Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The Kimber action is smaller than most, best I can measure, around 1.4”. Someone may want to chime in.

So, the barrel shank is less than that, hard to measure with large objective scope.

6” from receiver, .775”

12” from receiver, .728”

Muzzle, .620”

Hope that helps. With the smaller receiver, it’s possible smith turned it down. Don’t remember.

DF

Broughton makes a 3 and a 3.1. as their smallest contour. I think the 3.1 is smaller actually if I remember correctly.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CWT
The Kimber action is smaller than most, best I can measure, around 1.4”. Someone may want to chime in.

So, the barrel shank is less than that, hard to measure with large objective scope.

6” from receiver, .775”

12” from receiver, .728”

Muzzle, .620”

Hope that helps. With the smaller receiver, it’s possible smith turned it down. Don’t remember.

DF

Broughton makes a 3 and a 3.1. as their smallest contour. I think the 3.1 is smaller actually if I remember correctly.

Looked it up.

You have a good memory. 3.1 pretty close to my contour.

www.rifle-barrels.net/barrel.html

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/22/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For $1200 I expect more

The $1200 is buying you a 5 lb rifle, not a .5 MOA rifle. You can have one, or the other, but not both in the same rifle. And compared to anything else in that weight class $1200 is cheap.

One trend I've noticed over the years. There are lots of people who have owned multiple Kimbers and none of them shoot well. Others have owned multiple Kimbers and all of them shoot well. I've come to the conclusion that the problem ain't the rifles. Some people just can't shoot a 5 lb rifle, some can.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JMR40
One trend I've noticed over the years. There are lots of people who have owned multiple Kimbers and none of them shoot well. Others have owned multiple Kimbers and all of them shoot well. I've come to the conclusion that the problem ain't the rifles. Some people just can't shoot a 5 lb rifle, some can.

Agreed! I’ve got 8 Kimbers (4 Montana’s, 3 Classics and an Adirondack), never sold a single one - all shoot great! AND... I bought all but one as used! I was very hesitant to buy my first, only after a buddy bought one or two did I decide to give em a try.

Do they require more attention to form, etc, than a heavier rifle? Yep! But that’s the nature of a light rifle. Not gonna say all are MOA and that they don’t have some small issues, etc, but I think you get a lot for your money with Kimber myself!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Even if you have a sub MOA 5# rifle, it’s not easy to shoot those guns off a bench.

So, in many cases, how ya gonna know?

DF

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by hunter2405
I have a couple of the 280 Ackley Imp in hunter and subalpine and am very pleased with them. I wish they would come out with a 6.5 Grendel or a classic 284 Winchester. Love the feel of the 84m action, fits like a glove!!!!

I just traded a buddy for a NIB hunter in 280 AI. Glad to hear you like it

John...did you get a chance to shoot it yet?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My experience with several Kimber rifles is that they have excellent barrels but their bedding method can be hit or miss. Easy fix, though. The test target for this Montana in .308 Win showed two bullets in one ragged hole and a third shot roughly an inch out. I didn't even bother shooting the rifle before bedding the recoil lug and adjusting the trigger. The results were impressive to say the least.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I haven't owned a 1.5" rifle in over 30 years. I guess if your standards are to high you can lower them. For $1200 I expect more

Ghostman,
The point I was trying to make is that if I really like the rifle and if it will consistently shoot an inch to an inch and a half at 100 yds. all is good. I have never shot at any game animal at over three hundred yards, so an inch and a half at 100 is minute of deer at the ranges I am likely to shoot. And I don’t now consider that a trade off when the feel, the ergonomics, the weight and mechanics are as good as the Kimber Montana. To me anyway, that makes it worth the $1200. I have had several rifles that I could shoot under an inch all day long, but they weren’t as pleasing to me as is the Kimber. Just me.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Woodhits,
That is a nice shooting bench.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by lastround
Woodhits,

Bet that helps with groups. I am more like last round as most of my target shooting is over the hood of the truck or off portable benches. If I get real serious I will bring sand bags.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Woodhits,

Thanks, I had it built about five years ago and love it. The contractor who was working on my house made the form to my specs and we poured it ourselves. Despite the cows scratching themselves on it, it doesn't move.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Woodhits,

Thanks, I had it built about five years ago and love it. The contractor who was working on my house made the form to my specs and we poured it ourselves. Despite the cows scratching themselves on it, it doesn't move.

That is solid, for sure. I like it.

I built this one for my Z-71. Not as solid as yours, but works OK. Easy to set up, faster than setting up my three legged bench with pipe legs. The Gibraltar drum throne makes a great bench rest seat. Have posted this before.

Three brackets welded like this one (bottom photo) with threaded iron pipes cut to the right length, make a great bench. I have long pipes for shooting big DG rifles. It positions the bench at chest level. The bench is two 3/4" plywood pieces glued together, shaped a lot like your bench, the three brackets bolted in place to form a triangle. The hole in the pipe is handy for screwing the pipes tightly into the bracket.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had Johnboy from here add some spiderwebbing to my Hunter. Looks pretty cool in my opinion.
[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by centershot
Had Johnboy from here add some spiderwebbing to my Hunter. Looks pretty cool in my opinion.
[Linked Image]

Does look nice. Not his first rodeo.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
[Linked Image]

That looks good! Definitely better than the OEM stock sans paint. cool:

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He did a nice job. Quick turn around and very reasonable. Highly recommend. That rifle is for sale if someone is looking for a very nice Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Woodhits,

That is solid, for sure. I like it.

I built this one for my Z-71. Not as solid as yours, but works OK. Easy to set up, faster than setting up my three legged bench with pipe legs. The Gibraltar drum throne makes a great bench rest seat. Have posted this before.

Three brackets welded like this one (bottom photo) with threaded iron pipes cut to the right length, make a great bench. I have long pipes for shooting big DG rifles. It positions the bench at chest level. The bench is two 3/4" plywood pieces glued together, shaped a lot like your bench, the three brackets bolted in place to form a triangle. The hole in the pipe is handy for screwing the pipes tightly into the bracket.

DF

Cool setup, DF!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have two but wish I had not sold my 300WSM classic now...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (257wthbylover, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 204guy, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,602
Posts18,492,305
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.