Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 27 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 26 27
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 340boy
I need to make a copy of this thread and bring it to the nearest gun shop. "See look at this, the 270 is obsolete. So, how's about you let me have that Cooper in 270WCF for half price? No really, I'm doing you guys a favor, take it off your hands?!"
grin

I like that...

Take that junk off their hands, doing them a BIG favor... laugh

DF

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I need to make a copy of this thread and bring it to the nearest gun shop. "See look at this, the 270 is obsolete. So, how's about you let me have that Cooper in 270WCF for half price? No really, I'm doing you guys a favor, take it off your hands?!"
grin

I like that...

Take that junk off their hands, doing them a BIG favor... laugh

DF

Exactly! I'm just trying to be helpful!
laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JPro
AR in 6.5CM and an inset photo showed a Creedmoor round, a .308 round, and a .223 round with the caption "The 7.62 and 5.56 work "okay" on hogs but the 6.5 Creedmoor is deadly!"

It's coming. 'The 6.5 Creedmoor, THE ideal plains game rifle", The 6.5 Creedmoor, THE Ideal dangerous game rifle; especially for buffalo at seven hundred yards" ....But I will need sedation when I see it in a double rifle! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Pour a Talisker, fire up a good cigar, and ignore the foolishness of others.

I try to keep my assessments of cartridges and applications within the (somewhat grin) logical realm.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Pour a Talisker, fire up a good cigar, and ignore the foolishness of others.

I try to keep my assessments of cartridges and applications within the (somewhat grin) logical realm.

Excellent advice, but I'm just having fun...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Given the same media hype these days the .264 Winchester Magnum would be the darling of the day.
Recoil in equivalent rifles was fairly close to the .270 and would outperform the C.M. at all levels.
Maybe it is the short action thing we see these days, I really don't know.
Yeah, the .270 wcf speak does resonate with us old guys, especially those who discovered the N.P. earlier on for Elk and I remember carving into my school desk with a pocket knife - 130 gr 3140 . It was on every box of factory ammo, no matter the brand and a chronograph was a mystical, futuristic device- nobody had one

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I made the "mistake" of buying an M700 CDL in 280 15 years or so ago. The 280 and 150 grain Nosler Partitions and there is very little i can't do with those choices within my skill set. Those two choices have kept me from buying a slew of other chamberings.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Even if a guy doesn't own, desire to own, or even hates the Creed for whatever reason......you'd think people would catch on to the FACT that the 6.5CM is for real.

I very much agree, although you can take a good thing too far. I saw a line in a magazine just today, where the author was reviewing an AR in 6.5CM and an inset photo showed a Creedmoor round, a .308 round, and a .223 round with the caption "The 7.62 and 5.56 work "okay" on hogs but the 6.5 Creedmoor is deadly!" I found that kind of funny. The Creedmoor is very good for what it is, but to say that it is a decisively better swine killer than a .308 is reaching a little far, and I've shot a fair number of hogs with the 6.5 and 7.62. The whiz-bang, golly-gee enthusiasm can get a bit thick sometimes, even for us rifle loonies....

Yeah, that's stepping over the line.

To say the Creed will kill a hog deader, quicker than a .308, or a .223 is crazy...

But, that's how urban legends are perpetrated.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Even if a guy doesn't own, desire to own, or even hates the Creed for whatever reason......you'd think people would catch on to the FACT that the 6.5CM is for real.

I very much agree, although you can take a good thing too far. I saw a line in a magazine just today, where the author was reviewing an AR in 6.5CM and an inset photo showed a Creedmoor round, a .308 round, and a .223 round with the caption "The 7.62 and 5.56 work "okay" on hogs but the 6.5 Creedmoor is deadly!" I found that kind of funny. The Creedmoor is very good for what it is, but to say that it is a decisively better swine killer than a .308 is reaching a little far, and I've shot a fair number of hogs with the 6.5 and 7.62. The whiz-bang, golly-gee enthusiasm can get a bit thick sometimes, even for us rifle loonies....

