Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
There are so many aftermarket options, I get lost in the fog.

Hopefully my smith can do something with it. I told him I didn't mind going with aftermarket parts if needed.

He's a good guy, we'll see what he can do.

DF

A pretty basic/simple starting point for an improved Glock trigger is a factory "-" connector and an extra power trigger spring. (The extra power spring actually reduces trigger pull weight.) That gives a pretty substantial improvement in about 95% of the Glocks I've tried it in. A NiB coated striker can help too.

I like to use an overtravel stop of some sort too. Some of the aluminum triggers have overtravel screws built in. Another option which I like is the Lone Wolf ejector housing with a set screw in it, although I really don't like Lone Wolf much as a company and hate to recommend them, but that one part does work well.

Despite how interchangeable Glock parts are, when it comes to tuning the triggers just right I've found it best to treat each gun as it's own thing, and I usually end up with slightly different combinations of parts in each to get the trigger I want. On some I go so far as to adjust striker engagement by bending the trigger bar, and tightening the slide rails for more precise control over trigger engagement. (That doesn't help accuracy in a Glock, it just eliminates some variability in engagement so it can be tuned a little more crisp.)

With that said, the best drop-in trigger kit I've felt is the full Zev kit, but it's very expensive IMO. It does give a very nice trigger that is light with a crisp break. I don't use it on most of mine because of the cost, but if a guy is willing to spend the coin for the best, that's the direction I'd recommend in today's market.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by jimmyp
DF, I have not been able to turn a glock trigger into anything remotely similar to a 1911.

The best triggers I have made have just been spring changes, polishing, and in two cases I used the LS titanium strikers. Just polish the crap out of all the contact points with a dremel wheel and polishing compound, maybe replace the striker with a titanium but polish that as well, then buy some "competition springs"

wolfe

I know it'll never be 1911 quality, but needs to be better than it is. I've handled Glocks with better triggers, in fact have an older series .45 ACP Glock with a better trigger than this one. And it's stock, no polishing or work done.

DF

Glock triggers always seem to be a 'crap-shoot'. I've owned ~25 of them, and no two triggers are exactly alike! crazy
That being said, I still like them, and there are tons of aftermarket options available.

I always thought the 3.5# connector was as good as it gets in a Glock.

I've heard good things, but I've no experience with Glock aftermarket triggers. I have always owned the same old 5.5# triggers on mine. I only own 3 Glocks now, and my favorite, a Gen 3 19 has enough rounds through it(~25K) that it is actually pretty nice.

Last edited by 340boy; 04/27/19.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I finally got out and ran a couple of boxes of ammo through my new XDM 10mm. I tried to limp wrist it with a loose 1 handed hold and everything and didn't have a single failure to feed or fire. It ran perfectly and as fast as I could pull the trigger.

Obviously a lot more testing to be done but for s brand new gun it looks very promising. I really like the way it feels and shoots.i love my glock 20 but it can hang up on occasion I think due to limp wristing. If I could get kkm to make a 40 barrel for my xdm I think I'd just sell the glock and go Springfield all the way.

Bb

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image]

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A quality 1911 in10mm is very hard to beat when it comes to a sweet trigger pull.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by John_Havard
A quality 1911 in10mm is very hard to beat when it comes to a sweet trigger pull.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is just awesome!

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
way outta my price range. Neat tho

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by John_Havard
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is just awesome!

No doubt!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

C
C
Originally Posted by Yondering

IIRC, Glock doesn’t recommend cast bullets.

DF

They don't recommend handloads either.

Glock barrels handle cast bullets as well as any other barrel, and better than a lot of the aftermarket replacements in my experience. But that doesn't stop people repeating the same line they read on the internet somewhere, so the rumor continues.

Some years ago, we had a cops and cowboys fund raising shoot at our CAS range. Local city police and sheriffs deputies joined us for the shoot. I remember the discussions about their Glocks and our targets. Our group didn't want to use anything but soft lead, the consensus was Glock didn't recommend such.

Anyway, don't remember the final solution, just that most of those LEO officers were an embarrassment to gun handling. They were dropping mags, couldn't shoot worth a ___... All except one Natchitoches Parish Sheriff's deupty who was an artist with a 1911. That ole boy could flat shoot and it was a pleasure to watch him doing his thing. Wouldn't give a nickle for the rest of them.

Our cowboys made all but him look pretty bad. If I was gonna be a career LEO, I'd have my shooting skills perfected. Most of them just qualify because they have to, seem to have no pride in marksmanship. And, IMO, that's a shame. Doesn't have to be that way. I guess they're fortunate I'm not their chief or their sheriff.

