Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i had a friend of mine some years ago take a renewal class for ccw, and the instructor was making the claim semi auto's were more reliable.

no one, i clean my guns regularly so there was no cyclinder gap issue ever.
i did have once, in the last 50 years, have an extractor rod back out, that's one time.
i did have once, an issue where i didn't set the primers deep enough preventing the cyclinder from turning, one time.
you can have stuff get under the star wheel, if you don't clean the revolvers.
I don't throw any of my guns in the mud so dirt and stuff is not an issue on any of them.
you don't have to do any of those fancy tap and rack drills with a revolver.
i am still shooting a couple or more handguns that are well over 100 years old. still work too.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Hit a bear in the mouth and the bullet will remove the tail.

I'm having difficulty imagining that shot angle. How close were you?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not in the least. A revolver has never failed for me even not cleaned for 5 years. Semis can fail to feed or stovepipe. Then most have little power to stop a bear. Some will tell you a .380 will but the net is a dream world. Mix pepper with powder for seasoning with a toy. The very least is a .44 mag with a heavy LNGC and the .475 or .500 is better. Hit a bear in the mouth and the bullet will remove the tail.

Why would you go 5 years without cleaning your gun?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by dla
If you're packing a handgun for bear protection, is a revolver less reliable than a semi-auto?

No.

Anyone feel the need to run 200-500 rounds through a revolver with their carry ammo to verify function?

Damn good point.

And if I'm carrying Apex Predator Insurance, I want the policy to include function with the barrel jammed hard up against the animal.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by dla
If you're packing a handgun for bear protection, is a revolver less reliable than a semi-auto?

No.

Anyone feel the need to run 200-500 rounds through a revolver with their carry ammo to verify function?

Damn good point.

And if I'm carrying Apex Predator Insurance, I want the policy to include function with the barrel jammed hard up against the animal.

Amen to that sentiment.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I wouldn't say less reliable, but when a revolver locks up on you, it ain't gonna be cured with a slide rack.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by doubletap
Not in the least. A revolver has never failed for me even not cleaned for 5 years. Semis can fail to feed or stovepipe. Then most have little power to stop a bear. Some will tell you a .380 will but the net is a dream world. Mix pepper with powder for seasoning with a toy. The very least is a .44 mag with a heavy LNGC and the .475 or .500 is better. Hit a bear in the mouth and the bullet will remove the tail.

Because he hasn't shot it in 5 years... smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
we have no shortage of experts that have never been attacked by a bear giving expert testimony on the subject. Shrapnel's comments of yore as I paraphrase "6 shots triggered into the ground" etc etc. because you don't like to shoot your titanium 44 magnum you don't practice with your titanium 44 magnum and you can't hit s-hit with your titanium 44 magnum. Reliable means that you can count on something to work for you.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
I have had revolvers choke before. A tight barrel cylinder gap gummed with powder fouling tied up cylinder rotation, another gun had the extractor rod back out and did the same. Those are not easily remedied in the field. That's not tap, rack, bang quickly fixable. Of course those stoppages were the result of high volume shooting. I wouldn't go trekking around bad guy country after firing 500 rounds of old school Unique dirty handloads without cleaning the revolver. But there are other ways for revolvers to choke, they aren't foolproof entirely.

Yep, I’ve had revolver stoppages 1) from extractor backing out (much less likely in anything like a modern, high quality, revolver, though), 2) from buildup of grime, 3) from mechanical issues, 4) from bullets pulling under recoil (even light .38 Special loads in an all steel K Frame) and stopping cylinder rotation. That’s why I specified a revolver that’s in good condition with quality ammo you already checked function with.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It largely depends on how you define reliable. A good, high quality, clean, revolver can certainly reliably cycle a wider variety of bullets within its caliber designation than an auto pistol.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Any handgun I carry is clean and checked over. I had my first 629's cylinder start binding and the problem was carbon and powder residue between the cylinder and the crane. Now I remove the crane and cylinder to clean and lube that area. There's more than one good reason to carry a clean gun. wink

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Any handgun I carry is clean and checked over. I had my first 629's cylinder start binding and the problem was carbon and powder residue between the cylinder and the crane. Now I remove the crane and cylinder to clean and lube that area. There's more than one good reason to carry a clean gun. wink

On revolvers that are used often I do that once every couple years, maybe. They get nuked by the air compressor in the garage after most uses. It's a real time saver. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by dla

No,not unless you're carrying handloads that weren't crimped adequately. Otherwise, a revolver is considered more reliable than a semi-auto with all it's moving parts.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by dla

No,not unless you're carrying handloads that weren't crimped adequately. Otherwise, a revolver is considered more reliable than a semi-auto with all it's moving parts.

Most semi-autos have fewer parts.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wait, are we talking 1911?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by doubletap

Because he hasn't shot it in 5 years... smile
laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had numerous semiauto pistols jam and have never had a revolver with factory ammo jam or fail to function that I remember.

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Since I'm not in the Cop business, and I'm not a mall ninja who carries (6) 33rnd magazines for his Glock 26 and practices one-handed reloads using his butt cheeks, I have a different notion to what "reliable" means.

Part of "reliable" is whether or not I can get my firearm working again with the tools I have on hand. Another part of "reliable" is whether or not I can control the failure mechanisms - or whether they just happen at random.

I can:
  • Take my glock or 1911 apart without tools to clean it up.
  • Test my ammo out ahead of time to avoid crimp-jump.
  • Know what the bad-word I'm doing when reloading so that I don't get a squib (standard primers won't shove the bullet in so far).
  • Take care of my firearm knowing that I might need it to save my life.

I can't:
  • I can't get to the internals on a revolver without a screwdriver.
  • A squib will tie up a revolver and shut down a semi-auto - no solution other than pound out the stuck bullet (very hard to do with a stick)
  • Deal with an extractor that decides to break, or any other critical part breakage. This is where user history matters (P365 owners understand this).

I still believe that a revolver is mechanically less reliable than a semi-auto. However, after reading about the hunting guide who was killed because the magazine dropped from his G20, and his client couldn't find it and didn't know how to run the G20 anyway - I like the simplicity of a revolver.

https://trib.com/outdoors/wyoming-o...5913d2a-4889-5fa9-89d8-e44562b06717.html

Last edited by dla; 05/03/19.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by dla

Heavy loads with heavy recoil can and do at times jump crimp and tie up revolvers with the very best of crimps. The 454 is famous for it.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475

Heavy loads with heavy recoil can and do at times jump crimp and tie up revolvers with the very best of crimps. The 454 is famous for it.

Those S&W Titanium 44 mags are real bad about doing that. Mine would do it nearly every time with heavy loads.
I sold it and went back to carrying my Glock 20 10mm with the Buffalo Bore 220 hardcast load when bow hunting in the lower 48 in bear country. It’s never failed to feed once with that load.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,609 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,271
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.