Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 27 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 26 27
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CWT
Due to a large bore diameter I have a very low ballistic coefficient but my wife thinks penetration is just fine.

grin laugh grin laugh

R O F

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have seen a couple of disappointed 6.5 Creedmoor shooters at the range, guys who thought that buying a rifle chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor would automatically make them better, more accurate, shooters. It might have if they had any shooting skills to begin with.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

The real truth in this debate is that the cartridges compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor were all developed as hunting cartridges. The Creedmoor was designed to accomplish a certain function of accuracy for long range shooting in a short action with low recoil. The 6.5 Creedmoor does this very well.

The comparison is always backwards due to ballistics of hunting cartridges against a target cartridge. I will agree to let the Creedmoor to perform well as it was designed, but I have grown tired of how the cartridge and it’s proponents have tried to eliminate the use of proven hunting cartridges due to the magical pixie dust from the Creedmoor...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome to:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Who told you you shouldn't use a 257 Roberts any more?

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The real truth in this debate is that the cartridges compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor were all developed as hunting cartridges. The Creedmoor was designed to accomplish a certain function of accuracy for long range shooting in a short action with low recoil. The 6.5 Creedmoor does this very well.

The comparison is always backwards due to ballistics of hunting cartridges against a target cartridge. I will agree to let the Creedmoor to perform well as it was designed, but I have grown tired of how the cartridge and it’s proponents have tried to eliminate the use of proven hunting cartridges due to the magical pixie dust from the Creedmoor...

That pixie dust doesn’t fill freezers. Accurate cartridges loaded with good bullets with adequate oompff do. Fugg the .270 and Creedmoor. I guess they’ll have to do for the frail and faint of heart. Never did one say when he bumped into old griz, “Gee, I wish I had brought along my Creedmoor”. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
mathman,

I've asked the same basic question a number of times, and have yet to get an answer. But in the interests of objectivity, will ask a few more:

Do pro-Creedmoorites knock on your door and demand you turn over your .257 Roberts, .270 or even your 6.5x55? So far none have in my neighborhood, the reason I still have my .270, plus a pair of .257's and another pair of 6.5x55's.

Do pro-Creedmoorites gather in public places, demonstrating for the confiscation of rifles chambered for such "antique" cartridges? Do the more generous pro-Creedmoorites lobby for "buy-back" programs for those hunters unfortunate enough to be burdened with such old and inadequate rounds?

Do anti-Creedmoorites go to the local range and get mobbed by 6.5 Creedmoor shooters, who refuse to let them use the range until they at least pull the trigger on one Creedmoor round?

Perhaps my simple mind isn't up to imagining what that anti-Creedmoorites constantly encounter in our increasingly contentious society. But I am certainly open to hearing about any obvious cases of abuse from pro-Creedmoorites, and would gladly publish an article in RIFLE LOONY NEWS exposing such anti-American horrors.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WAM

That pixie dust doesn’t fill freezers. Accurate cartridges loaded with good bullets with adequate oompff do. Fugg the .270 and Creedmoor. I guess they’ll have to do for the frail and faint of heart. Never did one say when he bumped into old griz, “Gee, I wish I had brought along my Creedmoor”. Happy Trails

There isn't any dangerous game in most of North America, so bumping into old griz isn't a consideration for most American and Canadian hunters.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I'd have to agree with Boddington, assuming he's referring to shots in the sub 400-500ish yard range.
Me too, I think a lot depends on where your hunting. If hunting deer in east Texas and for some odd reason could actually see a buck beyond that range, in the amount of time it would take to get to the kill, you may only find a gut pile, a couple of beer cans and drag marks where it used to be.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
mathman,

I've asked the same basic question a number of times, and have yet to get an answer. But in the interests of objectivity, will ask a few more:

Do pro-Creedmoorites knock on your door and demand you turn over your .257 Roberts, .270 or even you 6.5x55? So far none have in my neighborhood, the reason I still have my .270, plus a pair of .257's and another pair of 6.5x55's.

Do pro-Creedmoorites gather in public places, demonstrating for the confiscation of rifles chambered for such "antique" cartridges? Do the more generous pro-Creedmoorites lobby for "buy-back" programs for those hunters unfortunate enough to be burdened with such old and inadequate rounds?

Do anti-Creedmoorites go to the local range and get mobbed by 6.5 Creedmoor shooters, who refuse to let them use the range until they at least pull the trigger on one Creedmoor round?

Perhaps my simple mind isn't up to imagining what that anti-Creedmoorites constantly encounter in our increasingly contentious society. But I am certainly open to hearing about any obvious cases of pro-Creedmoor abuse, and would gladly publish an article in RIFLE LOONY NEWS exposing such anti-American horrors.

