Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
...I can still nug out 100 pullups in about 30 minutes.

I don't really think a 50 lb bow is going to put my dick in the dirt...

Not to chit on another's post, but you'll be just fine. 17 pullups is the best I ever did on my USMC PFT and a lifetime later can do a handfull at best. I shoot 50-55 lb bows daily and actually struggle with bows below 50 lbs. Below that, there isn't enough string tension for me to get a clean release and I find 52-53 lbs to be a sweet spot.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Pull ups are not the same as pulling a bow everyday shooting 200 to 300 arrows a day. I was a 300 PFTer in the Corps and can still run a First Class PFT. I am 6'4" 260lb can still bangout 20 kipping pull-ups. I hunt with a 45lb Long Bow. Which at my draw length is a tad under 50lb. I have been slinging arrows since 7 years old. I see it everyday guys wanting to shoot heavy bows and never get good, or get to what they consider good. Which isn't good in reality. It's your money your life. But any good archery shop would order you another bow at a more suitable draw weight. Oh well either way enjoy and welcome to the world of Traditional Archery. When your grouping the size of a big tuna can @20 yards you are good. When you get it down to the size of a soda can you are doing great.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I appreciate all the input.

Like I said before, I'm kind of at the place where I don't know what I don't know. Trying to absorb some knowledge, but as they say, experience is the best teacher.

I saw MCH mentioning a Samick with two sets of limbs on another thread. If this 50 is a fail for a starter, I will adjust as needed.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
MCH, I apologize if I came across a bit snarky last night and agree with you on pullups vs. shooting bows. The point I was trying to make is that I don't consider myself to have a lot of upper body strength and I easily manage bows in the 50-55 lb range. I'm 58 years young and have also been shooting stick bows my entire life which may have something to do with it. I've built numerous bows for folks either just starting out or switching from compounds and it does seem most want at least 55 lb bows which I agree is too much and try and talk them down to 50 lbs or so. My Dad starting shooting recurves with me years ago and he did very well with a 52 lb Howatt Hunter having never shot a bow in his life prior to that.

Most factory bows weigh on the heavy side of what they're marked to begin with. I think manufacturers weigh the finished bow and round down to the next 5 lb increment. Having built many laminated bows over the years, when I find myself in that situation I have no issues taking sandpaper to the glass and nock the weight down a bit. Montana Marine will likely be drawing over 55 lbs with his new bow which I agree with you is heavier than ideal to learn on. I'm anxious to hear how he does with it!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
JGray I never took you as being snarky.

I have just seen way too many guys try to do too much too fast. No two bowyers feel and stack the same. I don't mind shooting a heavier bow if it is smooth stacking like a Dan Toelke. The problem is guys worry more about draw weight than form and the endurance to be able to shoot arrows. In my opinion you really should be shooting a minimum of 100 arrows a day. I tend to like to shoot twice a day once in the morning at early light and then again in the evening light. I try to shoot 200 to 300 arrows a day. I start on spot target then shoot the three 3D targets I have. So 100 to 150 arrows in the morning and 100 to 150 in the evening. A 40lb bow with the right arrow and broad head will cleanly and humanly kill an Elk. I think for guys just starting out the 45lb draw is the best place to be. Build the muscles, get good form, and build muscle memory. Once you have that then add weight as you feel needed. I have no doubts in my equipment killing anything I hunt at 48-1/2lb draw. I have a recurve that is 53lb and I don't mind it either.

You can watch guys shooting heavier draw bows and they collapse on every shot. That is sh_tty form and causes a lot of inconsistencies.

Edit: Something I almost forgot too! Guys shooting heavier draw weights string hand are very seldom relaxed and have a clean release. They are way to tense and their release is so heavy on the string. But these aren't things guys getting started know about or think about.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 04/24/19.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montana Marine, I have a Bear Alaskan recurve ---63" , 40# double shelf wood and fiberglass bow that I could sell you real reasonable. It might be perfect for practice and decision making.

If you are interested, PM or e-mail me and we can talk about it.

I live in Columbus.

Ken

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tell you I have observed people in way better shape, and stronger than me can't handle a bow like I expect one to be handeled.

