Home
Posted By: rickt300 Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/02/19
Looking into the far reaches of my safe I pulled out three. My favorite an old 24/47 that had been rebarreled to 7x57, worked into a Ramline synthetic stock made for the Model 96 Mauser, a Timney trigger added, bolt bent and D&Td. It had been retired a couple of years ago and the Redfeild scope had been repurposed. This is the gun I named "Ugly". The barrel was a heavy sporter contour and I cut it down to 19 inches for easier box blind handling. It is a heavy rifle still but balance is excellent and over the years this rifle has taken more deer and feral hogs than a lot of people take in a lifetime. Next up is another 24/47 that I put an Israeli 7.62x51 barrel on, turned the original trigger into a pretty light, smooth single stage trigger with some creep. I remember thinking I coulda bought another Timney.....cheap! I also did a bubba on the stock turning into a light straight grip slender handle. Musta had all sorts of spare time back in the 80's. Had the bolt bent, the action drilled and tapped and put another Redfeild scope on it, this one a 4x Wideview. I shot a few deer with it but it became my favorite night hog gun and it still gets used some.In fact I shot it today. Next up is a Dirty Bird M98 I bought already sporterized and barreled for 6MM Remington, nice walnut stock, Bueler safety. Barrel didn't last so I rebarreled it again to 270 with a heavy sporter contour barrel. This one had already been triggerized by someone else and it was tolerable. Another somewhat heavy rifle this one is a tackdriver. I have taken coyotes, two elk, several deer and hogs with it. These rifles are stacked behind their "replacements". A Remington model 7 7-08, a Ruger M77 270 tanger and a Marlin XS7 in 308. I don't think I will let the Marlin replace the old Mauser 308. The replacement rifles are all lighter than the older guns and have better triggers though the Timney on the 7x57 is just fine. Not sure why I decided to make this rambling commentary other than to put some thought on three rifles I have used a heck of a lot over the years. I also like Springfields but that is another story.
Posted By: z1r Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/02/19
The vast majority of bolt action rifles in may safes are 98 variants. The few that aren't were purchased for their novelty or simply because the cartridge appealed to me or isn't suited to the 98 action. For example, a rem 722 in 300 Savage, or CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel, various .223's etc.
Well I have to say my collection is big and calibers varied. I shoot a lot also. I occasionally go through a period where I feel I should reduce the collection. Maybe I should see a shrink!
I only have 1 pure 98 action on a 284 W, 21" bll., Timney trigger in a Boyd's hardwood stock.

Like z1r said most of the rest of mine are 'variants' of the 98.

Jerry
Was it tough getting it to feed?
Still have my first deer rifle, a '44 BCD code 98K. Has the original barrel, Bishop stock and Redfield peeps. Not worth much, but it is to me. Eyes are not what they used to be, but can still hit minute of deer as needed.
Funny you should post this, I just finished putting a new stepped 8x57 barrel on a 1915 Danzig Gew action. Building one for my nephew/Godson who is graduating HS this year. I have 98s in the safe in 8x57, 30-06 and 270(2). My favorite is the 8x57...

[Linked Image]
I have 3 FN 98s Commercials in 30,06 and .257 Roberts, and Military 7x57. Have owned many before ! great action, plenty accurate dependable and safe !
Originally Posted by rickt300

No sir, nothing special. It’s NOT as smooth as say Tikka, or some but no particular
problem. If you pull or push real slow you can feel a little roughness but in normal
cycling I never notice it.

I’ll try to take a pic or 2 tomorrow. My other pix show it laying on dead deerS. grin
and not particularly close up.

Jerry
I have a few.
Not a snowballs chance in hell after seeing my brothers build...which ended with a plane ticket to Idaho and two days with D’arcy Echols.
[Linked Image]

Sako customized in the late 40,s early 50,s
1939 8x57 KAR 98

I brought it back to life in 2017.
I'm a sucker for FN Commercial actions! I don't see how any 'rifleman" doesn't like Mausers! smile A few years back I bought a "battlefield pick up" (Russians supposedly cleaned them up/sold them) a KAR 98 8x57 full military. I had my smith do a trigger job on it and a taller front blade. I had bought a huge box ( over 500 rds) of Turkish machinegun ammo. Man would it shoot! Corrosive of course, but I just poured hot water down the tube and then cleaned regularly. I gave that rifle to a young man in my congregation. He doesn't hunt but likes to shoot rocks out in the desert. I like the Mark X actions too, and the old H&R rifles. I would like to find a nice stalking rifle in 8x57 or 7mm for sure.
Does s Remington 798 count?
This was rifle is a Mauser Banner model that was a bubbafied sporter when I bought it at the Treasure Chest pawn shop in Phoenix back in '83 or '84. By the late 80's I took it to a local gunsmith here in NY and had him turn it into a 7x57 Mannlicher style carbine.

It's a sweet deer gun for the North East

[Linked Image]

Dan
[Linked Image]

This is my one and only. Dad liberated it during WWII. Adams and Bennet 257Rob barrel, trigger, Boyd's stock. Shots MOA
Dantheman, that's a beauty!
Originally Posted by jwall

I’ll try to take a pic or 2 tomorrow. My other pix show it laying on dead deerS. grin

See here < grin > A Doe on 1 st Day of our Doe Only MG season 2017

[Linked Image]

AGAIN grin , A broken horn 8 pt chasing 1 of 2 Does on Opening Day of our MG season 2017
[Linked Image]

A closeup of the closed action. I HAD to use Hi rings for bolt clearance.

[Linked Image]

Nothing special IN the action for cycling.

[Linked Image]

It holds 4 down & 1 UP the spout. It works just fine AFAIC smile

[Linked Image]

Jerry
'50's vintage FN 98 with custom work picked up here on the Classifieds. Had jkob fit a Shilen 6.5x55 barrel. Fit it in an Edge McWoody classic stock.

