Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by keith
Reaming one out....

Better thinking would be to cut off a neck length of barrel shank and then a re chamber. Reamer dia vs old chamber dia could be a miss fit, not to mention if the factory barrel is not machined with bore and chamber aligned. There will always be some run out, how much is a question. The gunsmith will need some latitude in cleaning up bore alignment with chamber mis alignment with the new chamber. This can be more work than chambering a new barrel.

Also, don't expect any accuracy guarantee.

Fotus, excessive freebore and throat dia allows a lot of gas blow by resulting in velocity loss, not to mention bore dia varies...reamers and throat geometry count.

I shoot a 7 STW with a Pac Nor 27" tube, 140g tipped tripple shock at 3650, tiny groups...550 is a chip shot. Barrel is twisted for 140-150g Noslers with 3750 fps being a max load with accuracy for the 140g C/T bullet. Obviously, I don't shoot long range, just do not like running deer. Same load with a 140g Nosler C/T bullet has never failed brother and I also....never on BIG Kansas deer that go over 300 lbs out to 550 yards. Kansas record white tails run over 400 lbs...we have not seen any of these.

Since good Winchester brass has disappeared for the 7 STW, I have designed a 7 Mashburn reamer and a 7 Practical That I hope to chamber this year in Brux barrels for use in Old blue bag winchester brass. I did not design a CIP spec reamer for RWS brass.

Good info thanks. The 7mm rem looks tiny in my Sako V action. I have shot it very little since buying it in February but the previous owner who I know had no problem with it at all. I might need to look at a aftermarket barrel and I also have a SS 700 Mag in 257 laying around as well.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out of complete curiosity and due to my addiction to tinkering and wildcat chambering. I decided to do the exact same 7.21 Sage concept but necked up to .338. Grant at JGS said my reamer should ship next week. I already have a factory Rem700 .338 Ultra and a Benchmark built .338 Edge (Which is spooky accurate) but I wanted to see if I could get similar gains as I did with the 7.21 Sage over the 7mm Magnum using the 300 Win mag case.

7.21 Sage cartridge (Left)
.338 Winchester Magnum case (Center)
On the right is a .300 Win Mag case with a .338 230gr ELD-X, when fire formed it will have the same 35 degree shoulder and case taper as the 7.21 Sage on the Left.

I’m looking forward to load development.

[Linked Image]

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SMACK
The 7mm Practical was what sent me in the direction of my 7.21 Sage. My version of the 7-300. Mine has minimum case taper and a 35 degree shoulder.

Shoots a solid 1/2 MOA or better. I’ve only shot three shot groups seeing it’s a magnum I use for hunting. Also from past experience it won’t be easy on throats. So I don’t heat it up. It’s a 8 twist, 3 contour Schneider Barrel. Took my first game with it this last fall season. Two Mule deer, one at a bit over 400 and one at 847. Both were Bang Flops with the Hornady 180gr ELD-M @ 3183 FPS.

Shoots the 162gr ELD-X well.

300yards 3325 FPS / This was my top end. I backed it down a bit.

[Linked Image]

300 yards@ 3256 FPS. My fireforming loads shot extremely well & fast.

[Linked Image]

300 yards

[Linked Image]

180gr ELD 300 yards @ 3183 FPS

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How long is the barrel on your rig and how heavy is it? Maybe it’s just me but the barrel looks like it’s loooooong!

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

On the right is a .300 Win Mag case with a .338 230gr ELD-X, when fire formed it will have the same 35 degree shoulder and case taper as the 7.21 Sage on the Left.

[Linked Image]

Smack I can tell I DON’T need to hang with you. wink

I just thot I had a problem. grin

That’s too interesting. cool

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]

How long is the barrel on your rig and how heavy is it? Maybe it’s just me but the barrel looks like it’s loooooong!
[/quote]

28” 👍 3 contour Schneider. It’s not heavy. I hunt open country. We can take shots as long as a guy is capable of.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Columbia River in the bottom. BIG COUNTRY! Biggest California sheep on the planet. A friend here holds the SCI world record. 👍🙃👍

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SMACK; 04/19/19.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Out of complete curiosity and due to my addiction to tinkering and wildcat chambering. I decided to do the exact same 7.21 Sage concept but necked up to .338. Grant at JGS said my reamer should ship next week. I already have a factory Rem700 .338 Ultra and a Benchmark built .338 Edge (Which is spooky accurate) but I wanted to see if I could get similar gains as I did with the 7.21 Sage over the 7mm Magnum using the 300 Win mag case.

[Linked Image]

I’d like to see the results. What barrel length are you going to put that in?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have extremely limited experience with the 7 Practical...a friend is into long range shooting, has one, and invited me out.Had no trouble keeping them on a 24 inch plate at just over 1400 yards...my personal best. We were going to go to a mile, but the weather closed in on us. Fun stuff!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In this day and age, I don’t know why one would choose a belted case for a wildcat when there are belt-less alternatives available.

Flamesuit on!!! :-))))

7mm-300PRC

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the 7-08,the 180 ELD and hold the Fluff.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could really GAF about a big-assed 7 of any sort, or a .30 either,

...but that's really some sheep you have there! Major congrats on that one. Amazing.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Pass the 7-08,the 180 ELD and hold the Fluff.

Hint..............

I may acquiesce yet.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
(5) rounds in the belly,killer brass abounds,barrels live forver and 2600fps is a breeze in a rather modest spout(21"). In my current atmosphere,it is supersonic to the 1765yd line.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
In this day and age, I don’t know why one would choose a belted case for a wildcat when there are belt-less alternatives available.

No flaming here.

ATST - What's to worry about in a 'belted' case?

I've been shooting them since the late 70s. When you learn to PFL size (like non belted cases) and DON'T attempt to headspace off the belt, you have very good case life.

I like long and slender VS short and FAT! I like the LOOKS of the 6mm Rem case better than the 243 case, et.al.

In over 40yrs of using belted cases I have not:

A. Caught the pox
B. Caught measles
C. Had hives
D. Had any STDs
E. Had ANY problems you can't encounter with beltless cases.

Now, if you like short actions, 1/2" shorter bolt throw, 1/2" shorter rifle length w/same barrel length, and 4 (FOUR) oz lighter weight
then you have all the advantages.

All of this stuff really boils down to Personal Preference. Just please yourself.

IF I listened to most things I've read here, I'd be changing Rifles, Cartridges, Powder, Bullets every week.

"Don't worry, BE Happy"

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mechanical advantages,are not subjective...despite the volume/intensity of the Whine. Congratulations?!?

Hint.............

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
REDUX

"Don't Worry, Be Happy"

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stupid ain't ever smart...no matter the bumper sticker.

Hint..................

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
REDUX

"Don't Worry, Be Happy"

Jerry

laugh laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Imagination and Pretend..."soothe" many. Congratulations?!?

Hint.................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smallfry

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by smallfry

[Linked Image]

I’m still kicking it around. Bartlein 9.3 twist , #3, 29” blank. I’m leaning towards 26” but what does two more inches mean to 28” for a open country deer, Bear and elk rifle?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
(5) rounds in the belly,killer brass abounds,barrels live forver and 2600fps is a breeze in a rather modest spout(21"). In my current atmosphere,it is supersonic to the 1765yd line.

Hint................

The 180gr ELD-M is a bad AZZ bullet.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (01Foreman400, 35, 405winash, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 801 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,392
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.