Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I've got somewhere around a dozen muzzle loaders, simply more than I need.
Most are older T/C's - some sidelock, some in line, none newer than a Black Diamond.
The ones I have shot all shoot very well, and I'm willing to hunt with any of them though I prefer the in lines while I'm wearing a tag.

I also have a Remington 700, a White Lightning and a MK-85 all in .50
Picked them up here and there, all stainless, all near new, all never fired by me so any of them could be gems or lemons.

I don't really know much about any of those 3, and if I cut my battery in half 1, maybe 2 will go.

Which of them would you hold on to, and why?

FYI - if the White is limited to heavy bullets (I've "heard" that) thats OK with me. I'm not recoil sensitive.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well if you ever want to try using the newest wonderpowder, BH209, the Remington with a Hunter bolt nose conversion is the only one that'll make the cut. The White and the Knight are both great rifles but can't be made BH209 compatible. The Whites are rifled with heavy conicals in mind, but mine shoot sabots fine also. Vice versa for the Knight MK-85, designed for sabots but conicals work fine.

(I'd probably keep all 3)

Last edited by tmitch; 04/25/19.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Good point about the Remington and BH209.
Thanks for all the info.

Yeah, I could keep all 3 (they don't eat much. ha ha) but I really do have too many. And all fairly similar.

One of these days I'd like to find a good clean flintlock too.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm in the same boat..........too many inlines and not enough time to use em all. I justify keeping them because A. they didn't cost much to buy and B. they're not high dollar collectables (although some Whites go for decent $$) I have both a Remington 700ML and a Ruger 77/50 that I converted with the bolt nose kit. It turned them into great BH209 compatible rifles that I would choose over any inline available today.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
What is the bolt nose kit?
I'm used to seeing the 209 adapters on in lines, but didn't know the Remington would need anything like that.

Thanks again

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Remington 700 MZ stainless - with one of these:

https://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/p10/700ML_KIT.html

Pretty slick set up from what little I've played with mine - I can get a flame 12 inches out of the muzzle with just the primer, pretty sure it'll light anything in front of it.

The White - a keeper, they don't make them without going directly to Doc, and that will end one day - enough collectors want these that it's a good investment, IMHO.

The Knight - good rifle, but if not used - send it down the road.

Some of the TCs are creeping up in price, in the side lock version, the TC in-lines don't seem to hold a lot of value - unless wood-stocked, or the Omega series.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep, that's the one. I bought the kits for my Remington and Ruger direct from "Hunter" before his association with Badger Ridge. Will agree, of the percussion cap inlines the White is the one to keep. The last whitetail I took with a ML fell to my White Super Safari

Charter Member

szihn

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Have you got an T/C Omega .50 in stainless?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My choice would be the White or mk-85 just because I really like them.. owned 5-6 Rem 700`s and while accurate I just prefer the latter.. Im in the same boat as you have 35 muzzleloaders bunch of Whites, Knights, T/C etc and can never decide which to keep and which to sell..so dont get rid of any just hang on walls or sit in closet waiting to be shot or hunted with, have at least half Ive never shot yet.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by kragman1
I've got somewhere around a dozen muzzle loaders, simply more than I need.
Most are older T/C's - some sidelock, some in line, none newer than a Black Diamond.
The ones I have shot all shoot very well, and I'm willing to hunt with any of them though I prefer the in lines while I'm wearing a tag.

I also have a Remington 700, a White Lightning and a MK-85 all in .50
Picked them up here and there, all stainless, all near new, all never fired by me so any of them could be gems or lemons.

I don't really know much about any of those 3, and if I cut my battery in half 1, maybe 2 will go.

Which of them would you hold on to, and why?

FYI - if the White is limited to heavy bullets (I've "heard" that) thats OK with me. I'm not recoil sensitive.

I would be interested if you plan to sell some of the older sidelock T/C muzzle loaders.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 29aholic, 56 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.