Had a Canjar trigger, now wears a .25-8x32 Conquest in Talley rings. Loves 139 Scenars over MRP.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
SHOW OFF whistle

It's a BEAUT !! cool

Jerry
"Mausers" takes in a bunch of territory, and a lot of the naysayers have, I think, based their opinions on sporterized specimines that may or may not have been cunningly crafted. Unlike push feeds, 98s have to be properly tuned to the case or case "family" they're expected to function with, so stuffing something out of that range into one willy-nilly might not work out. I've never had an issue with a commercial version, but once bought a nice sportized 7x57 that had lost the magazine block somewhere, causing the follower to tilt. Easy fix once I found it, but ones that need rail or extractor work would be out of my skill zone.

The floppy bolt travel bothers some, but is a consequence of needing sure function under battlefield conditions, and brisk manipulation of the bolt goes a long way towards minimizing the impression of looseness.

I love 'em, have two commercial ones now, and still think they're the best overall hunting rifle action, if not target or competition one. There are some real bargains to be had now, and if one sticks to commercial versions or carefully checks out conversions, it's hard to get stuck.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The floppy bolt travel bothers some, but is a consequence of needing sure function under battlefield conditions, and brisk manipulation of the bolt goes a long way towards minimizing the impression of looseness.

YEP. Under field hunting conditions I never notice any looseness.

Jerry
Oh yes, I love good Mausers.

I have them in 25-06, 270 (2 of them), 30-06 (2 of them) 300 H&H, 8X57, 9.3X57 (2 of those) 9.3X62, 375H&H and 404 Jeffery.

I have had several others over my life too, in:
220 Swift
6MM Remington.
257 Roberts
6.5X55, (2 of them)
270s (3 others)
7X57, (2 of them)
7MM Rem Mag,
300 Mags (1 Winchester, (2) 308 Normas, 1 300 Weatherby)
338-06 (3 of them)
338 Win Mag
416 Taylor (2 of them)
458 Winchester (3 of them)
460 G&A
and 505 Gibbs

Yep.........I like Mausers, and I have for about 50 years.
Old school. One that I've carried a lot over the last 30 years. I re-barreled it with a Parker-Hale .30-06 barrel, added the Griffin&Howe mount as backup for the Lyman receiver sight. I would like to swap the scope out for something better but am limited to something with an ocular lens as small in diameter as this old Weaver K2.5, as the bolt handle barely clears it as it is. I had the Weaver re-furbed, so it's not all that bad, but still...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
'50's vintage FN 98 with custom work picked up here on the Classifieds. Had jkob fit a Shilen 6.5x55 barrel. Fit it in an Edge McWoody classic stock.

Had a Canjar trigger, now wears a .25-8x32 Conquest in Talley rings. Loves 139 Scenars over MRP.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice work, awesome piece of wood!

See here < grin > A Doe on 1 st Day of our Doe Only MG season 2017

[Linked Image]

AGAIN grin , A broken horn 8 pt chasing 1 of 2 Does on Opening Day of our MG season 2017
[Linked Image]

A closeup of the closed action. I HAD to use Hi rings for bolt clearance.

[Linked Image]

Nothing special IN the action for cycling.

[Linked Image]

It holds 4 down & 1 UP the spout. It works just fine AFAIC smile

[Linked Image]

Jerry

I considered doing a 284 but went 7x57 instead. Nice rifle, wonder why the smith didn't bend the bolt handle to clear the scope bell better?
I like commercial 98s from FN and the post-WW2 Husqvarna 1600/HVA series.

I like some military Mausers, specifically these:

Pre-WW1 DWM 1908 Brazilians and 1909 Argentinians.

WW1 small rings made at the Erfurt Arsenal.

'Tween WW1 and WW2 FNs and some of the small ring Mexicans.

I even like the pre-1898 Swedish Mausers made by Husqvarna in 1942/43 if they are modified to handle escaping gas better.
SHOW OFF whistle

It's a BEAUT !! cool

Jerry

laugh

Proud to be so humble... blush

It is unique and I was fortunate enough to put it together.

It's not as pretty as a classic with high grade walnut, but lighter due to Edge fill.

The action work, Canjar, etc was all done by a previous owner. The action was as is and in the white when I bought it from a Fire contributor here on the Classifieds. He had picked it up at a gun show. It was probably a project that never got finished. I got the action for less than the cost of the custom work. It's a keeper.

DF

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

grin

Thanks...

Actually it's fiberglass, a McWoody by McMillan.

McMillan no longer offers Edge fill with any marble finish without a black background. The black carbon shell sometimes shows thru the finish. So with the brown backgound McWoody, this may be one of the last Edge McWoody rifle stocks, which makes it even mroe special.

DF

[Linked Image]

Hey D F:

MY 'mouser' looks better than yours !

[Linked Image]

NO ? whistle

laugh laugh

ifn you're ready I'll take yours OFF your hands. grin

Jerry

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

grin

Thanks...

McMillan no longer offers Edge fill with any marble finish without a black background. The black carbon shell sometimes shows thru the finish. So with the brown backgound McWoody, this may be one of the last Edge McWoody rifle stocks, which makes it even mroe special.

DF

I sure missed that! Still good looking stock.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

grin

Thanks...

DF

I sure missed that! Still good looking stock.

I guess McM would take that as a compliment, their McWoody passing for a nice piece of walnut.

DF

[Linked Image]

Hey D F:

MY 'mouser' looks better than yours !

[Linked Image]

NO ? whistle

laugh laugh

ifn you're ready I'll take yours OFF your hands. grin

Jerry

The venison sorta tilts the table... grin.

Guns always look better, pictured next to some good eating....

DF
Whitworth .375 H&H.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Another Mauser,this one is a Santa Barbra action 9x57.
[Linked Image]
Here's my favorite 98 - a VZ24.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
How about a Little Help ?

Obviously this is a 98 but I don't know how to identify it more specifically.

IS there something or s that would tell me more about it?

I got this rifle from Grasshopper here on the fire but we didn't talk about those specifics. Any help appreciated.

[Linked Image]

Jerry
ADDENDUM

It has a 5 digit serial no. 35XXX
Posted By: z1r Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/04/19
How about a Little Help ?