You ask, but don't really notice that the underlying push on the Creedmoor. Was I wrong in my assessment of the comparison of hunting cartridges to a target cartridge? Doesn't the trend for the 6.5 try to replace hunting cartridges with the 6.5? I have never said the 6.5 won't do what it was designed to do, I just don't have any use for it.

If you don't see that, you are not paying attention. The pro 6.5 people are continually comparing the superiority of the 6.5 to the rest of the hunting cartridges. It is all over the Campfire, I am not the only one tired of the raves of the cartridge. I haven't gone to anyone's door to take their 6.5 away from them and I am sure no one else has. This was still a thread about Craig Boddington and the 270, and as soon as the 6.5 was brought up, The whole issue is about the 6.5.

Do I have anough guns to be a rifle loony? Does not having a 6.5 prevent me from being a rifle loony?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I like to use older cartridges having some panache, the 250 and 300 Savages for example. Nevertheless I am capable of acknowledging the positive technical and logistical points of the newer cartridge. Where's the problem?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kirk,

I already asked this of another guy who said this thread was supposedly about Craig Boddington and the .270: Did you actually read Indy's original post?

Here it is:

"In an article in the current issue of "American Rifleman," Craig Boddington states that, "In my opinion these three similar 6.5mms (6.5x55, .260 Remington, and 6.5 Creedmoor), despite the magical properties currently attributed to them, do not equal the 96-year-old .270 Winchester as a hunting cartridge.

"He then goes on to describe why in four pages. It's a good read."

There's the reason this thread got going on the 6.5 Creedmoor along with the .270, right in the first post. The 6.5 Creedmoor did not sneak in there 10 pages later.

Who has accused you of not being a rifle loony because you don't own a rifle chambered for a 6.5mm cartridge? Give me some names and I will personally hunt them down and stuff photos of your rifles up their, uh, noses.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK that's it. Buttigieg shoots a Creedmoor....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You ask, but don't really notice that the underlying push on the Creedmoor. Was I wrong in my assessment of the comparison of hunting cartridges to a target cartridge? Doesn't the trend for the 6.5 try to replace hunting cartridges with the 6.5? I have never said the 6.5 won't do what it was designed to do, I just don't have any use for it.

If you don't see that, you are not paying attention. The pro 6.5 people are continually comparing the superiority of the 6.5 to the rest of the hunting cartridges. It is all over the Campfire, I am not the only one tired of the raves of the cartridge. I haven't gone to anyone's door to take their 6.5 away from them and I am sure no one else has. This was still a thread about Craig Boddington and the 270, and as soon as the 6.5 was brought up, The whole issue is about the 6.5.

Do I have anough guns to be a rifle loony? Does not having a 6.5 prevent me from being a rifle loony?

I hope not, or I'm disqualified! grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
[Linked Image]

Oh, great! Now we can battle over Sharks versus Jets.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yes it does, no self respecting Sako looney would ever be without an older 6.5x55. It along with a 9.3x62 are the ultimate Sako rifles wink

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gerry35

Yes it does, no self respecting Sako looney would ever be without an older 6.5x55. It along with a 9.3x62 are the ultimate Sako rifles wink

So since I have a Sako in 9.3X62 but no Creedmore I'm ok? Whewww, what a relief!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by gerry35

So since I have a Sako in 9.3X62 but no Creedmore I'm ok? Whewww, what a relief!
grin

Getting close with the 9.3x62 but getting the classic 6.5x55 is a must grin

Last edited by gerry35; 04/30/19.

Gerry.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hell. they all work! Just everyone has his favorite caliber for what ever the reason. I love the 270, if truth be known because Dad bought a 270, Model 721 in a Tonopah NV hardware store in 1948, and it became a legend in that small mining town. Dad mounted a 2.5 Weaver with a post and killed deer well past 200 yards. Soon the only ammo you could find in Wolfe's Hardware was 270 Winchester. 30 30's, 38 55's, 30 Remington's and 32 Special's went back in the closest. Still have that old rifle, along with my first 270, a Remington 700 BDL with the stamped checkering. In high school I wore the print off the Remington catalog pages longing for one. Probably a twin to the one JB writes about. Wonderfully smooth action and one of the most accurate rifles I own. Doesn't get used much any more, but have asked they throw it in with me before the first shovel of dirt. Since then three generations of my family have carried a 270 in the field. Hunting to us is tradition and history, and we all love the mighty .277. That's why I love it. It works. I've used a lot of others, but always come back to the one Jack O'Conner made famous. Not really any better or any worse than many others.

Same reason I hunt a Savage 99 300 Savage. It too works, but also makes me happy!

Last edited by Switch; 04/30/19.
Page 13 of 27 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 345dl, 219 Wasp, 47 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,973
Posts18,519,820
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.