Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Heard the Chuck wills last night. No bullbats yet.

And my whistling ducks came home yesterday. Will pick em up a bag of corn today.

This morning all the daddy red birds were singing. And there was my home pair of Pileated woodpeckers in the bottom hollering.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 04/20/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No whistling ducks here except that one day. Never knew they existed until then. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Southeast Massachusetts, I remember the whippoorwills and Bobwhite Quail when I was a kid. Haven't heard them in 50 or so years. Maybe progress wiped out their habitat. Sad.

Last edited by 308ld; 04/20/19.

Ed
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I was told that first cotton poison, then clean farming and later fire ants destroyed the Bobwhites here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a little boy back in the 50's I could hear them every night from my bedroom. I used to love listening to them. I haven't heard one since about 1959. Sad.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
We have whippoorwills here allmost all summer, at times they are cool to listen to, when coon hunting they are a PITA,, and dont like one in the yard when the window is open because of their volume,,, they are one of the few birds Ive seen that their eyes shine in the dark when lights hit them

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have one whip-poor-will that cranks up most nights on our place. There use to be lots of them. And, yesterday I heard a quail on our place for the first time. This is the first spring I've lived here in 30 years, but Dad says the quail disappeared years ago. Maybe they are making a comeback.

As a footnote, I caught 2 foxes and 2 bobcats on our property this winter, so maybe getting rid of some of the predators will help.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman3
We have one whip-poor-will that cranks up most nights on our place. There use to be lots of them. And, yesterday I heard a quail on our place for the first time. This is the first spring I've lived here in 30 years, but Dad says the quail disappeared years ago. Maybe they are making a comeback.

As a footnote, I caught 2 foxes and 2 bobcats on our property this winter, so maybe getting rid of some of the predators will help.

No doubt that the predators do hurt the quail, but I think the biggest thing has been the loss of habitat. 50 years ago, we had plenty of Bobwhites. Most of the farms around here were diversified, and had a lot of ground that wasn't cropped, so it was allowed to become weedy and provided both food and cover for the birds. Today, most farms here are in row crops, and intensively farmed. There is no cover for the quail, and they just aren't here anymore.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We don't have whippoorwills here but we do have the very similar nighthawks. I see them often at night sitting on the ground along desert roads. In the evenings, after sun down, you can often see and hear them flying. As they dive for bugs, their wings make a whoosh like a dive bomber.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Oldman3

No doubt that the predators do hurt the quail, but I think the biggest thing has been the loss of habitat. 50 years ago, we had plenty of Bobwhites. Most of the farms around here were diversified, and had a lot of ground that wasn't cropped, so it was allowed to become weedy and provided both food and cover for the birds. Today, most farms here are in row crops, and intensively farmed. There is no cover for the quail, and they just aren't here anymore.

Feral cats are a YUGE problem for quail,, I love a bobwhite's call, Back when the ol timers around here kept the flying raptors trimmed back and coyotes on the endangered list we LOTS of quail,, wasnt nothing to here 12 or more stags calling all day long in the hay fields,, Granny would woop up some quail an dumplins,if you brought her 7-8 that wasnt shotgunned,,

I AM AMERICA!
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Would make quite a ring tone.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Y’all ever heard the Rain Bird. ? Don’t know their proper name, but old folks around hear swear it means the rain is coming.

Rain Crow. Aka yellow billed Cuckoo

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have been hearing them the last few nights.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We don't have whippoorwills here but we do have the very similar nighthawks. I see them often at night sitting on the ground along desert roads. In the evenings, after sun down, you can often see and hear them flying. As they dive for bugs, their wings make a whoosh like a dive bomber.

Common Nighthawk, that dive and β€œwhoooosh” ain’t diving for bugs, that is the courtship/territorial display of the male. Often times if you look, he’ll be diving above a female flying down below.

The really impressive thing about nighthawks to me is that somehow, with that slow and floppy style of flight, they fly clear down to Argentina to spend the winter.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My own favorite night bird call is the Poorwill. Just brings back memories of chilly dawn mornings in the desert, first glow of dawn on the horizon.....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
There is so many at the lease in central Texas, it’s one solid noise. It’s like surround sound.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're my turkey meter.

If I walk outside and they're doing their thing it's gonna be a good morning.

If I don't hear them, or only hear one or two in the distance, I'll usually go back to bed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aliens chasing birds.

Whippoorwills are Awesome!

Last edited by mtnsnake; 04/20/19.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 2500HD, 50 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,035
Posts18,520,955
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.