Obviously this is a 98 but I don't know how to identify it more specifically.

IS there something or s that would tell me more about it?

I got this rifle from Grasshopper here on the fire but we didn't talk about those specifics. Any help appreciated.

[Linked Image]

Jerry

Columbian 98 Modified to fire the .30-06 cartridge.
Z1r

Thanks. I’ll see what I can chase down on it.

Thank You

Jerry
I have "baby-sat" two K98's both in 8mm
One was the neighbor's (Mannlicher) he let me use it for a couple weeks.
The other was from a friend who had his Dads WWII military, he knew nothing about it and wanted me to see if it was safe.
After a thorough cleaning she was amazingly pristine... sadly I had to give it back. But I called "dibbs" when or if he ever sells it.
Mention it every time I see him nowdays.
Posted By: z1r Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/04/19
A pic of the other side might help.
That would not be a problem but there are NO markings on the L side of the action except the serial no.

What you can see is the Thumb slot and typical Mauser bolt release.

Is there something I'm missing ?

Jerry
Any marking on the front receiver?
Ken

No markings are visible except the serial no. The action has been REblued and looks brand new. I suspect it was ground and polished
to a mirror finish.

I'm not having any problems just curious about the particular action. I've shot it, loaded, graphed, grouped, hunted and killed WT with it.

Jerry
Ok.

It is a military action and after that I don't know. Use it and don't worry about the history of it,like you're already doing. wink
Take it apart, look under the receiver on the flat behind the recoil lug. And on the 1st curve of the barrel just in front of it.
Thnx renegade.
I will when it’s appropriate or convenient.
Not that important now.

Thanks again

Jerry
I've got a Yugo 28/44 somewhere that hasn't been shot. But the one I love is an FN Imperial grade 30-06 that was purchased new in April of 1961 from Adams Gun shop in Mountain View Ca. I have the receipt and the rifle was $165 the Lyman All American was $54.50 and the Buehler ring mounts were $22.85.

Edited to say my father in law purchased it while working on his masters from Stanford. Shame what happened to California. A bunch of handguns I inherited came from Abercrombe and Fitch in S.F. and it seems now they only sell worn out clothes for gayesh boys.

At some point someone talked him into punching it out to 300WM. That didn't work out well because he was a slightly built fellow and it knocked him around. As best as Mark Brown could tell his father re barreled it in the late 70's and I'm guessing it was restocked at the same time.

This is how I got it.

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]

The stock didn't fit me well so I took it back to Brown Precision and had them finish it off. Looks like this now.

I kinda like it.
TGTBTU

Yugo 24/47 in 7mm RSI barrel unfinished.
[Linked Image]

VZ-24 before/after
[Linked Image]

7mm Brenneke
[Linked Image]

small ring 8mm
[Linked Image]

Steyr Chilean
[Linked Image]

Shortened Mauser (09) in 250 savage
[Linked Image]

9mm Mauser (not 9.3)
[img]https://i.imgur.com/NUSGjPq.jpg[/img]

Peru 30/06
[img]https://i.imgur.com/QL6ZF2C.jpg[/img]

Brno
[img]https://i.imgur.com/tR0d6HM.jpg[/img]

Custom Argy 7Mauser
[img]https://i.imgur.com/vPrasxw.jpg[/img]

Argy 9.3x62 - doug barrel
[img]https://i.imgur.com/wPMhkSK.jpg[/img]
Who shortened that 250 Savage Mauser? I ask because Ron Lampert from MN did some of that work and it was outstanding.

That gun looks well done. Not just anyone can pull that off.

DF
Mauser's are cool rifles, much more so than the generic M700 Remington's that have taken over.
[Linked Image]
The Mauser 98 is the BEST action for a rough-use hunting rifle. Having said this, it's important to point out that most changes detract from its utility. Altered bolt handles are mandatory, of course, as are safeties but everything else should be left alone to assure reliability. The original trigger can be tuned to provide a reasonably crisp 3 pound pull while retaining the two stages which make the trigger so safe and reliable.
I have some Mausers with aftermarket triggers (Timney, Sako, and Dayton-Traister) but my serious hunter, a 35 Whelen, still has the original trigger. It pulls 3 pounds and is as close to infallible as a trigger can be. If I hadf to get rid of all but one hunting rifle, this is the one I would keep. GD
2 commercial FN's one in 9.3x62 and a Sako in 300 H&H . A VZ 24 in 7mm Rem Mag and a Voere Cougar in 308 Norma Mag. Yes I like them!
Posted By: Quak Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/06/19
Im a YUGE fan of Mausers. My favs have always been the Vz24s and the FN made actions...but its for no other reason than their internal fit and finish. Also really like the Cz550...as i appreciate the 2 pos saftey on a hunting rifle.

If i was made of money...or perhaps if i hadn't blown hundreds of thousands on lesser guns over the years...id do all my hunting with a Mauser custom...7x57 or .308. Would be all id ever need.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
[Linked Image]

That looks like a Parker Hale.

I thought it took a .460 to stop a NM Jackwabbit.

Obviously, that's not a .460...

DF
It's a Parker Hale Varmint .25/06.

I was stunt shooting. wink

Sorta light ordinance for serious wabbit hunting.

DF
I had to look at the pic twice & enlarge it.

I first thot it had a carbine bll. grin.

Jerry

Sorta light ordinance for serious wabbit hunting.

DF

Yes it is,but I survived. wink
VZ 98 .35 Whelen, 21" Barrel, cerakoated, Unknown synthetic stock. Favorite go to rifle.

98 .275 Robert's, decent maple stock. Has killed its share of Pa whitetails.

96 6.5x55. Bolt bent, aftermarket safety, Ramline stock. Shoots great, haven't taken it hunting yet.

Siamese Mauser .45-70, walnut stock. Purchased on here a few years ago. Shooting 430 gr hard cast. Absolute thumper on both ends.

