Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have done a little research about a high accuracy, low recoil, effeective rimfire. I have bought a Savage 917 .17HMR with laminae stock SS accutrigger.

Now I want to set it up to get the best of its potential accuracy performance on down range critters between 100 and 250 yards away. Basically groundhogs, rabbits, crows and, at the outer edge, the nosy fox or racoon. Bipod supoorted field shooting and of course some range work to bring it all together.

What rounds and scope should I start with?

1B

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Free float if it isn't already and adjust the trigger to your liking, it will surprise you!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

L
L
I'm rather new to the .17HMR but I do have a new Savage BTV (JL)
Mine is factory free floated and the trigger is very close to 2 1/2 pounds, it is the accu-trigger and nice and crisp. There are a multitude of scopes out there, I put a Busnell Sportsman 3 X 9 32MM on mine because it was free to attach to a rifle of my choosing. I like the 3 X 9 but I do have three 4 X 12's. I have a Henry Golden Boy with a Bushnell Banner 4 X 12 on it. I like the 4 X 12 and may even buy another Bushnell for the Savage, since I am just breaking it in I will first see how well it well group. I think you said you have the BTVSS Thumbhole. If so your rifle is free floated and if you check your literature it will tell you the trigger has been set to 2 1/2 pounds.
Have fun with it.

Last edited by luvtoshoot; 04/17/07.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a pre-AT Savage 93R17BVSS, the style with the heavy stainless barrel in a laminated stock. It is the best shooting "out of the box" factory rifle that I have ever owned or shot. I have an older Leupold Vari-X IIc 4-12x mounted on the factory installed bases in Warne rings. I really like it and several people have shot their personal best groups with it. Except that the trigger has been tuned, my rifle is box stock, so I'd suggest shooting your new rifle some before you do anything to tune it to your specific requirements.

I'd suggest that you buy 1 box of all of the available brands and bullet weights of the current factory loaded ammo and see which brand and bullet weight your rifle "likes". My 2 custom 17 HMRs have Douglas barrels and they won't shoot any of the CCI ammo, but shoot Hornady and Remington just fine.

Jeff

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have tried the remington,fedral,hornady,winchester,and cci's through my 17 But it seems to reject anything with the V-max in it. It seems to like the CCI TNT's best wich is cool because it is the cheapest on the shelf.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is the rub of a rimfire! My Anschutz M141 and Ruger 10/22 Magnum were rebarreled with high grade Douglas barrels that each cost more than the wholesale price of the Savage rifle, but the Savage is a better shooter. Go figure.

Jeff

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I've read several times that all of the Vmax loads are loaded by the same company. They just slap on a different label. My savage is bone stock, doesn't have the accutrigger, but it shoots great! I gave up on trying to get the smallest group I could. Now I just shoot items that vaporize grapes, mellow cream pumpkins and PEEPS are my favorite so far.

POP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1B
I have done a little research about a high accuracy, low recoil, effeective rimfire. I have bought a Savage 917 .17HMR with laminae stock SS accutrigger.

Now I want to set it up to get the best of its potential accuracy performance on down range critters between 100 and 250 yards away. Basically groundhogs, rabbits, crows and, at the outer edge, the nosy fox or racoon. Bipod supoorted field shooting and of course some range work to bring it all together.

What rounds and scope should I start with?

1B

Nothing at all. Shoot it at 50 and at 100 with dirfferent ammo. If your getting 1/2 MOA like we are you're there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,605
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.