Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
As the title states, I'm looking for recommendations for fishing lodges in Ontario that can be driven to. I don't require luxury, simple is fine. I would be renting boat and motor and would like to hire a guide for the first day or two at least. This would be my first fishing trip to Canada so catching numbers vs "the one" would be priority. Looking for the typical- smallmouth, walleye and pike in no particular order. Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://agimacriveroutfitters.ca/indian-lake-cabins.html

Never fished this lodge. But have been doing this exact area DIY for 40-45 years and it is SPECTACULAR country.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Mike, there are more lakes the would fill the bill in NW Ontario than a man could fish in a lifetime.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Mike, there are more lakes the would fill the bill in NW Ontario than a man could fish in a lifetime.

Can I get an "amen" ??

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sure, the question on a good camp stumps me. Merkles Camp on Wabigoon Lake is a good place.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Therein lies the problem. With so many choices,narrowing it down to one or even a few to look closely at is the problem. I have Googled NW Ontario Fishing Lodges and got myriad results. Where to begin sorting it out? Hearing from people who have been there and done it is worth a lot in my book. Thanks for the replies and by all means give any advice/information you are willing to share.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
These are good folks.[img]http://www.merkelscamp.com/[/img]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Mike, the time of year makes a big difference. Lat May, or early June is best.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the tip. I have been to the to lakes in the Boundary Waters the past two summers both in June. Once on a canoe trip which was light on fishing. Then late last June and rented a cabin and boat. I happened to arrive as the Mayfly hatch was in full swing. Which didn't seem to help the fishing. I am going again this year to base camp and fish the first week of June. I have enjoyed that and want to go further north as I have heard glowing reports of the fishing to be had there. This year it would have to be in late August or early Sept. so I may have to wait until next year. But that's ok, I try to plan well in advance.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Mike, it might be fun to fish with you. Fishing might be good, or not good. That would be sport fishing.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Fishing is almost always good. The catching eh....sometimes. I have a lot to learn about northern ( fishing up north - not just pike) fishing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What you want can be had from mid Minnesota to the arctic in Canada. I would add smallmouth to the target list they are more fun to catch on u/l tackle than the rest of them. You didn't specify what you're looking for size wise. There are places you can go where you can catch small-medium size northerns until your arms fall off and the numbers are beyond counting. Likewise, smallmouths and walleyes. Usually they are not the same place for all those species, but it can be. You probably should put muskies on your target list too.

PM me if you need more info or help refining what you are looking for.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (allscopedup, 35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.