Interarms Mark X Flaigs custom .375 H&H with Douglas XX barrel. Was in a fajen thumbhole, but the wrist cracked. Currently sits in a Remington 798 laminate stock. Was willed to me by a friends father. I killed 3 doe in one day with it while hunting with my friend and his Das. His Dad never forgot and left me the rifle and 140 rounds on ammo. Hope to someday afford an appropriate walnut stock for it.

On the lookout for a 7×57 Carbine with a full length stock.
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
On the lookout for a 7×57 Carbine with a full length stock.

Something kinda like the one below?

I VERY foolishly sold this one in the exchange last year and regret it often. It was a custom made by a doctor up in the Campe Verde, AZ area in 7x57, and it was VERY well done. I’d do a lot of things to get it back, but I guess I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for another or just have one made myself eventually.

And it wasn’t just any Mauser, it was a Chilean Model 1935 Carabineros “Orden Y Patria” Mauser. Rare in it’s own right, though I suppose you could argue the custom work negated any collector’s value. But not matter how you look at it, it was a rare bird indeed. Hindsight is 20/20, as they say... Oh well!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: z1r Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/07/19
Oberndorf Mauser, Type S, 7x57:

[Linked Image]
VZ24 .338-06:

[Linked Image]
9,3x62

[Linked Image]
10.75x57

[Linked Image]
Brno 7x57

[Linked Image]
Brno 8x57

[Linked Image]
9,3x64

[Linked Image]
Another 9,3x62 prior to bluing.

[Linked Image]
This is a little Mexican Mauser I'm working on. It has a Pacnor featherweight barrel in 7mm Mauser. It's pretty much done, but the stock still needs to be checkered. I'll get around to having that done one day...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by greydog
The Mauser 98 is the BEST action for a rough-use hunting rifle. Having said this, it's important to point out that most changes detract from its utility...

WDM Bell found that in terms of reliability-function in harsh hunting conditions the Lee Enfields he had distinctly out- performed Mausers
and other European rifles like the Mannlichers in his collection. ...worst were the fancy prima donna SxS rifles.

His knowledge/experience with the Lee and Mauser also came from his combat service, Boer War and WW1.

Largely due to extensively field proven ruggedness and reliability, he purposely chose the military Lee and Mauser
for his commercial exploit ventures in Africa.

In the worst hunting conditions, the Lee Enfield proved the most reliable.
Some really nice Mousers from the gentlemen from Co and Ga!
Well, he was English, after all! The Lee Enfield excells in two areas; the abilty to close on a round which is difficult to chamber and the ability to close on a round fed in ahead of the extractor.
Apart from that, I would have to disagree with the reliability claims. Without a doubt, the two military based rifles I saw most in the shop were Mausers and Lee Enfields. Seldom were either one in for repairs; just drilling and tapping or other alterations. However, I never saw a broken extractor on a Mauser but did see broken extractor springs on Lee Enfields. Mausers which were chambered for original cartridges never had feeding issues. Lee Enfields didn't either unless the shooter happened to not take care when filling the magazine and got the rim of the top cartridge behind the rim of the one underneath. It would then try to double feed and was truly jammed until cleared. This was strictly operator error, I know, and was reflective of the issue with rimmed cartridges in a magazine but it happened.
Currently, I hunt with both and don't expect a malfunction from either one. I have to say, I don't see malfunctions from the Winchesters or Remingtons I use either so it's all just perception, I reckon. GD
I'll admit the Lee Enfield cycles faster than the Mauser, but after that, there isn't much of a comparison, IMO.

DF
Posted By: las Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/07/19
Yes, I am a fan. Have owned several, all good rifles. Pretty much bomb-proof. Currently own only one, which came with a remote cabin that I purchased sight unseen back in mid 70's. It was marked .270 Jefferson- with a nicely figured MonteCarlo stock- obviously at least semi (probably fully custom build. Very accurate.

For the record, i hate that original military two-stage trigger, would never have one. Mine sports a Timney, I think. It is set at 2.5 lbs.When I want a gun to go off, I don't want to have it second-guess me, dammit!

I loaned it to my brother, who returned it 22 years later when it "quit shooting" after a winter in a damp basement. He was right- nothing I could do made it workable for any shooting past 20 yards or so, even tho I could see no pitting in the bore. I picked up and full-length bedded in a $100 (maybe $110) "Finnish sniper" parkerized barrel in 30-06 from Sportsman's Guide. It is 27 inches from front of receiver to muzzle, and a fairly heavy contour- heavy enough I'm unlikely to pack it very far, or maybe even very fast.... Whole rifle with VXIII 3.5-10X weighs in the neighborhood of 10 lbs. Fine for hunting off an ATV, snow machine, or boat.

If the nut behind the trigger is steady enough, it gets 1" groups at 300 yards with every factory ammo I have tried. Wildly different POI between brands/loads however. Even between Hornady GMX and SST Superperformance in same bullet weights. But that's OK - I have them written down. Somewhere.....

Hmmm- maybe I should try handloading for better accuracy? smile
Posted By: Pugs Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/07/19
I posted these elsewhere on the fire but this seems to be the thread it really belongs in.

Mauser 96 not a 98 (traded Hatari a bottle of bourbon for the action and bottom metal though so why split hairs) grin 6.5x55 Off to Mark Penrod. Ed LaPour 3 position safety, Hopewell 1-8" 3 groove barrel, NEGC iron sights, lots of metal smoothing and cleaning up by Mark, he couldn't really sweep the bolt much with the new safety but it's a little. Tally detachable rings. I don't really see using the iron sights much but a Mannlicher looks silly without the. Wenigs did the stock. Stock has a surprising amount of palm swell that I happen to like.

Took about 2 years all told but a really nice custom rifle for less than many factory semi-customs. I can't say enough good about Mark. Superb communication (all these pics are his) and great discussions about options and what the overall cost I was looking for in a hunting rifle for the rest of my life. There's a reason he's got a wait.

Delivered sub one inch groups with the 100 grain NP loads and 1 1/2" with the Norma Oryx loads I had on hand. Loaded some purpose built ones last weekend but I won't have a chance to get back out to the range for a bit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With the scope. A 4x32 IOR with the #4 German reticle.