It is definitely a learned strength.

I started shooting a bow at six or seven, I am 55 now.

In really cold weather I shoot a weaker bow 4 sure. Tree stands also will limit ability to handle poundage.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by kennymauser
Montana Marine, I have a Bear Alaskan recurve ---63" , 40# double shelf wood and fiberglass bow that I could sell you real reasonable. It might be perfect for practice and decision making.

If you are interested, PM or e-mail me and we can talk about it.

I live in Columbus.

Ken

I'll keep that in mind depending on how things go.

Is your bow a left-hand?

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Wait, double shelf probably means ambi?

I don't speak fluent archery yet.....grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot left handed, but this is not my bow originally and when I remembered I had it, I discovered it was ambidextrous, and could have been shooting it. I did some research on some of the archery forums and discovered that there was that model made in the Alaskan. I no longer shoot my bows, and just recently sold my self bow here on the forum.

Ken

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Sounds like a nice bow. My aim is to practice and build some proficiency with a single bow.

If the 50 lb longbow is a little heavy, I'm sure I can train with it to build my endurance. After all, it is a form of resistance training. I'm no stranger to that.

I'm looking forward to getting the bow in, should be here tomorrow.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what I've read, the old English longbows had a 100lb draw. Which seems amazing given that average height/size was smaller in the middle ages.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I've read some of the same about the English longbow. 100, even as high as 150. Effective range for military uses at the time, up to 400 yards. I imagine raining down arrows on formations of enemy. Wild stuff.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've read some of the same about the English longbow. 100, even as high as 150. Effective range for military uses at the time, up to 400 yards. I imagine raining down arrows on formations of enemy. Wild stuff.

Howard Hill shot a very heavy longbow even when he was older. I know he was shooting 150lbs when he was at his peak. I remember him saying it was so he would have a flatter trajectory on his trick shots.

You will likely be fine with 50 lbs. You will increase strength quickly. The thing to watch out for is getting sloppy form and bad habits while you are gaining strength in those specific muscles. Try to learn exactly what good form is and limit your practice to as many as you can shoot properly,not as many as you can shoot.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
That's my plan, going in.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Do a bit of stretching before and after you shoot. I developed some elbow tendinitis that took forever to heal. I love watching the flight of an arrow and my shooting sessions tend to go on too long.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
To help in not getting bad habits, I subscribed to a rule........two brain farts in a practice session and practice is over.

One can have fun in sloppy shooting, and therein lies the problem.

With no sights, one can corrupt form and other and still hit the target.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Funny, I can't see my arrows fly.
Not until maybe 30 yards or so.

Haven't seen any of them when shooting game,
Even on the 42 yard coyote.

3D I could see them arcing back down on the 45 yard shots (MBR stakes).
I shoot a white nock.

Under 30 yards at best on targets it's just a blur.

Guys indoors were shooting trad, let them try my bow. They were admiring it, saying it was pretty speedy and quiet (Blackwidow SA2 55#).
So I let em shoot it.

They couldn't believe how smooth it was, how little vibe, how fast......................and how they COULDNT SEE THE ARROW FLY.
Granted it was only 20 yards indoors...............but they could see their arrows "fly".

Told them paper tune had bullet holes. Not tears. And what they thought was normal arrow flight on their rigs was actually fishtail and or porpoise.

Lots of people shoot less than optimized systems.

Many are content to do so.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FWIW other people at 3D (compound guys) openly exclaimed their joy at watching my arrows.

Just thought that visible flight to be "so cool".

Off to the side I guess it's fun.

As a shooter it is, but only on longer shots where I can pick it up.

I never did hit the block target at 150 yards.
Came close though.

Novelty deal, just the owner and some regs..........after the shoot.
Good fun.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Overdid it at work. Am pretty sore today.
If no rain tomorrow flip a few from my 54# Blackwidow HS.
Less than 50 arrows.............and maybe even quite a bit less, if I have a couple of brain farts.

Is what it is, won't bother me whatever happens.

Due to injuries I have to ease into it.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 38 invisible), 2,156 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,392
Posts18,469,896
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.