Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I’m up for anything ethnic. I’ve travelled a bit and always make a point of trying to eat where and what the locals eat. I’ve never been disappointed.

Current wife is Ukrainian and I love the food. But dated a Vietnamese woman for a year and many times had their home cooking. It’s still my favourite food and if I’m on the road and have time I’ll try to look up a Vietnamese restaurant.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LouisB
I remember fixing a dish for a "Mexican/South American" potluck dinner.
They told me I almost killed them with the heat from a dish fixed at "normal" New Mexican red
level of "Mecxican" food.

I always wonder how watered down/changed American versions of ethnic foods really are.
Thai is one that I really see a difference, when they open it may well be spicy and hot and going back later are closed or Americanized to meet the tasted buds of the local populace.

I think "authentic" ethnic depends on a fairly sizable local ethnic population to keep the doors open.
I think back to a class I took in the LA area and one of the folks offered to take us to an authentic ethnic place. A couple of the folks could not use chopsticks and the restaurant had a difficult time finding utensils for them to eat with.

Having grown up eating "Mexican" food, as prepared by Mexicans, father and mother, I can tell you that not all "Mexican" food is hot. Much of it is spicy but not necessarily flaming hot. I have found that much of what I call "Gringo" food is made a lot hotter than Mexicans would fix it. Do Mexican have some hot foods absolutely but chili is more often used as a spice not to test the toughness of your mouth, tongue and palate. Lived in NM for 10+ years and do remember some dishes being fairly hot but never encountered any dishes that would particularly set me back. grin

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by LouisB
I remember fixing a dish for a "Mexican/South American" potluck dinner.
They told me I almost killed them with the heat from a dish fixed at "normal" New Mexican red
level of "Mecxican" food.

I always wonder how watered down/changed American versions of ethnic foods really are.
Thai is one that I really see a difference, when they open it may well be spicy and hot and going back later are closed or Americanized to meet the tasted buds of the local populace.

I think "authentic" ethnic depends on a fairly sizable local ethnic population to keep the doors open.
I think back to a class I took in the LA area and one of the folks offered to take us to an authentic ethnic place. A couple of the folks could not use chopsticks and the restaurant had a difficult time finding utensils for them to eat with.

Having grown up eating "Mexican" food, as prepared by Mexicans, father and mother, I can tell you that not all "Mexican" food is hot. Much of it is spicy but not necessarily flaming hot. I have found that much of what I call "Gringo" food is made a lot hotter than Mexicans would fix it. Do Mexican have some hot foods absolutely but chili is more often used as a spice not to test the toughness of your mouth, tongue and palate. Lived in NM for 10+ years and do remember some dishes being fairly hot but never encountered any dishes that would particularly set me back. grin

Like every food in America, every chest thumping idiot decides that if xxxx food is
known for using XXX spice, mine will have more!

That's why you get sausage dominated by sage.
Pumpkin pie that tastes like spices. (Hell p-pie spice has become a taste)
Apple pie where you can't taste apples........

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Like every food in America, every chest thumping idiot decides that if xxxx food is
known for using XXX spice, mine will have more!

That's why you get sausage dominated by sage.
Pumpkin pie that tastes like spices. (Hell p-pie spice has become a taste)
Apple pie where you can't taste apples........

laugh

Amen to that. My criteria which I told my wife of 34 years when discussing how to use spices is that if you do spices right then the food tastes good without tasting any of the spices.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
used to go to a place in Cleveland where i could get kidney stew

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
I’m up for anything ethnic. I’ve travelled a bit and always make a point of trying to eat where and what the locals eat. I’ve never been disappointed.

Current wife is Ukrainian and I love the food. But dated a Vietnamese woman for a year and many times had their home cooking. It’s still my favourite food and if I’m on the road and have time I’ll try to look up a Vietnamese restaurant.

Alrite.... now u have to give up 2 of each of thier best dishs...so i can see what we got here ! .....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Best ethnic food I remember is pork ribs, sauerkraut and polenta. Not that soupy stuff Italians make, but nice and firm that slices and holds it's shape. Like Gramma used to make. Was always amazing to watch the little baba just whip the bejeezus out of a pot of the stuff and plop it on a plate exactly when it's firming up.

Never met that soupy stuff. The traditional way or serving polenta is it has to be thick enough when dumped in the middle of the table on a cotton towel that it holds it shape. You slice or spoon off how much you want, spread it out, spread some butter on it an then top with a marinaro sauce which usually had pheasant, rabbit or squirrel in .Some times all three.

Worse case of food poisoning I ever had was from a Italian sausage sandwich in a restaurant in Las Vegas. I think it was called the Bootlegger .

Now days I am more of a fan of Mexican food

The Bootlegger! A now departed friend of mine was the nephew of the owner and I ate many a late night meal there. Mediocre food and a kitchen that would gag a maggot. It used to be a real hangout for the local wops.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
W
wat Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have to say Mexican / Tex-mex is my favorite, but I will try anything once. I also try and find interesting ethnic recipes to try at home even if I've never had the dish to begin with. The best thing I've made so far is Puerco Pibil which is a great slow roasted pork, here's the recipe

Puerco Pibil

Don't be afraid of the Habanero, the rest of the marinade really dulls it down. I take out most of the seeds but still leave a few and end up with a real nice spice, not too hot but enough of a kick for my taste.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank You !

I'm going to try that recipe !

grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Remsen,

My old hunting pard shows me his Russian G Grandmother’s chicken soup recipe. Old weathered and faded piece of paper. Scribbled in faint pencil,

Step #1

First you steal a chicken..........

😉

Bob, I saw the same one at a friends house, except it read: Primero, roba dos pollos a la viuda pobre que vive en el camino.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,576
Posts18,492,035
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.