[Linked Image]
That is an absolute beauty. Swedish 96 Mauser??

drover
Originally Posted by drover
That is an absolute beauty. Swedish 96 Mauser??

drover

Hatari had 4 of them and he thought this was a good one to work with, or perhaps just one he didn't have plans for. grin A 1943 one. Here's what we started with.

[Linked Image]
Sorry I wasn't clear on my question, what I was asking was it a Swedish model 96 Mauser. I expect that it probably is but was just curious since you didn't include that in your post.
Regardless it is a fine looking rifle.

drover
Posted By: EdM Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/07/19
I own a couple FN commercials (30-06, 9.3x62), a couple of Walther Model B's (7x57, 8x57), an Erfurt (8x57), a couple 1909 Argentines (30-06's) and my favorite below. A 7x57 built on a M96. The metal work is by Jim Wisner and the wood by Dean Zollinger. Note the front scope base integral to the quarter rib and the G33/40 cut. Missing a shot with the scope mounted in the perfectly timed QD rings Jim made.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sorry I wasn't clear on my question, what I was asking was it a Swedish model 96 Mauser. I expect that it probably is but was just curious since you didn't include that in your post.

drover

Ah. Yes, Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Aktiebolag 1943 Swedish Mauser
I saw Pugs' new rifle in the flesh on Sunday and it is one very lively feeling rifle in the hand. Those pics just don't do it 100% justice.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I saw Pugs' new rifle in the flesh on Sunday and it is one very lively feeling rifle in the hand. Those pics just don't do it 100% justice.

You'll note I hid the gun safe combo from you. grin We need to get out to the range together next month and a beer after.
Well, he was English, after all!

WDM Bell was Scottish.

The Lee Enfield excells in two areas; the abilty to close on a round which is difficult to chamber and the ability to close on a round fed in ahead of the extractor.
Apart from that, I would have to disagree with the reliability claims.

The Lee Enfields Bell used showed a distinct advantage over his Rigby mausers and his Mannlichers in the dirtiest conditions.

His .303s kept working in conditions under which those other bolt rifles would fail him.

Pugs,

Is that rust blued or a satin blue?
Posted By: Pugs Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/08/19
Originally Posted by bt8897
Pugs,

Is that rust blued or a satin blue?

Satin blue - figured that was most appropriate
Originally Posted by Pugs

drover

Ah. Yes, Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Aktiebolag 1943 Swedish Mauser

Looks like we cross-posted.

Thanks, I thought it probably was.

drover
None of these Rifles meet Big Sticks approval or standards.

He has after all.
" Shot it all, and then some"............

laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

You'll note I hid the gun safe combo from you. grin We need to get out to the range together next month and a beer after.

You're on!
I posted these elsewhere on the fire but this seems to be the thread it really belongs in.

Mauser 96 not a 98 (traded Hatari a bottle of bourbon for the action and bottom metal though so why split hairs) grin 6.5x55 Off to Mark Penrod. Ed LaPour 3 position safety, Hopewell 1-8" 3 groove barrel, NEGC iron sights, lots of metal smoothing and cleaning up by Mark, he couldn't really sweep the bolt much with the new safety but it's a little. Tally detachable rings. I don't really see using the iron sights much but a Mannlicher looks silly without the. Wenigs did the stock. Stock has a surprising amount of palm swell that I happen to like.

Took about 2 years all told but a really nice custom rifle for less than many factory semi-customs. I can't say enough good about Mark. Superb communication (all these pics are his) and great discussions about options and what the overall cost I was looking for in a hunting rifle for the rest of my life. There's a reason he's got a wait.

Delivered sub one inch groups with the 100 grain NP loads and 1 1/2" with the Norma Oryx loads I had on hand. Loaded some purpose built ones last weekend but I won't have a chance to get back out to the range for a bit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With the scope. A 4x32 IOR with the #4 German reticle.

[Linked Image]

HO-LEE SMOKES! I think I’ll have to drop you a line and get some more details and specifics on this. It’s PERFECT! I might change a few small details to my own liking, but that, right there, is a gorgeous rifle! I’m a fan of the 6.5 Swede, but a 7x57 would be nice as well. Hmm...

I’ll have to shoot you a PM here in a bit!
.... Altered bolt handles are mandatory, of course, as are safeties ...GD

Why are such changes mandatory?

some of the best Mauser shops across the globe are still turning out new rifles for customers with original spec.
Oberndorf bolt handles and Mauser shroud safety.

if I had my time again with throwing heavy money at custom mausers, I would stay with what I just mentioned.
but At the time I got sold on the over-rated bullCHITT popular modern changes that are all the rage with some folk.
I was told Blackburn did the metal and Gary Goudy did the stock. I met Gary a few years back at the Vegas show. He remembered the rifle.
Three 7x57s, one '06, two 257Rs. (Plus a Montana actioned .257, a Dakota .250-3000, and a pre-64 M70 '06, as 98 derivatives.)
[Linked Image]
Have a few. These aren't all of 'em, but most, and there's another in progress:

From top, .243 Winchester on a Mexican action, probably made in the 1960's judging from the styling. No clue about who made it, but they did great work, and the rifle shoots tiny groups.

6.5x55 on an FN commercial action, with Dave Gentry 3-position safety, and Lilja 1-8 barrel installed by Charlie Sisk. I did the stock, which is New Zealand-grown European walnut.

8x57 on a military action with no markings. An older German custom rifle, with light geometric engraving.

.338 Winchester Magnum on FN commercial action, with a Sako barrel and Bansner High-Tech stock--also with a Gentry safety.

.375 H&H, on a Whitworth barreled action. Found it in a cheap synthetic stock at Capital Sports almost 20 years ago. Shortened the barrel to 22" and had D'Arcy Echols install NECG express sights, and Dave Gentry install another of his safeties. The stock is a Boyds plain-grade walnut that I modified to fit me, then finished and checkered.

[Linked Image]
Nope.

Hint...…………...
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have a few. These aren't all of 'em, but most, and there's another in progress:

From top, .243 Winchester on a Mexican action, probably made in the 1960's judging from the styling. No clue about who made it, but they did great work, and the rifle shoots tiny groups.

