Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
kiwi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A friend here in NZ has a friend in Canada who picked up some rifles from an old gentleman who was not in the best health and none of the family had an interest in firearms
Upon getting them home he started cleaning them and this was one of the rifles
I'll upload them and send him the link to the forum and hopefully he will be along
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
GB1

kiwi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
More info
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Graham
kiwi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
And More info
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Amazing what is still coming to the surface
enjoy

Graham
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is good stuff.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Is that a full length rib on that barrel? I've never seen such a thing on a 99.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
IC B2

kiwi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have never seen a rib on the barrel like that either
I think the stock is a replacement but will wait for more learned comment
the owner has written to savage arms to try for a letter I understand

Graham
kiwi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Something else the owner turned up was that
Herman Hulman Jr. Is the Grandfather of Tony Hulman who purchased and owned the Indianapolis Speedway.

Graham
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
What a great find Graham, agree the butt stock does'nt look right but the fore end does maybe he broke it and had a replaced, sure has some interesting history

Johno

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Im pretty sure the Fug99 has a rifle with a full rib like that! Iv seen one somewhere!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlering
Im pretty sure the Fug99 has a rifle with a full rib like that! Iv seen one somewhere!

He does. More than one.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We talked about this rifle over on the FB Savage 99 Club last week. More info and pics is over there.
The owner got the rifle and a photo album full of pictures and info of the time.
The rifle was purchased from an 81 yr. old gentleman named Benjamin David Sheffield III. Original owners grandson.
The owner has an interest in the history of the rifle and I was able to provide some other information and resources.
Anybody else have personalized Savage rifle? Let me know...

TIMELINE
1903: Benjamin Sheffield purchases the Lovell and Smith homesteads and begins construction on his Teton Lodge.
1906: Sheffied marries Margaret Rice, and the two manage the Lodge.
1907: Sheffield purchases the Allen property that includes the Elk Horn Hotel, the Moran post office and a small mercantile.
1910: A disastrous fire followed by a flood nearly levels the Teton Lodge. The Sheffields decide to rebuild and create a successful Lodge capable of housing up to 300 guests.
1911-1916: Jackson Lake dam construction brings a lot of business into the Moran area.
1929: Sheffield sells his property, effectively selling the town of Moran to the Snake River Land Company. The Company, seeing the advantage of keeping the Teton Lodge open for tourists, hands management over to the Teton Investment Company. In the 1950s, this would transform into the Grand Teton Lodge Company which manages the Jackson Lake Lodge today.
1935: The Teton Lodge’s main building burns down.
1950-59: The Grand Teton Lodge Company moves most of the old Sheffield cabins up to Colter Bay. What can’t be moved is torn or burned down. The town site is re-graded and re-vegetated. Today, nothing remains of the original town of Moran.
1955: The Jackson Lake Lodge is constructed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
That's AWESOME ! 👍

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
You had me with the engraving and the back story, not to mention that really neat factory solid rib (which I never saw before). The unfortunate butt treatment spoiled it for me, but it is what it is.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
kiwi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Its great to see history like this turn up

Graham
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The butt can be replaced with something more "correct". Cool rib!

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's grizzly grade engraving. It was the highest grade engraving before the Monarch grade was introduced about 1904//5. The forearm looks like an EG. I guess they could have had a Monte Carlo stock in 1901 and a recoil pad but it just looks too modern to me.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have seen the rib on another 99, can't remember if it was in an auction or an on line auciton

R
R
Hi all, I like to elaborate a little more on this rifle. I am the present owner of this 1899 and have in a very short period of time been able to put together some interesting providence on the history of the rifle. With regards to the butt stock, as everyone is in aggreement the stock on the gun is not the original stock. The rifle came with another stock which is a standard straight grip with steel butt plate also not the original. The original stock is available but just could not be located in the house at the time of purchase. The previous owner assured me he has it but at this time he is going through cancer treatment and I did not not want to push the matter.

As mentioned in a previous post I do have a number of photos taken in the 20s and 30s of the original owner and of his original lodge and hunting and fishing trips.

One thing the is a mystery is the Aug. 30 1901 date on the rifle. Talking with family they could not shed any insight to the reference to this date. I also believe the DOM of the gun is a little later then 1901. I am waiting from the Historical Records Dept. of Savage Firearms for this confirmation. This may shed some light on the butt stock configuration.

The 3 books that I have on 1899 Savages makes no mention of a ramp barrel ever being offered and have never seen one before. It is interesting that there are more out there as mentioned in a previous post. I have a large number of catalogues from the major Firearm Auction houses in the US and have been going through in search of another 1899 Savage with a heavy ramped matted barrel.

Thanks for all the interest and comments and will keep all posted on updates.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The serial number falls into the 1901 range published in the July 1980 American Rifleman magazine, which differs from other sources, but is believed to be more accurate for the early Savage years.

1900 Catalog options.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by KeithNyst; 04/27/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RoadKing1998
One thing the is a mystery is the Aug. 30 1901 date on the rifle. Talking with family they could not shed any insight to the reference to this date. I also believe the DOM of the gun is a little later then 1901.

Welcome to the Savage Collector forum Roadking/Brian!
The serial number indicates 1901 time period and the inscription is Aug. 30, 1901 which is likely when produced and presented so looks like DOM of 1901 to me.
I'll bet when you receive the factory letter the DOM was sometime previous to Aug. 30, and feel free to share that info once received.

All,
On the catalog page Keith posted above there is an extra for "matted barrel - $5". Do you think the matted barrel is what we are calling a "rib"??

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.