Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jr03 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I bought a new Remington Stainless Model Seven in .260 for the wife back last March. I tried almost every brand and bullet weight I could find or heard of! Nothing would group better than 6.5" to 7"

I contacted Remington and they told me to check the action screws. So I ask what the twist rate was on the barrel he said 9 I ask why does your web site and manual say 8? He said he didn't know.

So today it is all boxed up and waiting for UPS to pick it and send it back. Anyone else ever send a rifle back to Remington? What did they do... repair it or replace it?

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Never have . Hope they take care of you.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Seems like rifles now days aren't what they use to be, I have a Bergara B14 that I sent back for accuracy problems. Same rifle I had to send the bolt back as it was missing the extractor NIB.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Years ago, I bought a Howa 6.5X55 that on it's best day would shoot about a 3 inch group at a 100 yards. I tried a number of different bullet weights, powder, and different little tweaks. I called Howa, and they said to return it and they would replace it, which they did. The replacement rifle was better, though it would never do better than an 1 -1 1/2 group.

As far as Remington rifles go, I've had a bunch of them, and have never had one that wouldn't shoot. I reload for everything, and experiment quite a bit with different loads, so eventually I've found something that would work.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I have had a pile of Remington rifles that have been sent back. Everything from cracked bolts to bad head spacing. They have great customer service though and always took care of it for me.

As far as accuracy goes I’ve also had several that wouldn’t shoot. The issue is that they use junk barrels and their qc is as bad as it gets...and they don’t have an acuracy guarantee. Roll the bones...if it doesn’t shoot it’s time to re-barrel. They won’t help you there.

Their custom shop guns have trued receivers and aftermarket barrels...so it’s not like they don’t know they have issues.

Factory 700s that are great shooters are the exception...not the norm. Same with lots of brands imho.

GOD Bless America
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Quak
I have had a pile of Remington rifles that have been sent back. Everything from cracked bolts to bad head spacing. They have great customer service though and always took care of it for me.

As far as accuracy goes I’ve also had several that wouldn’t shoot. The issue is that they use junk barrels and their qc is as bad as it gets...and they don’t have an acuracy guarantee. Roll the bones...if it doesn’t shoot it’s time to re-barrel. They won’t help you there.

Their custom shop guns have trued receivers and aftermarket barrels...so it’s not like they don’t know they have issues.

Factory 700s that are great shooters are the exception...not the norm. Same with lots of brands imho.

Oh my...an extry scoop of DUMB Fhuqk there.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jr03
I bought a new Remington Stainless Model Seven in .260 for the wife back last March. I tried almost every brand and bullet weight I could find or heard of! Nothing would group better than 6.5" to 7"

I contacted Remington and they told me to check the action screws. So I ask what the twist rate was on the barrel he said 9 I ask why does your web site and manual say 8? He said he didn't know.

So today it is all boxed up and waiting for UPS to pick it and send it back. Anyone else ever send a rifle back to Remington? What did they do... repair it or replace it?

Many moons ago I had to send a rifle back to them. It was a Model 7400. It was probably 1996 or 1997. They fixed it and I sold it.

Camp is where you make it.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Oh my...an extry scoop of DUMB Fhuqk there.

Hint................

All true...good platforms but there’s a good reason they are tits up

Hint

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I’m a huge 700 fan...just being honest. The only 700s that have an accuracy guarantee don’t have Remington made barrels

GOD Bless America
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Geez..I never had any trouble getting any vintage of remington to shoot...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve had great luck with Rem 700s, never had to send on back.
Sent back a Kimber Montana in 270 WSM.
They returned it to me, not fixed with a target, three shot group at 1.25” at 50 yards.
They said it was in tolerance.
Couldn’t sell it fast enough.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I've owned a couple hundred Remington rifles and never had a bad one that was due to any production failure on Remington's part. I've had inaccurate Remington rifles due to damage or neglect by previous owners, but not because of anything that Reminton did or didn't do in the production process. Like any high volume manufacturer, they are going to have some production errors and it sucks when you're the guy who buys the lemon, but their failure rate is probably a small fraction of 1%. That said, Remington has made some questionable design decisions, like the ROT of the 244, 1-12", and 260, 1-9".

