Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Darn. The light gold Abu is a 275 instead of a 140.
The Johnson is smallest of all but is closer to the phone camera. I hope to use it for gills this year.

[Linked Image]forensic anthropology working conditions

[Linked Image]

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There sure are a lot of reel "Snobs" on here.
I have two Zebco 33's, two Jonson "Century" models, all made in the U S A.
And 6 Shimano Quickfire spinning reels.
A Penn 209
3 Okuma's
2 Daiwa underspins
Ans two big Shakespere spinners that were made here too.
Almost all the spincast reels on the market today are cheap made in china crap.
To all the Snobs who insist you get them a spinning reel,,,,,,,,,Buzz Off!
Spincasters are way easier to learn on and fit a chillds hand better [ ya didn't think of that, did ya?]
Even though they are made in chinkland, Zebco is still the wat to go.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Darn. The light gold Abu is a 275 instead of a 140.
The Johnson is smallest of all but is closer to the phone camera. I hope to use it for gills this year.

[Linked Image]forensic anthropology working conditions

[Linked Image]

Clear water spawners. You can see the gravel of its bed below it, to the right in the pic. This water is about 4 ft deep and iirc that is a split shot above the redear. If casting to their bed wont draw a strike you can get over the bed and lower and raise the split shot dropping it on the nose of the fish on its bed and get it aggravated enough to suck the worm covered hook just below the weight into ther mouth. You can not strike fast enough to hook it. It sees you jerk the rod up and spits the hook faster than you can blink your eye, so fast you can barely see the hook and worm fly out. Often you miss seeing it happen. In this event you just dont jerk when the fish sucks it in. You just dont move and let the fish swim the hooked worm out of its bed. When you feel the pull, jerk.

[Linked Image]

This bass took a 7 inch sunfish under a cork i had cast out to deeper water.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/05/19.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RC, is that at your lake house?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Private lake in east Texas. I cant get my darn boat out of the repair shop to get to go to the lake. Also, the floods earlier have off colored tje wster and it has a slimey scum growth and my BIL hasnt been doing any good fishing for a few months.

My son was tied up last year and i didnt go until Oct and fished with my BIL. We got some bass but no crappie. They just had big rains in that country and i dont know when the fishing will pick up.

Cousin Shannon and his grandson. Hes holding Hunters rod out of the way while focused on bumping a redear on the nose with his splitshot. I think we stopped at 50 that day.

Shannon is one of the most fish catching men alive almost whatever river, bay, lake he gets on for crappie, whites, bass, yellow cat, blues,channel, redears, bluegills, specks, reds, rainbows in Mo. Its depressing.

[Linked Image]

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The issue with spincast reels is that they are dead technology. In other words, no one is making any improvements to their spincast reels technology wise, and what they settled on is one of the most challenged fishing methods available.

They do have a small niche in a few places, and are the go to for kids reels because they are cheap to produce and sell, and are prone to being thrown in the garage or trash after some time when kids get tired of them or newbie fisherman who dont necessarily take care of their equipment let them rot to the state of unusability. I’m not a reel snob at all, and when it comes to fishing, I’m a strong proponent of whatever gets you outdoors fishing is great. But technology has past them long ago, and spinning reels are the wave of the future as starter reels go. They are mostly ambidextrous, have much better drags, cast better, and have much better line management than spincast reels do. They normally will outlast all but the most robust spincast reels (as long as they are not total junk spinning reels). They are almost as easy for kids to use as spincast reels with a little instruction, and kids can carry on using them beyond their toddler years because they already know the system.

My vote is for the spinning reel, though I do like my baitcasters and conventional reels (which many people seem challenged to figure out for some reason).

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I agree. When after serious fish i use these shimanos, garcia revos, 5000cs, diawas, lews pro.

[Linked Image]

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
The issue with spincast reels is that they are dead technology. In other words, no one is making any improvements to their spincast reels technology wise, and what they settled on is one of the most challenged fishing methods available.

