-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OEM lubricants specified by various engine manufacturers are often not as good as what can be purchased as aftermarket product. Do they meet the spec for that manufacurers engine? They should, but that does not mean they will provide the same protection and long engine life one can find in other products. This was a lesson I learned years ago when rebuilding a certain make of rec-vehicle engines. The OEM lubricated engines had more issues with rings being gunked, pistons scuffed, etc., while engines running certain less expensive brands of quality oil were staying cleaner and requiring less maintenance for longer periods of time.

Do you run Honda coolant/antifreeze in your Honda automobile? Mopar coolant/AF in the Dodge? Did the Boeing 7?7 you last flew with use Boeing or P&W lube in those Pratt and Whitney engines - or was it a Shell or other branded oil?

My Honda outboard says to use 10W-30 rated to a certain API rating minimum. Unfortunately, I can't buy it without air freighting which gets very spendy in small volumes. I can buy Honda ATV/motorcycle oil in the 5W-30 weight, and Chevron and Castrol 10W-30 oils, all exceeding the API service rating. What to do???

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've owned two Yamaha 4 strokes in the past 6 years. I ALWAYS run synthetic in it after the break in period. I put on 200 hours each summer and have never had a problem. I usually change my oil every 100 hours. I run 10w-30 Valvoline Synthetic.

"Take your kid hunting, so you don't have to go hunting for your kid."

Ted Nugent
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I run triple 250 Yam 4 strokes(500 hrs). I use 10w30 penzoil per local dealer's rec. Thas all they use in house. He's one of the largest Yam dealers in the south, Cajun Outboards. YMMV

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Amsoil

"The liberals preach tolerance and diversity until presented with an opinion other than their own."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Heres an interesting link on the the Myths about 4-Stroke oil vs regular oil. Its very interesting, I didn't know you can use synthetic oil in a 4 stroke outboard. My favorite oil is Mobil 1 for everything else gas related, and Delo or Rotella in my truck.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/dukeOfOil.html

IC B2

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whatever the technical results...

I just completed my first (20hr) oil change on my Suzuki 175hp 4stroke, and I used Suzuki oil and filter.

Call it warranty peace of mind.

Brian

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya BW, I just got done servicing mine using Yamalube even though it didn't fare as well as some others in that test. It just gives me the warm and fuzzies putting Yamaha oil in my Yamaha engine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And that is the whole point I've been trying to make - you have no guarantee even with OEM, that you're getting the best protection. I get warm fuzzies when I've got new oil in my motors. And if you read the whole article by Grannis, you also undoubtedly saw the part about oil dilution. Well, if money matters, it is easier to run new oil when you pay half as much. That way, for the same price, you can change oil twice as often.

High tech oil which doubles the oil change interval may be a good idea on a high use road engine. On a marine engine with the many potential ways for the oil to be compromised, I look at it as a selling point. 100 hours is plenty of time on a periodic use marine engine. Even running an engine commercially for 16 hours a day, 100 hours is about one week's worth of use. I don't think that it too often in those conditions. Stretch that over six weeks instead and an even shorter interval doesn't sound so bad.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, when it comes to my boat motors... oil is cheap (no matter the price) and changed often.

But, I can't recommend anyone here buy a used truck from me. smile

Last edited by BW; 04/22/07.

Brian

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I get warm fuzzies when I've got new oil in my motors.

Klikitarik,

Sounds a little "kinky," eh? grin

I totally agree with the rest of the post though... wink

best,
bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, 13 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,972
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.