Campfire Kahuna
J
I liked the Johnson reels.

I am MAGA.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Jesse don't do it. The bent barrel 870 is the Grail. I've seen it in action.

That said, Pat you'll have to school me on the baitcast. My wife's late father who I'm totally sure was punking me whilst fishing for bass on the St. Johns river in Fl. handed over the worst dognutted abomination of a baitcast rig. Total fail.

I really do need to come and fish with you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by 16bore
Johnson Century!

Ive had more than my share of fun with those too, as a kid and until several years ago used one for fishing minnows for crappie.

Add a glass rod and pile of Mepps

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Bigdave, With spinning reels don’t use the handle to flip the bail, flip it manually with your fingers otherwise you’ll have a tangled mess. Use light line when using light weight....like a good 2# mono. Make sure you spool the reel with the line going onto your spool in the same direction as it comes off the bulk spool....otherwise you’ll have a tangled mess. 😁

Spinning gear is simple and foolproof...you don’t have to worry about backlash and it’s easy to use your hands when flipping lightweight and with a little practice and depending upon rod length you can get some distance with ultralight gear without ever flipping the bail.

Again....my friend.....Good Luck. 👍

Thanks.

Any brand you favor? I like Lews bait casters. Maybe they make good spinning reels ,

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JLimbo

That said, Pat you'll have to school me on the baitcast. My wife's late father who I'm totally sure was punking me whilst fishing for bass on the St. Johns river in Fl. handed over the worst dognutted abomination of a baitcast rig. Total fail.

😀 I’m thinking at least 5k..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Even kids do better with spinning stuff...they can see how it works.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SandBilly

You can buy me out for a lot less than that, but you can't outshoot me with a s/s.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by SandBilly

You can buy me out for a lot less than that, but you can't outshoot me with a s/s.

Clays ain’t the same as birds, buddy. We betting or not?

You damn sure can’t do it with an 870. Name the amount...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Even kids do better with spinning stuff...they can see how it works.

Dang Pat. I might have to file a hurt feelers report. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like a get-together to me. Amount? Lol ..I don't have any money. I was thinking more like Tee-shirt of choice. I'll post the event tomorrow.

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Dave , there's an old Zebco 1 in the Classifieds now for $45 ....( search longshot3 ) . I like the old Johnsons too . I use both old classic open face & closed face , but my favorite is a closed face under the rod type Shakespeare 1756 or 1810 mounted towards the rear of a Spinning Rod with the Reel mounted underneath . This whole deal is configured like a Fly Rod but these Rods are very hard to find these days . I prefer to cast right handed , but to crank left handed . YMMV .

Last edited by usull; 05/04/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T-shirt? I’m moving and was hoping you’d pay pay for that. I ain’t got time for that [bleep].

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only one I’ve owned was a Zebco 202. Haven’t used one since I was maybe 7 or 8 years old.

My uncle was a spin cast guy. I remember handing him a spinning rig one day and he flipped it upside and started reeling backwards. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’m left handed. So RH reals seemed common.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Johnson Century!

I have a couple of old Johnson Century's in like new condition. They are really nice. Perfect for the grand kids. All of my fishing tackle is vintage 60s-70s stuff in like new condition. All made in the U.S.A. too! MAGA! Sort of suspends all the good memories of growing up with that tackle.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wouldn't have one. Spinning all the way, as LT Powell said.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zebco 808

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I’m left handed. So RH reals seemed common.

Handles are bisexual on spinning reels, you can change them from side to side. Shimano or Penn.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
FWIW I have spinning reels, baitcasters, fly reels and a side-cast reel. I bought my wife a spincaster a few years ago, because of how simple they are to use, and it turned out to be such nice thing to use for flicking light lures that I bought myself one. Ours are both Zebco, a 202 and a Rhino 33.

There again, among my shotguns I have a SxS. Two, if you count the drilling. I like them too.

This is supposed to be fun, isn't it?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+1, I think the heyday of the top spincasters was about the 1970's. Zebco made some decent ones after that, with ball bearings, etc.

But the Johnson Century's were a no-bearing option that just felt good, and were a lot of fun to fish....and still are. I think they date back to the 1960's. The Swedish Abu 170 was also a nice reel, but heavier duty than the Johnsons. For small stuff, I'd go with the Johnson loaded with light line and for heavier the Abu 170. Abu even made some heavier models than the 170.

Another poster talked about the old Shakespeare and Pfleuger underspins, that you set into freespool by backing up the handle. Many of these were actually very well made, precision products. My grandpa used them mounted on fly rods (the white blank Shakespeare "wonder rod" versions), and I have since inherited them and use them every now and then. My problem with these was the slow retrieve. Still they are kind of cool, but better for bait fishing than casting and cranking lures.

Spin cast reels are just another tool, you just need to leverage their strong points. I have used all of the ones mentioned, and also completely restored/blueprinted multiples of each, so am familiar with them.

IMO, Where spincasters really shine is on small creeks with lots of overhanging brush. You can poke a rod tip through the brush and then just pop a button to let the bait drop. They are also good for bow and arrow casts when no backcast is possible.

Lotta fun to be had with a spincaster….

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.