6.5x55 on an FN commercial action, with Dave Gentry 3-position safety, and Lilja 1-8 barrel installed by Charlie Sisk. I did the stock, which is New Zealand-grown European walnut.

8x57 on a military action with no markings. An older German custom rifle, with light geometric engraving.

.338 Winchester Magnum on FN commercial action, with a Sako barrel and Bansner High-Tech stock--also with a Gentry safety.

.375 H&H, on a Whitworth barreled action. Found it in a cheap synthetic stock at Capital Sports almost 20 years ago. Shortened the barrel to 22" and had D'Arcy Echols install NECG express sights, and Dave Gentry install another of his safeties. The stock is a Boyds plain-grade walnut that I modified to fit me, then finished and checkered.

[Linked Image]

Mule Deer,I like the .243,6.5x55 and the .375 H&H. smile
No pure Mausers any more. Had one in what I think was a McMillan and sold it, unfired by me.

My 6.5-06AI is built on an Interarms Mark X (Zavasta) action, Boyd stock, Krieger barrel and Timney trigger. Awesome shooter but purpose-built heavy for long range.
Bunches of '98 derivatives in the safe (Ruger M77/MKII/Hawkeye).
Mauser copy...
[Linked Image]
The Model 70 is far from a Mauser copy. It has a long extractor and two forward lugs. Apart from that, it's no more a Mauser copy than are any other actions with these attributes. The list of differences is much greater than the list of similarities (of which there are the two mentioned).
Originally Posted by Starman
.... Altered bolt handles are mandatory, of course, as are safeties ...GD

Why are such changes mandatory?

some of the best Mauser shops across the globe are still turning out new rifles for customers with original spec.
Oberndorf bolt handles and Mauser shroud safety.

if I had my time again with throwing heavy money at custom mausers, I would stay with what I just mentioned.
but At the time I got sold on the over-rated bullCHITT popular modern changes that are all the rage with some folk.

The original bolt handle sticks straight out to the side and is awkward to use. It will not, of course, clear a scope. At best, the handle is no more than bent down and will clear only a very high mounted scope.
The original bolt sleeve safety is just fine and is really perfect as a safety; unless you want to use a scope. I like Beuhler-type replacement safeties just fine (on the left side, mind you) although one loses the intermediate position. Those turning out "original spec" Mausers are still building modern hunting rifles which can mount a scope. The Model-70 type safeties are OK and I have one on my Whelen but I actually like the Buehler better in use.
The fact that Big Stick is not a fan is a pretty strong endorsement for the Mauser. GD
Posted By: WTF Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/10/19
elk, what round is that Mauser copy chambered for ?
.270 Winchester
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

30 Gibbs?
Yes.
Posted By: BMR Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/11/19
I've got a couple '98 Mausers, both of which I've killed deer with.

1909 7.65x53 DWM Argentine Mauser

[Linked Image]

98/29 BRNO 7.92x57 Persian Mauser

[Linked Image]
Sweet! smile
Originally Posted by BMR
I've got a couple '98 Mausers, both of which I've killed deer with.

1909 7.65x53 DWM Argentine Mauser

[Linked Image]

98/29 BRNO 7.92x57 Persian Mauser

[Linked Image]

Bet those things are slick.

DF
Posted By: BMR Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/11/19
Thanks, guys. The fit and finish on these rifles is impeccable and I'm pretty sure both were unissued when I bought them. The 8mm Persian will shoot sub 1.5" groups, if I can make out the front sight, with S&B 196 gr soft points, which I've clocked at 2622 fps. The 7.65 Arg will shoot PPU 180 gr SPs at 2567 fps, right in there with the same weight bullet out of a factory .308 load. Guess those long 29" barrels really help! I've got dies and bullets for both, so just need to get around to doing some reloading for them. If anyone has any load data for 180 gr 7.65 Arg, I'd really appreciate it.
Not surprising that the fit and finish is impeccable,they were made in a time of quality and pride IMO.

I'm sure those loads just knock the snot out the deer. wink
I just finished refurbing an old 98 I've had for a while. I thought I had a photo of it as I originally received it, but I do not. Just as well, because it was hideous, with an oddly bent bolt handle that was ugly beyond description. The rifle was built on a BRNO action, supposedly a VZ-24 (I cannot find that marking anywhere on it). It came to me with a Bold trigger installed, a military 98 safety, an Adams & Bennet barrel, a Fajen synthetic stock, finisshed with flat black Dura-Coat and chambered in .280 Remington. Despite the cheap barrel, it has been quite a good shooter, often delivering 5-shot MOA groups. I disliked the original Mauser safety right off the bat and replaced it with a 2-position M70 type. A bit later I outfitted it with an Interarms Mark X bolt body, and it stayed in this state for a number of years.

A couple of months ago I was looking the rifle over and decided the old Dura-Coat finish had gotten ratty, so I decided to refinish it using Moly Resin...the stuff has given me some nice results and seems to be pretty tough. Then I decided the cheap Fajen stock was ugly and had to go, so I acquired a B&C Medlaist to use in its place. As I thought more about it I considered a 3-position M70 safety, but they're pricey so I was going to refinish the 2-position safety and use it some more. Then one day a couple of weeks ago I just happened to see Midway selling the Dakota 3-position safety for $115 and I ordered one before I could change my mind.

So now, all that is original to the rifle as I purchased it (from a guy who builds cheap rifles in Nevada) is the barreled action and the trigger. A few afternoons of work got me results I like, and the rifle now looks like this:

[Linked Image]

Then I put the scope back on, and it looks like this:

[Linked Image]

I think I'm going to have to let my Super Grade in .280 rest a while and put this one back to work!
R R

What chambering ?

Did I miss that ?

Jerry

edit: OOPS, I forgot >>> NICE !!
Thanks, Jerry.

I wish I was a better photographer, but I guess a guy is going to be limited using a phone for taking photos. Being too lazy to set up good lighting makes for limitations too.

