Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sunshine and I went to a gun show this weekend. At her suggestion! A LOT of AR type stuff. Very little vintage. One guy did have some nice old sporting firearms. Stopped and chatted while looking and what do you know? There was a VERY nice 23C sitting next to a 23B, an 1899B in 30-30 and an EG in 250-3000. All in nice condition. It made the trip seem worth it.

The 23C came home with us. S/N 112790. It's 90% plus. The butt plate has 50% finish loss. Light bluing loss at the sharp edges. A few light dings in the wood. I'll get the iron out today!

In between raindrops, I shot it yesterday. About 1.5" at 30ish yards offhand. Three inches low. A problem showed up during firing. Every time I cycled the bolt, the safety activated. Not normal, is it? I have not taken it apart yet to investigate, but I will today while I'm ironing.

I've spent some time with the search function this morning and it looks like I need a Savage No. 5 peep sight. Correct? Anyone have one for sale?

Doug

p.s. I also spent an hour or so with the wife's iron and a wet rag. I'd forgotten what an effective system this is for raising dents. There were a couple that were bad enough to cut a few wood fibers. You can still see them if you look hard, but you can't feel them.

Last edited by Rakkasan; 04/29/19. Reason: Added p.s.

An armed society is a polite society.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In my experience with 23s I've found it best to change out the trigger and sear with new parts to fix safety issues. Its a very basic system with the sear acting as the bolt stop and after nearly 90-years yours has likely taken a beating from simple use. Worn parts can also cause the trigger to fire with the safety on. Give that a try with yours and don't be afraid to give it a workout as you want the safety to properly function. II think Gun Parts Corp/Numerich still has triggers and sears so stock up.

I have a 23C and the No 10 sight will also work, as will a Lyman 48Y will if you want to get fancy.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I woulda been all over a nice 1899B in 30-30! Just bought one in 32-40 yesterday!

LOL
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Fireball: I didn't even pick it up. The top/rear looked nice. Price was $950. He was open to negotiation on the 23C...

S99VG: The sear surfaces on the firing pin and the trigger looked fine. Clean and sharp. I don't think this thing was shot much.

When I shot my new toy yesterday, it had a "hitch" in the bolt travel. Having never handled one, I wasn't sure if that was normal. I was pretty sure the safety thing was not normal. So I took it apart. The hitch was the "trigger spring box" (which is also the detent for the safety) dragging on the bottom of the bolt, passing into and out of voids. After studying the function, I was certain the the small diameter projecting through the receiver was too long. When I cycled the bolt, it pushed the firing pin box away from the safety, letting the safety float. I took about .050 off the end and viola! The bolt was much more smooth in function AND the safety stayed put. I also put a small flat on the safety in the "FIRE" position. With the safety in the "SAFE" position, that small diameter still protrudes into the bolt, which I think is how it's supposed to work.

Comments/criticism are welcome.

Thanks to all.

Doug

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My test on those safeties is to do things like engage and disengage them a bunch of times, jostle and cycle the bolt, and just plain give them the acid test. Sometime they release when you press the trigger after this sort of stuff and sometimes they let go with a slight movement of the bolt. As I said, the trigger and safeties on 23s are fairly simple affairs but I think they do rely on all parts being in factory spec to work properly. I had a nice 23D with a light trigger pull that wouldn't hold the safety because some previous owner had messed with the sear. And the "messing around" work was only visible when compared to a part in factory spec. I would still get some back up parts from Gun Parts. The triggers and sears are about 12 and 23-bucks respectively.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rakkasan
Fireball: I didn't even pick it up. The top/rear looked nice. Price was $950.

Doug

If it was a good one that's a steal.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, never start reading a thread from the bottom of the page.

I thought you paid $950 for a 23C, and what made it worse was Fireball thought it was a steal.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Good thing I didn't have a mouth full of coffee, I got a good laugh out of that one. ^^^

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wouldn't give $100 for a 23! blush

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, I would. Maybe $150 even.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Depending on which generation 23C it is, if it has mint bore and no other issues, it's a $3-500 rifle all day long. The 1st gen magazines along bring $100 or more. Unique and very accurate small bore rifles with a one piece action and bbl.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love the 19's and 23's.. awesome guns. You'll like it. I've got 22's, 25-20 and 22 Hornet. Still missing the 23C.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm a 32-20 junkie. I've looked at every one I could find, for sale or not. There just aren't many around here.

It has the original magazine. Were they nickel plated?

If it would quit raining, I'd put it on the bench at 100 yards to see what I can do with open sights. Still looking for a Number 5 peep. Anyone?

Last edited by Rakkasan; 04/30/19. Reason: My grammar sucks!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was shooting a couple of 19's with peep sights with last weekend. Great fun, and amazingly accurate.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I gave $167 for a 4 digit serial 1919 NRA, with a Knorr Nobuckle sling. I'm happy. The first 5 shot group, off the bench, at 25 yards, could be covered by the end of you finger, and I have pics. Somewhere.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mine wouldn't feed from the magazine, and was missing the cocking knob on the end of the bolt. I bought a complete bolt off the bay for $19, just for the knob. Stuck the new bolt in just for the fun of it, and low and behold, it feeds no problem.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by JoeMartin; 04/30/19.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I gave $167 for a 4 digit serial 1919 NRA, with a Knorr Nobuckle sling. I'm happy. The first 5 shot group, off the bench, at 25 yards, could be covered by the end of you finger, and I have pics. Somewhere.

I gave 225 for a nearly" factory new" 23C last year and was happy to do it! I wish more of my 99s were in that condition.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine wouldn't feed from the magazine, and was missing the cocking knob on the end of the bolt. I bought a complete bolt off the bay for $19, just for the knob. Stuck the new bolt in just for the fun of it, and low and behold, it feeds no problem.
[Linked Image]

I've got one like that too. I think those early 19s have a certain cool factor, albeit the No. 5 site leaves some to be desired.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll still give you $150 for it...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by S99VG
[Linked Image]

I've got one like that too. I think those early 19s have a certain cool factor, albeit the No. 5 site leaves some to be desired.

Yes, but I have a vintage 10X Fecker target scope for it.:)

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,906
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.