Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya did good, ND!

A co., that I worked for, closed the plant and auctioned off all the equipment. There was a small 5', hand operated brake for sheet metal. I sure wanted the small brake, but it wasn't to be. I dont remember what it sold for, but it was way out of my range.

One lady bought at least 1/3 of the machinery at that auction. Several 18-wheelers rolled in the day after the auction, was loaded with the equipment the lady bought, and hauled it to Mexico.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pretty amazing to a hammer-and-Duct tape guy! My professional work was also with “my hands” but in a much different way.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The company I worked for for thirty-nine years was started by William A. Whitney, who also started Roper-Whitney (also known as Whitney Metal Tool and Whitney-Jensen}. There was some confusion as to which one was first, but he lost them both due to alcoholism. Both were located originally in the old water power district in Rockford, IL. Roper-Whitney and W. A.Whitney competed in the hand tool line for many years; shortly before I started in 1966, WAW moved into hydraulic equipment, and heavier material, while R-W remained in hand operated sheet metal equipment. The Roper in the name is linked to the Roper stove company, through common ownership many years ago. It is gratifying to see an classic piece of machinery returned to use.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by bigolddave
The company I worked for for thirty-nine years was started by William A. Whitney, who also started Roper-Whitney (also known as Whitney Metal Tool and Whitney-Jensen}. There was some confusion as to which one was first, but he lost them both due to alcoholism. Both were located originally in the old water power district in Rockford, IL. Roper-Whitney and W. A.Whitney competed in the hand tool line for many years; shortly before I started in 1966, WAW moved into hydraulic equipment, and heavier material, while R-W remained in hand operated sheet metal equipment. The Roper in the name is linked to the Roper stove company, through common ownership many years ago. It is gratifying to see an classic piece of machinery returned to use.

Awesome information and confirmation that my post was not a waste of time.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by wabigoon
How did you do that kind of work before you bought it Sir David?

I have a $hitty joke of a brake, Chinese junk. Advertised as a 4 ft 16 gauge but it springs and flexes, frustrating.

It's for sale now, want to buy it? It's really good....

lol

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
my buddy who builds dirt track modified roundy round cars has one of those. used it a couple times years ago.

Last edited by stxhunter; 04/25/19.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's a nice unit Dave. I used one of those many, many years ago when I was a kid, had to walk to work uphill both ways and the one I used was bigger...........

An FYI, If you get your fingers in the wrong place on that thing you will no longer have to look around for a set of segmented fingers. wink

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
The welding shop I bought it from had used it for aluminum dirt track bodies for about 10 yrs.

Doesn't look like they knew how to set it up though, it's got some pretty precision adjustments that can be made that make a huge difference in how it performs. We got it dialed in, super happy with it.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by 12344mag
That's a nice unit Dave. I used one of those many, many years ago when I was a kid, had to walk to work uphill both ways and the one I used was bigger...........

An FYI, If you get your fingers in the wrong place on that thing you will no longer have to look around for a set of segmented fingers. wink

Smiling...

good humor.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool it bends metal.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very cool!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Very cool find. Wait until the dirt track racers around there find out you have it. They'll be wearing you out!

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A leaf brake is much handier than a press brake for one off jobs, plus you only have to change the radius bar instead of top and bottom dies.

Do you still remember the formula for calculating bend deduction ? 😀

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Nice pictures and all, but gotta say-I like Fieldgrade and ElkHunterNMs more better.

FJB & FJT
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by curdog4570
A leaf brake is much handier than a press brake for one off jobs, plus you only have to change the radius bar instead of top and bottom dies.

Do you still remember the formula for calculating bend deduction ? 😀

do tell.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Had no idea either !

That thing is awesome.

I've got a pipe bender, for doing exhaust bending/flaring/reducing, love that thing.

Reminds me, I need to source the right dies for square tubing, got a couple of trailers that need some work !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
That thing is old school cool! cool

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've used the same brand, maybe one size smaller, same color green as yours was before blasting. As you probably know, the fingers will be very handy. If local searches in your state & Wi. don''t turn up anything, check the Cinci. & Clev. Oh. used machinery dealers. The ones I used to visit in the Cinci. area had tons of the older stuff.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Congrat's on the new to you equipment.
Looks like you will be doing some new projects with it.

Have some fun while doing them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have access to one of those when ever I need to bend some metal. I have done a lot of cool stuff with it.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.