Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 27 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 26 27
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Ain’t the last guy to be done in by a decreasing radius turn eek My guess is he was trying to run with the guy on the sport bike. Now, had he been on a KLR there woulda been no problem.

You're an idiot.

Dude, a KLR prob’ly got another ten degrees of lean angle on that big ol’ Harley. My guess is Harley guy, easily PO’d as many seem to be, got butthurt when sportbike guy blitzed by him a bit earlier. He certainly looks PO’d when he gets up, doesn’t even look at his bike.

JMHO of course.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jahrs
My ‘78 R100/7 gets it done for me. Very dependable and will do 115 - 120 easily. She will run 75 easy all day long.

Congrats cool, you might be the coolest guy here smile

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 340boy
A lot of people get killed on Mulholland Drive. I've never ridden it, but my brother has, and he couldn't believe the kind of speeds these guys do.

Me and my brother were passed by a guy like that on the Tail of the Dragon at Deal’s Gap, he was on a moto of some kind, passes us one-handed in a turn, waving at us with the other grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of people get killed on Mulholland Drive. I've never ridden it, but my brother has, and he couldn't believe the kind of speeds these guys do.

Me and my brother were passed by a guy like that on the Tail of the Dragon at Deal’s Gap, he was on a moto of some kind, passes us one-handed in a turn, waving at us with the other grin

Some people have a gift for riding a motorcycle, no doubt.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks for the heads-up, those Warriors are indeed awesome bikes.

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...OK, how about for lean angles: 3) MORE THAN A HARLEY
...Harleys just ain’t quick or agile enough for many riders, not just me... if they WERE a Harley club, even you would be able to run away from ‘em on almost anything else, like a Bergmann fer example...

You really just don't know WTF you're talking about.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Dynas are still popular in Southern California.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My ideal bike is the one that fits in the back of the van I drive to where the good corners start. I just got tired of all the straight, boring, dangerous roads and drivers in between the good bits. I consider myself lucky to have sampled some wonderful, wonderful roads all around the West. like 3 6 and 20 in California, and I was a weekly Sunday Morning Ride regular and every other evening on the Alice's Restaurant figure eight on the Peninsula. The closest thing to all that around here is maybe the Beartooth, but that's 8 hours away by car.
When I lived in Colorado, I would take my bike in the van to Winter Park before sunrise and do the Front Range secondary highways, hopefully in time to beat the dammable summer afternoon monsoons. Sometimes I didn't, and it was bad enough having to get back to Winter Park or Dillon in pouring hail, much less a cold bath all the way back home to Steamboat.

Will probably get back into the game this year. I want a "traditional" or a "standard" or a "naked bike." No fairings, lots of ground clearance, Superbike bars, mild rear-set pegs, very mild on that.

I suspect I will take the "safe" approach and look for an Eddie Lawson replica, as I've still got my KZ750 E (the electronic modules died and it's a grand to get spark again). Some kind of Ducati naked in 750-900 also appeals to me. As long as the riding position is well balanced at highway speeds, I'm happy.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pal
...OK, how about for lean angles: 3) MORE THAN A HARLEY
...Harleys just ain’t quick or agile enough for many riders, not just me... if they WERE a Harley club, even you would be able to run away from ‘em on almost anything else, like a Bergmann fer example...

You really just don't know WTF you're talking about.

OK, I’ll ‘fess up, I threw in the ”even you would be able to run away from ‘em on almost anything else” comment because I figured you would prob’ly read it. Sorry.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Ain’t Dynas currently dropped from the lineup? A puzzle that.

Anyhoo, that’s the Harley I want, what mods you figure he did on it? Or did they all lean like that right off of the showroom floor.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I suspect I will take the "safe" approach and look for an Eddie Lawson replica, as I've still got my KZ750 E (the electronic modules died and it's a grand to get spark again). Some kind of Ducati naked in 750-900 also appeals to me. As long as the riding position is well balanced at highway speeds, I'm happy.

The Mean Green Machine! You and I must be of about the same age.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Ain’t Dynas currently dropped from the lineup? A puzzle that.

Anyhoo, that’s the Harley I want, what mods you figure he did on it? Or did they all lean like that right off of the showroom floor.

I don't know. But Dynas are directly descended from the FXR which was what Sonny Barger started riding when they came out. As a result, FXR's have a cult like following in California.