To say the Creed will kill a hog deader, quicker than a .308, or a .223 is crazy...

DF

Agreed. I does help to have some personal experience so you know when to raise the BS flag. You'd think folks around here would catch on to that theory, but in reading this thread, and practically any CM thread, that is not the case.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some are claiming the 6.5 Creedmoor is or will be one of the most popular cartridges worldwide. If that is based only on new gun sales it might be close to the truth.

It also keeps the gun writers busy cranking out articles of why the 25-06 or 270 or what ever cartridge you choose is better. I haven't taken the plunge yet but may do a 22 Creedmoor as the next build once I finish all the other projects. Next we will probably see articles on how the 220 Swift beats the 22 Creedmoor. This is all pretty amusing for a cartridge whose parentage is over a hundred years old. I would not be surprised if Newton or others didn't already make a 256 short while developing the 256 Newton and 250 Savage cartridges.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

DF

It will take them off their feet, even if only a claw is hit.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jorge,

It's coming. 'The 6.5 Creedmoor, THE ideal plains game rifle"...

You might want to sit down and pour yourself something, but one of my PH friends also owns a big sporting goods store in Kimberley, South Africa, and reported to me last year that 80% of the new rifles he sells are 6.5 Creedmoors. Essentially the same thing was told to another Campfire member, RinB, at another RSA store. Apparently South Africans really like the round for culling plains game, and of course they do a lot of that, for the same reasons as many American hunters--affordable, accurate rifles and ammunition, fine accuracy and light recoil, which can indeed be a factor when shooting dozens of animals a day.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
If memory serves, Boddington became a believer after killing a large bull elk in New Mexico with the 270?

I remember reading the article, vaguely remember the rife used but could of been a Savage 16 stainless factory loaner rifle but his ammo was Federal Premium with Nosler Part.

And before that, it was only marginal for elk hunting, but one hell of a deer cartridge... His magnumitus has surely calmed down a bit with age...

I'm sure age has mellowed Craig, but from reading his recent articles, he would say that modern controlled expansion bullets has allowed cartridges to extend their utility beyond what was commonly accepted 30 years ago.

A man changing his opinion as new conditions occur reinforces his credibility.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

2. -- Even if a guy doesn't own, desire to own, or even hates the Creed for whatever reason......you'd think people would catch on to the FACT that the 6.5CM is for real.

1. -- Agreed. It does help to have some personal experience so you know when to raise the BS flag. You'd think folks around here would catch on to that theory, but in reading this thread, and practically any CM thread, that is not the case.

1. I agree with y'all too. Now, What's the Title of This Thread ? " C B on the 270 Win "
I know that C B refers to the Creed but his focus was on the 270. What has taken over ?

2. Yes, the 6.5 CM is a fact.......so is the 30-30, et.al. > et.al. > et.al. J G, I'm REALLY not being smart with you. It just seems that now some just can't help but insist the Creed is the Be ALL, End ALL.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I don't own a CM but I've said it before and ill say it again...I don't feel there is a real step up in killing power until you get to the .338WM. Would I hunt anything in NA with a properly loaded CM...you bet i would. Would i use one for an eland...same same.

Will I? No...thats what my 270 is for LOL

GOD Bless America
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was 14 years old, and weighed maybe 120 pounds, I shot my daddy's deer rifle, a Remington 760 pump in 30-06, using 220 grain bullets. I still remember it too, as I couldn't hear anything for 3 days.....no ear protection, and my shoulder was bruised from that metal buttplate. Daddy had a recoil pad put on it, and I'm thinking that he bought some more shells, either 150 or 180 grains, but by then, the damage had been done. I have hated hard kicking rifles ever since.

