Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wanting a new scope for a Bergara Woodsman that is extremely accurate and could quite possibly benefit from a scope with a bit more power. Currently the rifle has a 3-9x40 Freedom w/ CDS (surprisingly good scope BTW). I'm a little nervous about a scope with that much power having parallax issues. I have seen a version with side focus but it's a 30mm tube which I'm not crazy about. I do really like the CDS with a simple duplex reticle Don't care for busy reticles, dots that are only accurate on max power or growing/shrinking reticles (FFP). This rifle ultimately is a deer/elk rifle used in open country, but is a lot of fun to shoot little groups with at 100 yards or ding steel plates out to 5-600 yards. Would like to keep it around $500 but have also considered the Nightforce SHV - that would really stretch what I'm willing to pay for a scope though. I currently think that the VX3i 3.5-10x40 CDS is my first choice. Thoughts?

Last edited by centershot; 04/27/19.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Centershot: I own several Leupold 4.5x14 variable scopes. I have them on both Varmint and Rifles.
They are great scopes. Reliable, bright and indeed the "extra" power comes in very handy.
All of mine have the fine Du-Plex reticles and that is a handy aid in long range shooting as well - once set-up for use of the top of the vertical Du-Plex diminishing point.
On the used market (remember the Leupold lifetime warranty!) you can find them for well under your "$500.00" mark!
I have several 3.5x10 Leupolds also and for your stated purposes I would opt for the 4.5x14.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
By the way I much prefer the Leupold 4.5x14's with the adjustable objectives.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That would be a good option you will be right on the line as far as needing parallax adjustment. This is why I usually stop at 10x. I have an older VX-3 on a 300 WM and I have never once wanted either more or less scope. I have wished someone else could carry it for me while elk hunting but that is par for the course.

You might want to also look at some of the Meopta scopes Cameraland has on sale. Here is a nice one in your price range, https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0137-06f9-00163e90e196?variation=1927203

A little heavier, good optics, less eye relief/eyebox but good enough. I would have to look at them side by side with the VX3i to see the differences but I think the Meopro will win out.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's all about what you like, the only two scopes I've owned over 12x I sold. I hate a parallax adjustment personally.
Recently purchased two Leupold 2-12 power and I believe they are perfect for my hunting style.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one with the b&c reticle and love it. Very clear

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Centershot: I own several Leupold 4.5x14 variable scopes. I have them on both Varmint and Rifles.
They are great scopes. Reliable, bright and indeed the "extra" power comes in very handy.
All of mine have the fine Du-Plex reticles and that is a handy aid in long range shooting as well - once set-up for use of the top of the vertical Du-Plex diminishing point.
On the used market (remember the Leupold lifetime warranty!) you can find them for well under your "$500.00" mark!
I have several 3.5x10 Leupolds also and for your stated purposes I would opt for the 4.5x14.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I have some 3.5x10’s, but a good many 4.5x14’s. I would go with the 4.5x14x40’s. I got lucky, got a new CDS model today on GunBroker for 300.00. I can see well before and well after legal shooting hours. I have some 50 mm, but the 40’s are just as good.

Last edited by hanco; 04/27/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I have some 3.5x10’s, but a good many 4.5x14’s. I would go with the 4.5x14x40’s. I got lucky, got a new CDS model today on GunBroker for 300.00. I can see well before and well after legal shooting hours. I have some 50 mm, but the 40’s are just as good.

Hanco, do the models you have, have the side focus(parallax adjustment)? and how do you like them. I have been looking at these models in 30mm and 1'', also looked at the VX5 3-15, currently debating between the 3 for my 85 Finnlight 270 wsm

Dont eat the big white mint!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Some of each. 30mm tubesx 40mm. 30mm tubesx50mm 1”x40, 1”x 50. I like them all. I have the 30mmx50mm side focus models on 300 Win mags, 300 Weatherby’s, 26 Nosler rifles.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have have owned 3 Leupold 4.5-14x40s. The first was std duplex, AO. I bought it in the early-mid '90s to go on a Ruger 77 VT .25-'06. I kept it when I sold the gun. It became my long action varmint / sendero scope of choice, then rode on a .221 FB LVSF and on a .17 FB SPS. Someone offered me more money for the SPS than I had into it, including scope, brass, bullets, etc, so I took their offer .. a mistake I think. I replaced it with a non-AO version with the Varmint Hunter crosshairs. That scope rides on a very light 700 .204 Ruger. The other came from the custom shop. I wanted AO, FD crosshairs, and CDS, and those weren't offered together. It's been on a number of rifles. Currently it is on a Ruger MPR.