Oh, yeah...I forgot to mention the trigger guard. The rifle originally had a military trigger guard, so I replaced with with a unit with a hinged floorplate.

Now I have around $900 in a rifle I might be able to pull $550 out of...which bugs me a bit, but I didn't fix this rifle up to sell. I fixed it up to use and enjoy!

ETA: It's a .280
Sweet looking rifle RR!
Thank you, sir.

I sure wish I had a photo of it the day I got it. The only way it could have been made any uglier would have been to put it in one of those ATI stocks. Mighta done wonders for me in terms of weight loss.
I believe you that it was uglier than nancy pelosi on any night.

What does it weigh now?
I wish you hadn't asked, because I would never have guess it weighs 9.3 pounds with scope!
WOW! That is a bit heavy for a .280 Rem. Them B&C stocks a a bit heavy in my opinion.

Are you going to put on a lighter stock or leave it as is?
As it sits now it will sit for a long, long time.

I'm not sure the scale I used is all that accurate. The rifle just does not feel that heavy to me. I could tote that one around for a while without issue.
RR,this is my Interterms Mark X .22/6mm as is in the picture it weighs 11 lbs!
[Linked Image]

We all make mistakes. wink
Originally Posted by RiverRider
As it sits now it will sit for a long, long time.

I'm not sure the scale I used is all that accurate. The rifle just does not feel that heavy to me. I could tote that one around for a while without issue.

Balance is perfect then.
RR,this is my Interterms Mark X .22/6mm as is in the picture it weighs 11 lbs!

We all make mistakes. wink

Cool rifle. With the bipod and all that extra barrel, I'm not too surprised! Is that a 26-inch or 28-inch?
26" barrel. It was a .338/06 and I had the barrel maker duplicate the contour. Going from .338" to .224" adds quite a bit of weight. wink
R R

I was 'guessing' that from the way you said,

"I think I'm going to have to let my Super Grade in .280 rest a while and put this one back to work! "

However 'assuming' can be dangerous.

Thnx

Jerry
Interarms Mark X .35 Whelen

[Linked Image]
I'd post photos of two other rifles of the 98 Mauser persuasion, but they're really not visually different from the one I just dressed up.

One is a .35 Whelen built by a fellow who used the moniker "stormylouie" on Gunbroker. I think he's in Ohio somewhere. When I bought it, the rifle was much like the .280 was when I bought it, except that the bolt handle had not been uglified. It did come with a military trigger, though. I can't recall what the stock was. It may have been Butler Creek but I'm not sure. Barrel is Adams & Bennett. This one got a B&C Medalist, a Gentry 3-position M70 type safety, and a Timney. It also received a trigger guard upgrade, and on this one I learned about removing the boss on the back side of the magazine box---after the front guard screw sheared about four rounds after the change. This rifle was blued nicely as received and I have not messed with the finish. It shoots okay, around MOA for three rounds as far as I know. I haven't shot it much at all...it was for hunting black bear in Arkansas and it got carried a couple of times but we never saw a damned thing to shoot at so we quit going. I keep the rifle with the idea in mind that I might have an opportunity to kill a really big hog with it someday.

The third rifle built on a 98 action is my Mark X, chambered in 6mm-284. I swapped into this rifle about eight years ago, I guess. When I got it, it was wearing one of the old B&C stocks with the built-in sling mount (that stock is for sale, BTW). I think the barrel is the original barrel and was probably a .243 W at one time, but there are NO markings on the barrel and I cannot be sure. The underside of the barrel has the holes which were once used to attach a rear sight. I decided I wanted a B&C Medalist for this one, too. The original Mark X trigger was not really bad, but I removed it (it's available too) and installed a Timney. The rifle shoots pretty well and seems to like 70-grain Ballistic Tips.

I do like my 98 Mausers---or at least the rifles that can be made out of them. I think I like Model 70s better, but the 98s got NO flies on em!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
What am I lookin at there? It's a hansum debbil...and I think it has a big "W" on it somewhere.
looks like Dakota 76 to me
There is a Mauser 98 in 35 Whelen in a synthetic stock on Gunbroker right now. It has not been bid on yet, starts at $350! 24" bbl and has a Timney trigger with a scope (looks like an old Buehler) friendly safety. He does Layaway too! I'm set or I would have jumped on it. Somebody NEEDS to buy that thing. Search for Mauser 98 35 whelen
What am I lookin at there? It's a hansum debbil...and I think it has a big "W" on it somewhere.

Dakota M 76.

Correct Bt8897.
I guess there's a big "W" on my teeshirt this evening. Meaning, WRONG!

LOL

I wear it a lot. It needs to be washed.

laugh

We all do. wink
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
There is a Mauser 98 in 35 Whelen in a synthetic stock on Gunbroker right now. It has not been bid on yet, starts at $350! 24" bbl and has a Timney trigger with a scope (looks like an old Buehler) friendly safety. He does Layaway too! I'm set or I would have jumped on it. Somebody NEEDS to buy that thing. Search for Mauser 98 35 whelen

SHUT UP!!

FALL DOWN & BREAK YOUR FINGERS........... laugh laugh

I don't need to hear/read that.

Your Friend
Jerry
Buy it Jerry. wink

The rifle just does not feel that heavy to me. I could tote that one around for a while without issue.

My 70 Black Shadow 300 WM comes in +/- 8.5 # and does NOT feel like it. BALANCE is the key, IMO

Jerry
Buy it Jerry. wink

You A Lot A Help !! whistle grin

Jerry
Buy it Jerry. wink

You A Lot A Help !! whistle grin

Jerry

It's why I'm here,to help. wink
NO, you are an ENABLER, pure and simple.>>> grin

Jerry
Sure,I enable you to buy good firearms. wink
I'm so VERY GLAD to have at least ONE C R F mauser.....

[Linked Image]

For our aggressive, vengeful, carnivore Whitetail deer. laugh

Jerry

edit: Good Night Fellas --- tomorrow's Mother's Day.
Mauser 98 fan? Certainly not me. Much more stylish & equally capable stuff available today.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Mauser 98 fan? Certainly not me. Much more stylish & equally capable stuff available today.