They do have a small niche in a few places, and are the go to for kids reels because they are cheap to produce and sell, and are prone to being thrown in the garage or trash after some time when kids get tired of them or newbie fisherman who dont necessarily take care of their equipment let them rot to the state of unusability. I’m not a reel snob at all, and when it comes to fishing, I’m a strong proponent of whatever gets you outdoors fishing is great. But technology has past them long ago, and spinning reels are the wave of the future as starter reels go. They are mostly ambidextrous, have much better drags, cast better, and have much better line management than spincast reels do. They normally will outlast all but the most robust spincast reels (as long as they are not total junk spinning reels). They are almost as easy for kids to use as spincast reels with a little instruction, and kids can carry on using them beyond their toddler years because they already know the system.

My vote is for the spinning reel, though I do like my baitcasters and conventional reels (which many people seem challenged to figure out for some reason).

Good post Captain, and kids take to the spinning tackle very well...because they can see how it works. I have nothing against spincasters....that Abu 170 was my pride and joy 50 years ago. BUT...you better get used to losing "the big one". I know ...I know....it's possible to catch a tarpon on a 202, but not without 400# braid and an expert on the rod.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I picked up a Zebco Rhino several years ago and used it last summer to catch bass and walleye on the Mississippi. It worked flawlessly.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

What’s the modern day equivalent? Smooth reeling. Prolly put it on a pistol grip ugly stick.

IMO, that would be the Zebco Bullet except its way better in every way than the older ones (Ones, 808's etc) I grew up with. I was loaned one on a fishing trip and could not believe how nice it was. Reels in fast like a baitcast and slings light lures a long way. I think it would be ideal for what you describe doing.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/zebco-bullet-spincast-reel

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one of those Bass Pro spincast reels today. Pretty nice, and gears were smooth. $30 for a decent reel. Brought it home, tied a black and yellow spinner on it and caught 2 bass in my pond and lost 3 more. I liked it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
A pair of Pfluegers here on St Croix rods. Dads is the President. My boys is the next step up, can’t remember the name but was on sale for same price so thought I’d try it out. I’ve got a half dozen Presidents, half with 2 lb line for trout, half 6 lb line for crappie. Hard to beat for $50.
[Linked Image]

I would never be anywhere else. Nice setup!!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the replies.

Had a Christmas bass pro card i needed to use.

Picked up a pflueger president and an ugly stick.

Now to wait in rain to stop and creek go down.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They need a heavy lure/bait and new line to cast well. I have an ancient Pflueger Akron that I love. Still cooking after 45+ years. It has a certain use, but does it well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only Spincast I ever had was a Daiwa Gold-cast
Soon got tired of its poor ergonomics and other limitations.
it just can't compare to a low-slung baitcaster for feel and control.

Todays generation of small high performance spinning reels
and high tech matching rods; are so light, powerful and versatile.

Something like a Daiwa Exist or Steez and a high grade Daiwa stick
with those AGS carbon fibre line guides ..Are my kind of thing.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
The only Spincast I ever had was a Daiwa Gold-cast
Soon got tired of its poor ergonomics and other limitations.
it just can't compare to a low-slung baitcaster for feel and control.

Todays generation of small high performance spinning reels
and high tech matching rods; are so light, powerful and versatile.

Something like a Daiwa Exist or Steez and a high grade Daiwa stick
with those AGS carbon fibre line guides ..Are my kind of thing.

No need for a $500 setup to creek fish.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Learn how to use a baitcaster. You can do more with it once you learn how to use it.

Last edited by EIB0879; 05/11/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No need for a $500 setup to creek fish.

Be it hunting out fishing , many folks will spend well beyond what they need,
simply cause they like or want.

and Using top notch gear makes all my fishing time more pleasurable.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You’re bigstikin it now.

I’d bet my lunch money you couldn’t tell the diff your steez/ Daiwa setup and my lews / dobyns setup.

Spinner reel folks,

Close the bail by hand or turn the handle?

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You’re bigstikin it now. ..

Im just mentioning how many people will and do spend their money on gun gear and fishing gear.

what you see as unnecessary, many others will see as normal or regular consumer purchase behavior.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 1100mag, 22 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,266
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.