I'd agree that the average Remington 700 taken straight from the box probably won't be quite as accurate as a comparable Weatherby Vanguard2 or maybe even a Ruger American, but with a little tinkering/tuning they'll usually shoot with anything in their price class.

Regarding Remington 700 barrels, I've recycled dozens of them and never had one that wouldn't shoot if it hadn't been neglected by a previous owner/user.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by ingwe

I’ve had great luck with some...poor luck with others. Sent an AWR back that had a gouge in the chamber so bad it wouldn’t extract. They replaced it with one that wouldn’t shoot into 3 inches with any ammo. Sold it to cabelas 2 weeks ago. On the other hand had a 270 AWR that shot everything into an inch. Have a couple sendaro models in the stable and they ALL have crooked chambers...ymmv

I’ve got 1 in 7/08 that was pretty consistent 2 inch shooter that’s now at GA precision

I’m a Remington fan...700s are my fav platform. Just being honest though about my experience with them. Not trying to ruffle any feathers.

GOD Bless America
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I send a Rem. 700 Long Range 30-06 back.I got it back five months later.They replaced the barrel and receiver and after all that,it still shot like crap.Sent it to JES and rebored it to a 338-06.Only took two weeks and now I have a great shooting rifle.Shoots 1/2 " and less with most any load.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by baldhunter; 04/22/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Vintage is the key word in that statement.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by boliep

Vintage is the key word in that statement.

No, "any" is the key word....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 700 XCR in 300 Win Mag that went back shortly after I bought it new in 2008. Accuracy was 1 inch...at 25 yards. Took a couple weeks to get back and tag never said what they did but it shoots much better and will hold an inch or better at 100 yards now. The recoil pad was also replaced by Remjngton as they had a batch that were disintegrating. It just got back from its second trip...this time for the trigger recall. It's a good gun now but I rarely use it anymore and would part ways with it if the opportunity came along.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've owned a couple hundred Remington rifles and never had a bad one that was due to any production failure on Remington's part.

Wow, I wish I could honestly say that. My last good Remington was purchased in about 2005-2007. Since then, nothing but trouble. You are a lucky son of a gun. You might want to buy lottery tickets for the rest of us.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My newest Remington is vintage.

Likely to stay that way.

DF

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've bought 4 since 2005. Three of them were ADL Synthetics, a .22-250, a .243 and a .308. The biggest problem I had was with Triggers. One of my four Model 700s was an SPS in .30-06. It and my .2005 ADL Synthetic in .22-250 had the old Walker Trigger. This was the original Remington trigger that came on the 721, 722, 725 and finally 700. This is the trigger that was blamed for several deaths because it went off when the bolt was closed or when the safety was switched to the fire position. That's why Remington came oujjt with the X Mark Pro trigger in 2006. The old Walker Trigger, designed by Mike Walker, my name sake who was an engineer for Remington and designed the Remington 700 series designed the trigger for the 7241-722 back in the 1940s. The trigger had a floating piece in between the trigger and the sear. It made for a very smooth trigger pull. However, if that floating piece got dirty it could cause it to hang up until the safety was taken off or the bolt was closed causing an unintentional discharge. This killed or injured several people and caused several big law suites. Mike Walker even tried to get Remington to let him redisigned the trigger, but for some reason Remington denied him. However, finally, in 2006 Remington chose to replace the trigger with a simpler design. They came out with the first X MARK PRO. This was a pretty good trigger but it was Gun Smith adjustable. And later they discovered that it was put together with a compound that would cause accidental discharges too. There was a recall in 2014 to send these rifles back for a cleaning and redo of the trigger. I took mine to my gun smith and he took it apart and cleaned it up and adjusted it. It breaks at about 3.5-4 pounds and breaks clean there.

However, my two

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (1lesfox, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 34 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,659
Posts18,512,792
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.