Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
If you're packing a handgun for bear protection, is a revolver less reliable than a semi-auto?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get a bear bodyguard and quit worrying. Let them keep a lookout, while you relax.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dla
If you're packing a handgun for bear protection, is a revolver less reliable than a semi-auto?

So long as it's in good condition, and has been checked out with whatever ammo you're using, a revolver is right up there with a good auto pistol.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The most reliable gun is the gun you are most proficient with. There are two kinds of reliable--whether the gun will break and will the bullet stop the bear. You can buy a firebreathing 500 Mag but if you don't practice and become proficient at shooting DA rapidly, it won't do you any good. We get customers like that all the time, but it normally concerns the Ruger SRH Alaskan. I'm not quite sure how to figure it out. It's not for CCW so in a chest rig/etc., wouldn't you rather have a couple more inches of barrel?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Reliable .. in what way?

First, there's reliability of operation. It's been my experience that revolvers are less touchy about a bit of dust or grime than semi-autos. They are also less affected by technique / stance ... revolvers don't fail to operate if you limp-wrist them because you're having to shoot from an awkward position. Semi-autos do to varying degrees.

Second, there's reliability of "punch". Up to 10mm level, you can get about the same "punch" out of revolver or semi-auto with roughly the same gun weight. Beyond that, revolvers keep going up with about the same platform weight, low 40s to low 50s ounces (minus the scandium S&W who do that job at around 25 ounces for full throttle .44 magnum) but to get more power than 10mm in a semi-auto generally takes a big step up in gun weight .. Desert Eagle, LAR Grizzly if you can find one, etc. These are roughly the same weight as the big X frame S&W and, though more powerful than the .44, are nowhere near in the game with a .460 or .500 S&W.

I give the edge to revolvers in both ways. The only way to level the playing field is to shoot a less powerful cartridge more times from a semi-auto.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by dla

No.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Reliable .. in what way?

First, there's reliability of operation. It's been my experience that revolvers are less touchy about a bit of dust or grime than semi-autos. They are also less affected by technique / stance ... revolvers don't fail to operate if you limp-wrist them because you're having to shoot from an awkward position. Semi-autos do to varying degrees.

Second, there's reliability of "punch". Up to 10mm level, you can get about the same "punch" out of revolver or semi-auto with roughly the same gun weight. Beyond that, revolvers keep going up with about the same platform weight, low 40s to low 50s ounces (minus the scandium S&W who do that job at around 25 ounces for full throttle .44 magnum) but to get more power than 10mm in a semi-auto generally takes a big step up in gun weight .. Desert Eagle, LAR Grizzly if you can find one, etc. These are roughly the same weight as the big X frame S&W and, though more powerful than the .44, are nowhere near in the game with a .460 or .500 S&W.

I give the edge to revolvers in both ways. The only way to level the playing field is to shoot a less powerful cartridge more times from a semi-auto.

Tom

Hmmmm, I would say that revolvers are more touchy about dirt and grime. Sure doesn't take much to stop the cylinder rotating.

But you're right about the other areas you mentioned.

The one person I've talked to who actually was attacked by a sow grizzly, ended the encounter with 5 quick shots from his 329pd - I'm pretty sure 1 or more were contact shots because he had hair stuck in the front sight. I know a Glock will go out of battery if you push the muzzle against something.

I'm the contrarian here I think - I believe that revolvers are less reliable in general.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not in the least. A revolver has never failed for me even not cleaned for 5 years. Semis can fail to feed or stovepipe. Then most have little power to stop a bear. Some will tell you a .380 will but the net is a dream world. Mix pepper with powder for seasoning with a toy. The very least is a .44 mag with a heavy LNGC and the .475 or .500 is better. Hit a bear in the mouth and the bullet will remove the tail.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i may own bigger revolvers than my 44 mag. revolver with a 4 inch barrel but its so much easier to carry than my big revolvers and my 4 inch barrel 44 will still get the job done . no way is semi-automatic as reliable as a good revolver ,but all pistol need some care .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The move to a semi was more shots instead of one good shot. Your pistol has 17 or 19 rounds that sting a bear. Just makes him madder. No way on earth you expend 17 rounds before dead. All if you hit can fail too. Pepper spray is to use on you so the bear eats better.
Eskimos favor a .22 to kill polar bears---OOOPs the .222 is a favorite for head shots. Much different then a face to face encounter.

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla

No.

Anyone feel the need to run 200-500 rounds through a revolver with their carry ammo to verify function?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by dla

No.

Anyone feel the need to run 200-500 rounds through a revolver with their carry ammo to verify function?

Damn good point.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by dla

No.

Nope. Six rounds is enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had revolvers choke before. A tight barrel cylinder gap gummed with powder fouling tied up cylinder rotation, another gun had the extractor rod back out and did the same. Those are not easily remedied in the field. That's not tap, rack, bang quickly fixable. Of course those stoppages were the result of high volume shooting. I wouldn't go trekking around bad guy country after firing 500 rounds of old school Unique dirty handloads without cleaning the revolver. But there are other ways for revolvers to choke, they aren't foolproof entirely.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Revolvers are more reliable than semi autos in general.
Semi Autos are easier to replace parts in when something is broken, in general.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
A Revolver would be my choice by far...IMO its not even close...Hb

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
[Linked Image]

Despite all being "45 Auto", only the wheelgun can eat all five....in any order.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Revolvers are by far the best option against bears. And I would go single action before a double action revolver.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by dla

Example of one: no, actually the opposite....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most guns of any kind are about as reliable as the operator.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 204guy, 24 invisible), 1,748 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,206
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.