Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
First, yes I do realize this is a ridiculous comparison.. A twenty dollar plastic handled factory boning knife versus a craftsman built beauty. Still.. If only for fun..

Shot a jake the other day. Decided to use both these knives to breast and remove thighs etc. Ingram 4L in S30V and the Victorinox Forschner 6" curved boning knife. Both new and unused. I had read on this forum rave-ups about the boning knife and was curious how they would compare.

What I found was the Ingram was an absolute pleasure to cut with. It required no work, no pushing/pulling. Meat effortlessly separated in front of it. Comfortable in my hand and perfectly balanced.

The Victorinox? Not so much. Now maybe mine was dull out of the box, I'm not sure. The curved back blade was not useful to me in this admittedly limited application. The knife required much more force from me to make the identical cuts as the Ingram. I will say though that I do appreciate a little flex in a blade when boning, so...

Maybe my next custom will be a semi flexible boning knife.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like comparing a savage axis to precision rifle built by a master gunsmith. Both will shoot, and savage axis usually shoot quite well, but not in the same league in many departments. Knives really are simple tools, put the right edge on a hardened and ground down chunk of lawnmower blade and it will perform a competent job of cutting, but it is not in the same league as a custom knife with good steel and heat treat put together by a master blade smith.

I’m not saying it was stupid to compare them in your post by the way, some would say a knife is a knife is a knife and have no love for customs. I build customs and love the lines on a well made knife, love the whole process, the skill one has to develop and the gratification of the end product. I don’t have the same love for custom rifles, I appreciate them but don’t have the same desire to own them. To each their own.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

you make a comparison.....and then say you don't know if the production knife was sharp?...…...apples to oranges....bob

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by BobMt

you make a comparison.....and then say you don't know if the production knife was sharp?...…...apples to oranges....bob

Yes Bob, I was suffering under the apparently unreasonable expectation that a knife should in fact be sharp. Won't happen again.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by longarm
First, yes I do realize this is a ridiculous comparison.. A twenty dollar plastic handled factory boning knife versus a craftsman built beauty. Still.. If only for fun..

Shot a jake the other day. Decided to use both these knives to breast and remove thighs etc. Ingram 4L in S30V and the Victorinox Forschner 6" curved boning knife. Both new and unused. I had read on this forum rave-ups about the boning knife and was curious how they would compare.

What I found was the Ingram was an absolute pleasure to cut with. It required no work, no pushing/pulling. Meat effortlessly separated in front of it. Comfortable in my hand and perfectly balanced.

The Victorinox? Not so much. Now maybe mine was dull out of the box, I'm not sure. The curved back blade was not useful to me in this admittedly limited application. The knife required much more force from me to make the identical cuts as the Ingram. I will say though that I do appreciate a little flex in a blade when boning, so...

Maybe my next custom will be a semi flexible boning knife.

Vickeys are about $4 up here, make a great bait cuttin knife... that being said, I got Hank duping one for me, exact, with a deer/elk horn handle... should be a dandy as I like the design

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Likely my next move too, Judman

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, you are correct about the comparison.

The Victorinox Forschner 6" curved boning knife is an industry standard for a boning table. Sharpen it first. If you want a tool that you can sharpen and keep sharp without a care about the cost, it is a commercial boning knife.

They are a throw-away item and intended to be sharpened daily by folks who use them for a full shift. You steel them to keep them going through the day. They sharpen to shaving hair with little effort for good reason.

If you want perfection in a knife for beauty and balance mirroring the ability of the craftsman who hand-made it--get a custom.

Customs also require sharpening with time...:)

Defend the Constitution
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Longarm, this is the victornox I’m referring too, the parer...
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Looks like a very useful little blade. What steel and what thickness are you and Hank going for?
Looks like you are on your way towards an epic meal there

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shiit I’ll have to ask him. I told him I want it exact, maybe a smidge thicker... ya fresh elk tenderloin ain’t bad!!! Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Looks like we're reading off the same menu. Coupla nights ago.. Venison burgers with sautéed morels on top and antelope backstraps. Life is good
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Looks like 13c26 or nitro v abel is what hanks thinking. I trust him with what ever he decides...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Looks like we're reading off the same menu. Coupla nights ago.. Venison burgers with sautéed morels on top and antelope backstraps. Life is good
[Linked Image]

Nice think I got a couple packs of antelope left, wish those fuuckers were double the size!! Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Or that I could draw a decent tag in my own state more often than once every decade and a half..

I'll be interested to hear your report on that blade. Both steels look promising

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Judman
Looks like 13c26 or nitro v abel is what hanks thinking. I trust him with what ever he decides...

I've done a pile of little parers of various styles in AEB-L from .060ish stock full flat ground, less than .010 edge. Even up to HRC 61-62 they just keep on slicing.
My wife recently used one to clean and de-vein hundreds of pounds of fresh shrimp in brackish water over a couple of days. There was zero corrosion, and even using only an inch or so of the blade the edge was till like a scalpel.
PERFECT choice for this style knife IMO...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Menefeee 12 ga is close....and oh so sweet.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

Menefeee 12 ga is close....and oh so sweet.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is a very good knife for quartering out game.I'm thinking about getting one made.Just enough curve to get in those tight places.Just a great knife for people who know how to appreciate a knife made for the job.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Journeyman

I've done a pile of little parers of various styles in AEB-L from .060ish stock full flat ground, less than .010 edge. Even up to HRC 61-62 they just keep on slicing.
My wife recently used one to clean and de-vein hundreds of pounds of fresh shrimp in brackish water over a couple of days. There was zero corrosion, and even using only an inch or so of the blade the edge was till like a scalpel.
PERFECT choice for this style knife IMO...

Good deal! Any pics of your parers?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Look forward to seeing that one.

Might have to “plagarize” that one.

Vickeys are about $4 up here, make a great bait cuttin knife... that being said, I got Hank duping one for me, exact, with a deer/elk horn handle... should be a dandy as I like the design

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BobMt

Yes Bob, I was suffering under the apparently unreasonable expectation that a knife should in fact be sharp. Won't happen again.

Lemme know if you have any concerns when your package arrives.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (222ND, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.