Print Thread
Hop To
B
bmoney Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have been wanting a 17HMR or 22 mag for a while now. I had a hard time making a decision but ultimately ended up with a Savage 93r17 GV (woodstock with varmint barrel). I liked the 93r in 22 mag but heard the stock was kinda flimsy and it looked like it had a low comb. I still may pick one up just as an iron site plinker, I still like the looks of them. Anyway if anyone has an experience with this model, I am all ears. Everything I have read and watched has been positive. I am probably going to put the Bushnell A17 scope on it.
https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=96701

GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
What a coincidence... we were posting about a Savage 93R17 at the same time. I have gone completely trough mine and absolutely love it.

We don't take friends camping... we MAKE friends camping!
B
bmoney Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
What a coincidence... we were posting about a Savage 93R17 at the same time. I have gone completely trough mine and absolutely love it.

Lol, nice.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
That’s what I got too, I love it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
B17G for me. My bad...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have one also and am loving on it more and more. I bought a 10 round mag for mine and that can come in handy at times. Nice also to have two mags when there are butt loads of targets out there.

I checked the scope settings on mine a couple of days ago and was firing a 3 shot group at 85 yards. When I went up to the target I found that the scope was still on where I wanted it to be but struggled at first to find 3 holes. The group was ok, not stellar but still good and there were only two holes in it. Close examination showed a rather enlarged opening on one hole and a two shot group that would have gone about .1-.2 ".

I'm also finding a lot of 17HMR ammo on sale this spring with a lot of the pricing down to $10/50. I consider my 17 to be more of a hunting rifle than a plinking round as that is what I use the 22lr mainly for with some exceptions.

B
bmoney Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Any mag problems? I heard that is the weak part of the rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bmoney
I have been wanting a 17HMR or 22 mag for a while now. I had a hard time making a decision but ultimately ended up with a Savage 93r17 GV (woodstock with varmint barrel). I liked the 93r in 22 mag but heard the stock was kinda flimsy and it looked like it had a low comb. I still may pick one up just as an iron site plinker, I still like the looks of them. Anyway if anyone has an experience with this model, I am all ears. Everything I have read and watched has been positive. I am probably going to put the Bushnell A17 scope on it.
https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=96701

I've gone though a small pile of 17HMRs and the only inaccurate one in the pile was a pre-A/T 93R17 with the light/sporter contour barrel with open sights and a plastic stock. I put a modified GM 77/17 heavy/varmint contour fluted barrel on it and put that barreled action into a Boyds Rimfire Hunter lamianted stock. Now it shoots as well as any of them except for the Anschutz which is consistently more accurate.

The first 17HMR that I bought in 08/04 was a Savage 93R17BVSS. It shot MOA out of the box and has been used by several casual shooter to shoot their first MOA groups. I'm sure that several people who shot it at the range bought rifles in 17HMR because of their positive experience shooting mine. I have come to prefer the Marlin 917 series rifle in 17HMR and 17HM2 because the stocks are physically larger, more "man size", than those on the comparable Savage 93s and Mark IIs. Also, I live in Nebraska and our hot and humid summers aren't friendly to blue CM, so stainless generally works better for me.

I have several of the Bushnell A17 scopes installed on rimfire rifles and think that they offer a lot of performance for $50 at CDNN. The A17 on one of my CPC tuned 10/22s has had over 2,500 rounds fired without any issues. This 10/22 has a synthetic buffer pin/bolt stop installed, so the "bolt slam" isn't as bad as it might be with the factory installed steel buffer pin/bolt stop.

N
ndm Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I read the same thing about the mags, I've had mine for a couple years, no issues, but I don't jam the mag up into the gun with the bolt closed. Mine shoots the Hornady vmax load and the Hornady 20 grain load both inside an inch at 100 yards and the point of impact between the two loads is close enough to not worry about it. Gophers to coyotes, very useful rifle for pest control with less noise than centerfire or shotgun.

B
bmoney Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Good info, thanks.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ndm
I read the same thing about the mags, I've had mine for a couple years, no issues, but I don't jam the mag up into the gun with the bolt closed. Mine shoots the Hornady vmax load and the Hornady 20 grain load both inside an inch at 100 yards and the point of impact between the two loads is close enough to not worry about it. Gophers to coyotes, very useful rifle for pest control with less noise than centerfire or shotgun.
mag issues here

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 257Bob, 58 invisible), 3,222 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,829
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.