Bay area style Dynas generally have high bars, quarter fairings, and high, mid mount pegs. From there it's however much money the owner wants to spend on it.

Lot's of those young Dyna riders in California build them hot with quality, aftermarket suspension, brakes, ect,......and they ride the schitt out of them.

They seem to get a kick out of building up a big twin Dyna and then riding it like a sport bike. They've got their own way.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...Dynas are directly descended from the FXR which was what Sonny Barger started riding when they came out. As a result, FXR's have a cult like following in California...

The FXR's cult-like following has very little to do with Sonny Barger, but everything to do with the fact that it was Harley's best handling motorcycle (due to Eric Buell's design genius) and had the EVO rubber-mounted motor.

Though I'd previously owned many motorcycles, it wasn't until 1989 that I bought my first Harley, a brand new FXRS Convertible (my favorite of all my bikes). Many years later I got a 2009 Dyna Superglide Custom in the identical color scheme to the one you had. My last bike, which I just sold last year, was a 2006 Sportster 883/1200 Custom.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by pal
...Dynas are directly descended from the FXR which was what Sonny Barger started riding when they came out. As a result, FXR's have a cult like following in California...

The FXR's cult-like following has very little to do with Sonny Barger, .

Bullshit.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Learning how to ride corners is the best, far and away the best part of riding a motorcycle, IMO. I guess I just don't get the cruiser mentality. Nothing wrong with it, it's just not my thing.
YMMV of course.

+1

A cruiser that can just rumble along with a friend comfortably on the back, But which can be stuck hard into a corner when the need arises.

Could be them worked over, high peg Dynas are the Holy Grail. A cinch then things can pull 80 two-up on the highway all day too.

Tks Bristoe

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Whatever you think. Some of those young boys seem to be able to toss a 700 lb Dyna around. Seems to me you'd need to be a fast healer to do it enough to get good at it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by joken2

Never was much for seeing how fast I could take a curve and dragging foot pegs, myself. I'd imagine on hot soft asphalt it could get real sporty real quick, too. Always seemed like it's just begging for one of those 'not if, but when' things to happen.

As always, YMMV.

Always easy to benchrace, but it looked like that guy was suffering from target fixation or maybe lack thereof. The bike of course will go where you are looking, or try to.

Looks like after nearly losing it the guy was sorta rattled and thinking “oh crap, I’m about to run off the road”, and did, right where he was looking. If he had looked where he wanted to go he might have got there. JMHO.

Not necessarily a given...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My buddies make a living riding FXR’s and FXDX’s. Started as a hobby of showing what is possible on a Harley and turned into a clothing company and being part of Monster energy power sports team. They travel the country riding and [bleep] off. Hot women and parties surround every minute of their life. Bay Area boys that moved south to make it big and rub elbows with correct folks. I thought they were crazy when they left good jobs to pursue this dream. Turns out I was the crazy one. Had the pleasure of riding with them as things progressed and wheelied the piss out out of everything when making the first videos. Long before the professional videographers and helicopters used in their films now. Hard to believe now we shared the same little league ball fields and Christmas Eve parties. Unknown industries. Here is a link to their website and YouTube videos. Amazing stuff. Still got my FXDX though I think that chapter in my life is closing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oDEK2XTGbN8
https://shop.unknownindustries.com
https://m.youtube.com/user/113rideordie

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought those guys had custom frame and all new suspension. They're wild whatever they ride.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jahrs
My ‘78 R100/7 gets it done for me. Very dependable and will do 115 - 120 easily. She will run 75 easy all day long.

Had a 79 R100RS. Same deal. Good weather protection, light, fast enough, good mpg. Put a lot of miles on it. The current 2009 FXDL is interesting. While they don't have a huge amount of lean angle available, they DO have a very low center of gravity. You can get away with not cranking the thing over as much as something with a higher center of gravity. Works pretty good. I certainly haven't ridden it even remotely aggressively, but it's very light handling for a 672 pound motorcycle. Gobs of low and midrange torque, make it entertaining, as well. Not sure what will drag on it, and how much it would upset the thing, but it isn't set up to do that kind of riding, and while you could, it's not the right tool. More fun to enjoy the niche it was designed for. Same with any bike. That's why there is no such thing as an all around vehicle. THEY don't adapt , YOU do.

Page 9 of 27 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 61 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,909
Posts18,518,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.