rimfire ammo left these days is CCI. Winchester and Remington just plain suck and Fedrerals aren't much better. They're all plagued with duds and squibs and loose bullets and fliers. It's too bad. They all made decent rimfire ammo back when I was young {70's} with squibs and misfires very rare.

I fear you're correct, and I'm not wasting time and money doing testing to see if they get better; not when CCI continues to do the good job they've always done. I do pick up bargains on good imports when I can, but the little Ruger that favored the RWS SSHPs and Aguila Match has gone on to another owner, so unless the new Custom Shop 10/22 "needs" them, I can stick with CCI.

Have had excellent results with American-made Fiocchi .223. Hope they start making .22s here too.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ill say this - I saw 2 second hand boxes of older Winchester 40 grain WMR the other day and jumped on them because I don't have confidence in new production. And that stuff has always made my Mossberg happy.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,289
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.