I like these scopes quite a lot. I haven't had any issues, optical or mechanical. I think they're a great fit for something like a Sendero in .300 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag, or even for a heavy sporter in a slightly lighter chambering. The bottom end is comfortable for most hunting use ... there isn't a lot of general purpose need for anything below 4X. Top end is high enough to spot your holes on paper at 200 yards .. and a 300 yards for ,30 cal. Useful. Just plain useful.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They are great for my use! The rifles that have Redfield scopes have Leupolds now

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of the 4.5-14x40 AO, both with the Varmint Hunter reticle. Excellent scopes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never fingered a VX3i 4.5-14x40, but a 4.5-14x40 VXII AO is on my .221 Fireball and while I like it a lot on a varmint rifle, the exit pupil diameter is very small compared to my other scopes. That is okay when one has lots of time to perfectly align ones head behind the scope for the full fov, but not so good for a faster shot opportunity. I bought the scope used from a guy who had the same complaint when he had it on his deer rifle.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting thread.

I’m currently on the verge of ordering a vx3i in 4.5x14x40, 30mm, sf to run on my SPS 700 in .204.
There’s an inexpensive variable on board now that goes to 21x with sf - but its clarity runs out (for me) at about 12x and the reticle is thicker than I like.

I’ve heard complaints about the eye box @ high power, but since it’s on a dedicated small varmint rig I don’t believe that’ll be an issue.
Really looking for a clean, clear field of view and the ability to rule out parallax and better reticle (Duplex for me).

1” vs 30mm is irrelevant, as I won’t need the extra ele/wind adjustment, but I can’t seem to find it in 1” with sf.

This is really just a fun gun for ground squirrels, sage rats/chucks and staffing rocks as far off as I think I can - so pretty deliberate shooting. For a walk about coyote calling/truck rig I have a .223 with a Leupold 3x9 and a more sensible trigger.

About the only question I may have is: how important is sf for this use?
JB wrote that anything around 12x and up would benefit from it - what are you guys that have them finding?

BT

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I own several of the VX3i 4.5x14x40 scopes, I have 2 that don't have the A.O. or the side focus. they do have a bit of an issue with parallax in certain conditions 12x and above. I was shooting one yesterday and didn't even notice it, other times it will get me a bit tense.
I have several with the AO and no complaints but the side focus is faster and easier, it's just that you have to go 30mm to get side focus.
As for reticles I have tried most of the one's that Leupold offer's, The target crosshair was a mistake for a hunting rifle (crosshairs so small you can't see them in certain situations) The mil dot reticle is dreadful. Not really even much of a fan of the Boone&Crockett, my favorite is just the fine duplex

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like the fine duplex too. I don’t like the thick one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boatanchor/handco,

Thanks for the replies 👍

I don’t like a messy reticle and prefer the standard or even a fine duplex.
So it looks like my mind is made up, now.

I can buy the scope in 30mm with sf and duplex for $533.
I’ll get it ordered this week and go find some rings.

BT53

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I think you will like it, let us know how it works for you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
I think you will like it, let us know how it works for you.

Will do 👍

That .204 is a laser! Tiny little groups with the 39 gr Sierra.
But, can’t hit what can’t see, hoping this will be a big step forward.

BT53

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Boatanchor/handco,

Thanks for the replies 👍

Will be interested in what you think of this scope. I'm leaning 3.5-10x40 - it's a little leaner with the 1" tube (and I already have Tally 1" rings) 10X top end should be fine without side focus and it primarily is a big game hunting rifle. 500 yards is still a very long shot to me. But - a Nightforce SVH 3-10 is still weighing on my mind - buy once, cry once?

Last edited by centershot; 04/29/19.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Boatanchor/handco,

Thanks for the replies 👍

Will be interested in what you think of this scope. I'm leaning 3.5-10x40 - it's a little leaner with the 1" tube (and I already have Tally 1" rings) 10X top end should be fine without side focus and it primarily is a big game hunting rifle. 500 yards is still a very long shot to me. But - a Nightforce SVH 3-10 is still weighing on my mind - buy once, cry once?

Our needs are different. Mine is for a light varminter where I need a bit more power and better resolution than I’m currently getting.
If it were for a big game rifle, I’d definitely lean towards the 3.5x10 or more so the 2.5x8.... my fav.

This rig will see way more shooting than carrying, while my game guns get to go for long walks.
I like your thinking here: “Buy once, cry once”...... this will be a $100 saddle on a $20 horse.

BT53

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (38HBWC, 35, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 12 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 863 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,025
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.