Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I own a couple FN commercials (30-06, 9.3x62), a couple of Walther Model B's (7x57, 8x57), an Erfurt (8x57), a couple 1909 Argentines (30-06's) and my favorite below. A 7x57 built on a M96. The metal work is by Jim Wisner and the wood by Dean Zollinger. Note the front scope base integral to the quarter rib and the G33/40 cut. Missing a shot with the scope mounted in the perfectly timed QD rings Jim made.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover
Sorry I wasn't clear on my question, what I was asking was it a Swedish model 96 Mauser. I expect that it probably is but was just curious since you didn't include that in your post.
Regardless it is a fine looking rifle.

drover

Ah. Yes, Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Aktiebolag 1943 Swedish Mauser

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I saw Pugs' new rifle in the flesh on Sunday and it is one very lively feeling rifle in the hand. Those pics just don't do it 100% justice.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I saw Pugs' new rifle in the flesh on Sunday and it is one very lively feeling rifle in the hand. Those pics just don't do it 100% justice.

You'll note I hid the gun safe combo from you. grin We need to get out to the range together next month and a beer after.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
Well, he was English, after all!

WDM Bell was Scottish.

The Lee Enfield excells in two areas; the abilty to close on a round which is difficult to chamber and the ability to close on a round fed in ahead of the extractor.
Apart from that, I would have to disagree with the reliability claims.

The Lee Enfields Bell used showed a distinct advantage over his Rigby mausers and his Mannlichers in the dirtiest conditions.

His .303s kept working in conditions under which those other bolt rifles would fail him.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Pugs,

Is that rust blued or a satin blue?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bt8897
Pugs,

Is that rust blued or a satin blue?

Satin blue - figured that was most appropriate

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by drover
Sorry I wasn't clear on my question, what I was asking was it a Swedish model 96 Mauser. I expect that it probably is but was just curious since you didn't include that in your post.
Regardless it is a fine looking rifle.

drover

Ah. Yes, Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Aktiebolag 1943 Swedish Mauser

Looks like we cross-posted.

Thanks, I thought it probably was.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
None of these Rifles meet Big Sticks approval or standards.

He has after all.
" Shot it all, and then some"............

laugh laugh laugh

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

You'll note I hid the gun safe combo from you. grin We need to get out to the range together next month and a beer after.

You're on!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I posted these elsewhere on the fire but this seems to be the thread it really belongs in.

Mauser 96 not a 98 (traded Hatari a bottle of bourbon for the action and bottom metal though so why split hairs) grin 6.5x55 Off to Mark Penrod. Ed LaPour 3 position safety, Hopewell 1-8" 3 groove barrel, NEGC iron sights, lots of metal smoothing and cleaning up by Mark, he couldn't really sweep the bolt much with the new safety but it's a little. Tally detachable rings. I don't really see using the iron sights much but a Mannlicher looks silly without the. Wenigs did the stock. Stock has a surprising amount of palm swell that I happen to like.

Took about 2 years all told but a really nice custom rifle for less than many factory semi-customs. I can't say enough good about Mark. Superb communication (all these pics are his) and great discussions about options and what the overall cost I was looking for in a hunting rifle for the rest of my life. There's a reason he's got a wait.

Delivered sub one inch groups with the 100 grain NP loads and 1 1/2" with the Norma Oryx loads I had on hand. Loaded some purpose built ones last weekend but I won't have a chance to get back out to the range for a bit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With the scope. A 4x32 IOR with the #4 German reticle.

[Linked Image]

HO-LEE SMOKES! I think I’ll have to drop you a line and get some more details and specifics on this. It’s PERFECT! I might change a few small details to my own liking, but that, right there, is a gorgeous rifle! I’m a fan of the 6.5 Swede, but a 7x57 would be nice as well. Hmm...

I’ll have to shoot you a PM here in a bit!

Last edited by Basher; 05/07/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.... Altered bolt handles are mandatory, of course, as are safeties ...GD

Why are such changes mandatory?

some of the best Mauser shops across the globe are still turning out new rifles for customers with original spec.
Oberndorf bolt handles and Mauser shroud safety.

if I had my time again with throwing heavy money at custom mausers, I would stay with what I just mentioned.
but At the time I got sold on the over-rated bullCHITT popular modern changes that are all the rage with some folk.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was told Blackburn did the metal and Gary Goudy did the stock. I met Gary a few years back at the Vegas show. He remembered the rifle.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Three 7x57s, one '06, two 257Rs. (Plus a Montana actioned .257, a Dakota .250-3000, and a pre-64 M70 '06, as 98 derivatives.)

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have a few. These aren't all of 'em, but most, and there's another in progress:

From top, .243 Winchester on a Mexican action, probably made in the 1960's judging from the styling. No clue about who made it, but they did great work, and the rifle shoots tiny groups.

6.5x55 on an FN commercial action, with Dave Gentry 3-position safety, and Lilja 1-8 barrel installed by Charlie Sisk. I did the stock, which is New Zealand-grown European walnut.

8x57 on a military action with no markings. An older German custom rifle, with light geometric engraving.

.338 Winchester Magnum on FN commercial action, with a Sako barrel and Bansner High-Tech stock--also with a Gentry safety.

.375 H&H, on a Whitworth barreled action. Found it in a cheap synthetic stock at Capital Sports almost 20 years ago. Shortened the barrel to 22" and had D'Arcy Echols install NECG express sights, and Dave Gentry install another of his safeties. The stock is a Boyds plain-grade walnut that I modified to fit me, then finished and checkered.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nope.

Hint...…………...

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have a few. These aren't all of 'em, but most, and there's another in progress:

From top, .243 Winchester on a Mexican action, probably made in the 1960's judging from the styling. No clue about who made it, but they did great work, and the rifle shoots tiny groups.

6.5x55 on an FN commercial action, with Dave Gentry 3-position safety, and Lilja 1-8 barrel installed by Charlie Sisk. I did the stock, which is New Zealand-grown European walnut.

8x57 on a military action with no markings. An older German custom rifle, with light geometric engraving.

.338 Winchester Magnum on FN commercial action, with a Sako barrel and Bansner High-Tech stock--also with a Gentry safety.

.375 H&H, on a Whitworth barreled action. Found it in a cheap synthetic stock at Capital Sports almost 20 years ago. Shortened the barrel to 22" and had D'Arcy Echols install NECG express sights, and Dave Gentry install another of his safeties. The stock is a Boyds plain-grade walnut that I modified to fit me, then finished and checkered.

[Linked Image]

Mule Deer,I like the .243,6.5x55 and the .375 H&H. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No pure Mausers any more. Had one in what I think was a McMillan and sold it, unfired by me.

My 6.5-06AI is built on an Interarms Mark X (Zavasta) action, Boyd stock, Krieger barrel and Timney trigger. Awesome shooter but purpose-built heavy for long range.
Bunches of '98 derivatives in the safe (Ruger M77/MKII/Hawkeye).

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Mauser copy...
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1234, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,086
Posts18,482,842
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.