DF

Must be a Louisiana thing. I've been a Texas law enforcement officer since 1987 and have never seen police shoot as badly as you say you did.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have carried and shot a 4" S&W Mod 29 4 screw since I believe 1974 and a 3" Mod 629 for 15 -20 years. Love the guns but not loving the full power Keith loads any longer, they are killing my arthritic hands. So I think I'm about to try to sell or trade the 4" for a Glock 20 ( I've tried running the slides on several different brands and the Glock is diffently the easiest for my hands to work. The questions I have are where the best heavy load ( 220 gr)load data can be found. I did pick up 100 new Starline brass and a set of dies, stilllooking for bullets. I'm hearing Blue Dot as a good Powder, how about H110 or 296 . I normally load 2400 for heavy 44 loads and 700X for light loads. Also any thoughts on holsters? I thinking maybe a hipper with a thumb break. Thanks for any help .--- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Thought I'd chime in here - for you guys wanting more out of a Glock 20, I just put a Bar-Sto barrel in the classifieds, because I'm already set up for mine and don't need it. I think the price is fair but make me an offer if you don't think so.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ar-sto-10mm-glock-20-barrel#Post13822372

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by olblue
I have carried and shot a 4" S&W Mod 29 4 screw since I believe 1974 and a 3" Mod 629 for 15 -20 years. Love the guns but not loving the full power Keith loads any longer, they are killing my arthritic hands. So I think I'm about to try to sell or trade the 4" for a Glock 20 ( I've tried running the slides on several different brands and the Glock is diffently the easiest for my hands to work. The questions I have are where the best heavy load ( 220 gr)load data can be found. I did pick up 100 new Starline brass and a set of dies, stilllooking for bullets. I'm hearing Blue Dot as a good Powder, how about H110 or 296 . I normally load 2400 for heavy 44 loads and 700X for light loads. Also any thoughts on holsters? I thinking maybe a hipper with a thumb break. Thanks for any help .--- Mel

...instead of running full Keith loads why not just go to a slightly faster burning powder and drop the velocity down to 11-1200 instead of 1400... Most of my .41 loads for the DA revolvers are in the 950-1200 range,,,

Also wondering if you have ever shot a G20 with heavy loads before...it is no joy...mine went down the road...as did a G29. The G40 is still here and much more pleasant to shoot...

I'm running 200 grain HC from Montana Bullet Works with Longshot powder and getting 1250.... Tried AAC-9Power Pistol and Unique and got the best velocities wit Longshot.

As to Glock triggers...my G40 started bulging cases REAL bad and after I took the gun apart I found that the guy who had it before me had installed a 3.5# Ghost Trigger unit and springs and had "forgot to tell me" nor had he included the original parts. He sent them to me and all of a sudden all the case bulging disappeared... Also then put in a Lone Wolf stainless guide rod and heavier spring....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bob, what was the ghost trigger and springs doing? I guess the gun was gun firing out of battery?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the input Bob, and yes I've loaded all kinds of loads for the 44. And will not be abandoning it anytime soon, also have a 6" M29. I plan on shooting KK Alaska's Glock 20 before jumping totally in. I don't have a problem shooting my 1911 Kimber or LW Colts officers ACP so I'm guessing the Glock will work OK I must admit the idea of 15 rounds in hand does appeal when in the vicinity of some of our local furry friends. Although Phil proved a 9mm is enough with the right bullet. But alas I'm not Phil. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by widrahthaar
I like a g40 with a red dot.

The extra barrell length and weight makes it shoot better and the red dot is a game changer in low light and/moving targets.

Outside the waste or chest rig I don’t see the disadvantage of a long slide.

I agree. I really like my g40.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob, what was the ghost trigger and springs doing? I guess the gun was gun firing out of battery?

Curious about this also...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RJM

As to Glock triggers...my G40 started bulging cases REAL bad and after I took the gun apart I found that the guy who had it before me had installed a 3.5# Ghost Trigger unit and springs and had "forgot to tell me" nor had he included the original parts. He sent them to me and all of a sudden all the case bulging disappeared... Also then put in a Lone Wolf stainless guide rod and heavier spring....

I have to think something else was going on there that you didn't catch. The trigger parts just don't have anything to do with bulging cases or firing out of battery. An extra-power striker spring works against the recoil spring a little bit, but those usually are only 1 lb extra, and aren't usually installed by people looking for a lighter trigger with a 3.5 lb connector.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Best 10mm semi option is to replace it with a 45 Super.

Sorry, I had the right to remain silent. But, I did not have the ability.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Best 10mm semi option is to replace it with a 45 Super.

Sorry, I had the right to remain silent. But, I did not have the ability.

Given that I already owned a Ruger Buckeye convertible and a first issue Smith 610 it made zero sense to not go Glock G40 MOS.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

From the reading I have done it is not only the recoil spring that retards the opening of the gun but also the trigger springs... The gun was not firing out of battery but the lighter springing of the gun allowed it to start opening before the pressure levels had dropped to a safe level.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.