For 25 years I used a 270 for deer hunting, and the recoil never bothered me, although I'd notice it from time to time at the shooting bench, but never in the field. As the years have gone by, and my shoulders started hurting, and arthritis kicked in, I have began to appreciate rifles and cartridges that don't kick much. I find I can shoot them better. I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor a couple of years ago, and have come to appreciate it. It's accurate, it doesn't have much recoil, and it will kill anything I have a chance to hunt here in Kentucky. The only exception would be if I draw an elk tag, and the 270 is reserved for that.

I will always hold the 270 in high esteem, and if I didn't like using different cartridges, I'd be perfectly happy to use it and nothing else as my deer rifle. But, the 6.5 CM will kill a deer just as dead, and I don't feel the recoil at all. To me, that's pretty much a no brainer.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Your 6.5 will work just as well as a 270 on that elk should you draw a tag. Use a good bullet...and shoot it in the lungs. nothing else matters much

GOD Bless America
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In rural Alaska many residents have only a handful of weapons. Those with 270's are usually old and scarred as it's their primary rifle for wolves,caribou,moose, and brown bear. Probably the 150gr Core-Lok has killed as many brown bears in the hands of residents as the fabled 338 Win Mag, or at least in the Bristol Bay region.

I tend to use more than enough gun
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JamesJr
When I was 14 years old, and weighed maybe 120 pounds, I shot my daddy's deer rifle, a Remington 760 pump in 30-06, using 220 grain bullets. I still remember it too, as I couldn't hear anything for 3 days.....no ear protection, and my shoulder was bruised from that metal buttplate. Daddy had a recoil pad put on it, and I'm thinking that he bought some more shells, either 150 or 180 grains, but by then, the damage had been done. I have hated hard kicking rifles ever since.

For 25 years I used a 270 for deer hunting, and the recoil never bothered me, although I'd notice it from time to time at the shooting bench, but never in the field. As the years have gone by, and my shoulders started hurting, and arthritis kicked in, I have began to appreciate rifles and cartridges that don't kick much. I find I can shoot them better. I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor a couple of years ago, and have come to appreciate it. It's accurate, it doesn't have much recoil, and it will kill anything I have a chance to hunt here in Kentucky. The only exception would be if I draw an elk tag, and the 270 is reserved for that.

I will always hold the 270 in high esteem, and if I didn't like using different cartridges, I'd be perfectly happy to use it and nothing else as my deer rifle. But, the 6.5 CM will kill a deer just as dead, and I don't feel the recoil at all. To me, that's pretty much a no brainer.

So well said.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

I know one gun writer who wrote an article on the Creedmoor a year or two ago. He didn't say it was the Be All, End ALL, but the title of his essay essentially did--which makes me suspect the magazine's editor wrote the title, which happens pretty frequently, especially when trying to stir up stuff like this thread.

I happen to know the author very well, and he's a real rifle loony, who owns a bunch in a LOT of different chamberings. Which, of course, I do as well. In fact since 2010, when I purchased and hunted with my first 6.5 Creedmoor, I've hunted big game with my other rifles in .22-250, .257 Roberts, .25-06, .257 Weatherby Magnum, 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, .260 Remington, 6.5x55, 6.5x57R, 6.5 PRC, 26 Nosler, .270 Winchester, 7x57, 7mm Weatherby Magnum,.308 Winchester, .30-06, 338 Winchester Magnum, 9.3x62 Mauser, and .416 Rigby. I've only sold two of those rifles, a .25-06 Ruger No. 1 and a 7mm Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight, mostly because I enjoyed hunting more with other rifles of the same bore-size.

I may or may not hunt with my present 6.5 Creedmoor this year, in fact probably won't, because there's always something new I want to try--or go back to. But unlike so many 6.5 Creedmoor critics, I've actually shot and hunted with one, so along with my continuing experience with other rounds have some basis for evaluating what the Creedmoor actually does.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 8 of 27 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 35WhelenNut, 11 invisible), 842 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,901
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.