-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just bought my third SWFA SS scope a week ago. Bought a 10x42 MOA about 7 years ago for 200 yard .22 silhouette matches, then a 10x42 mil-quad a few weeks ago and finally a 12x42 mil-quad during their tax day sale, all with 30mm tubes.

With the cost of top level scopes being what they are I can't afford to experiment a lot. That first Tasco made scope had to go up and down some 17 MOA for the 200 yard matches and it did so very reliably. Glass was clear and I had no complaints with it at all. So when I was in the market for another target style scope they got the nod again. The mil-quad reticle is busier than I'm used to but it works as advertised.

I see these like Ruger American rifles - they do the basic job that's asked of them which is to allow the rifle to be pointed properly to hit the target. There are certainly better scopes out there (for a lot more money) but a lot of folks get by quite nicely with their Americans and for the informal range work these scopes will be used for I can't see spending a lot more money. They are a terrific value for the price.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Too bad they flubbed the new ultra light scope.

Yup. It would be perfect for my 257 bee ultra lightweight but not with 2"eye relief

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Glass is the most overrated, over-hyped element of scopes today. For typical big game hunting nearly any scope over about $200 will work fine during legal hours. Functionality can’t really be seen, and will only reveal itself over time by shooting. While the SWFA 6x will lose nearly any side-by-side “comparison” it will never prevent a shot due to glass. Drop the rifle, fall climbing a mountain, or dial for shots and suddenly the 6x gets more appealing.

I wish there was a standard for testing testing durability and repeatability.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
They’ll be collector items in a few years...

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just like Zeiss Terra.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What's a better dialing FF for $259 or $300?

A used one for $225.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Am still impressed with my 6x SWFA.

A little heavy, but no other bad marks. Am hoping that heaviness also means strength.

Sure is an easy scope to use.

Guy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm liking my fixed 6 SWFA as a utility hunting scope more than any scope I've used. Glass is better than VX2 IMO based on 1 comparison looking thru trees in the mountains.

I mounted a SWFA superlite on my Tikka 8 twist 223 and in comparing it side by side to my tikka with the 6 SWFA it's mounted 1/4" further back. I mounted the scope set on 6 power and if a person is willing to not crank it up to 10 my thoughts are the eye relief would be doable on a larger hunting rifle. I haven't formed much of an opinion on the superlite yet but will have a chance to use the hell out of it soon.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Great fixed focal lengths for long range bolts and terrific 1-4x for tacticals!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by prm
Glass is the most overrated, over-hyped element of scopes today. For typical big game hunting nearly any scope over about $200 will work fine during legal hours. Functionality can’t really be seen, and will only reveal itself over time by shooting. While the SWFA 6x will lose nearly any side-by-side “comparison” it will never prevent a shot due to glass. Drop the rifle, fall climbing a mountain, or dial for shots and suddenly the 6x gets more appealing.

I wish there was a standard for testing testing durability and repeatability.

Absolutely correct!

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ll take the nice glass as long as it holds zero.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Although important to some, glass clarity is close to the bottom on the list f things I worry about. There is a lot more swfa scopes out there so naturally there will be more used ones come up for sale.

I currently dig the Burris Veracity for hunting though.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree with the glass clarity as well Joel, never couldn't not kill something due to glass quality\light transmission....

What ya liking about the Burris so much? Never been around said model.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Reticle which gets me out to 90 percent of my shots, covered turrets with the option of a exposed elevation, paralax adjustment, tracking, forever warranty, ballistic calculations for reticle on their website, and price point. Basically checked a lot of the boxes for what's important to me.

The 2-10x 42 is robust and you pay a weight penalty compared to a 3-9 SS but I think it's worth it.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy that might have to give one a whirl.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.