Once again you are in a minority here and not only on this subject.

American freedom. You have the right to be wrong.

Jerry

Different strokes for different folks.
Said in faint but very audible whisper....."Buy it Jerry"!!! smile
Interarms Mark X .35 Whelen

[Linked Image]

Nice looking Whelen!

Buy it Jerry.

It has your name on it Jerry.

It's calling for you Jerry.

smile
I've got some 1908 Brazilian dwm's in 7x57, some 1909 argentines with their nice hinged floorplates, a 1939 steyr built 8x57, and a few other military ones. Most of what I have are commercial fn 98s like JC Higgins 50's and 51's and NATO arms 60s and colt 57's IIRC. I went through a little mauser phase.

I keep the mausers around just to have a few. Most of the guns I use are stainless synthetic 700's and clones.

Bb
Four M98s in the pile. A 1939 K98 that I made into a deer rifle years ago. Fajen semi-finished walnut stock,that had gathered dust for years, before I finally put it to use. Buehler, Timney and now a 20" original barrel, re-crowned. Light for a M98 and accurate. Most accurate load I've ever worked up for it over the years, are 125gr Hornady spire points, of all things. And they kill deer pretty damn well.

A VZ 24 in mostly original condition. Both it and the K98 are still in 8x57. Both were WWII bring backs. The VZ belonged to my dad, picked it up within several weeks of VE Day in northern Germany

Also have a small ring M98 Danzig 8x57, already sporterized, but needs work. Should've made that into a .257 years ago, when an old gunsmith amigo wanted to do it for me. He's gone now.

And a Columbian Army FN, that was originally in 30-06. Same 'smith put a medium heavy Douglass SS 25-06 barrel on that action for me, back in the early 80s. It's a jewel, but too hefty to tote around much. Fajen laminated varminter stock. That one's taken over a dozen deer, some out to 500 yards.

Beautiful rifles in this thread and I never tire of admiring M98 Mausers.
Posted By: jpb Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/12/19

I have a 1982 Model 70 FWT. It is a push feed. Its virtue, for me, is its classic style. Whatever it may lack in the eyes of truly discerning rifle lovers has no bearing on its capability to put 5 rounds into one ragged hole. No bearing on its "kill-ability". Being chambered in 308 in no way limits its range. Being fitted with a McMillan Edge increases its balance & portability.

It sits proudly on the front line of my safe in good company, Wby Mk V on the left & Sako 85 on the right. What's not to like?

You might want to do a bit more research. The push feed Model 70's ability to handle gas sure isn't something to like!

Do a search to see what Mule Deer, greydog and some others have said here about this particular action.

Better yet, read what Ludwig Olson said in his book Mauser Rifles, or Jerry Kuhnhausen in his book The Mauser Bolt Actions. Easy to find on Amazon.

The push feed Win Model 70 is WAY down on the list of modern actions regarding protecting your eyes and face.

But yes, your push feed Model 70 featherweight is stylish. I honestly do like the looks of them very much, but I'd rather have an action that better protects the shooter, like a real Mauser.

Not trying to pick a fight, but you are barking up the wrong tree with regards to the Win Mod 70 push feed and its capabilities.

Cheers,
John
JPB & Jerry,
I appreciate your difference in opinion & your willingness to educate. I am under no delusion considering the 70 & its lesser safety margins. I still like the gun in 308. It’s the only one I will own.

It’s acceptable that I don’t care for M98’s. Did not aim to imply the 70 is equal to the 98. I know it surely lacks in comparison.

Buy it Jerry.
It has your name on it Jerry.
It's calling for you Jerry.
smile

grin grin

Seriously, I had a 35 Whelen for a few years and killed multiple WT with it.
I had it made before Remington 'adopted' the round, and I like that very much.

In another thread per WT, the Whelen is MUCH more than is needed.

For Elk - IF - I ever get to hunt them I have a 7 RM, 300 WM, & 8mm RM

SO I'm NOT that tempted. NICE TRY. whistle cool

Jerry
In your sig line it says "I choose to be OVER gunned" now a .35 Whelen according to you is "MUCH more than is needed." wink

So,a .35 Whelen would make a nice addition to your 7 RM,.300 WM and 8mm RM. wink

Darn, too bad I already have one!
In your sig line it says "I choose to be OVER gunned" now a .35 Whelen according to you is "MUCH more than is needed." wink

So,a .35 Whelen would make a nice addition to your 7 RM,.300 WM and 8mm RM. wink

YOU are going on IGNORE !!! whistle

Not. laugh

Jerry
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Nope.

Hint...…………...

Mikey don't like nothin.........

YOU are going on IGNORE !!! whistle

Not. laugh

Jerry

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[quote=elkhunternm][Linked Image]

POT bellied............. like it's owner! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

rof

Jerry
Laugh it up fuzzball! laugh

OH ! I see now......that is your TRUCK immediately left of the rifle !! So Sorry whistle
grin grin

Ken if we can't have fun with our friends........

Jerry
I think an old Mauser is superior to just about anything made today except in the weight category. If I want a truly light rifle, I use something else. That said, I’ve got a Husqvarna 30-06 in a Basner that is pretty svelte.

I love Mausers. I’ve got about ten of them I think. Maybe more.

OH ! I see now......that is your TRUCK immediately left of the rifle !! So Sorry whistle
grin grin

Ken if we can't have fun with our friends........

Jerry

I know. smile

Just wait Jerry,I'll have some fun at your expense. wink
Barely 4 hours left on that Mauser on Gunbroker! No one has been bidding...starts out at $350!
[Linked Image]
I have had a few of the CZ 550s, nice rifles. The 416 Rigby I owned was very easy to handle/shoot, wouldn't want it lighter. I bought my SIL of German heritage ( his grandfather fought the Nazis with Marshal Tito in Yugoslavia, then he immigrated) a CZ 550FS 9.3x62. I even had a scope with the German #4 reticle on it.

Someone did buy that Mauser Whelen on GB! I hope they enjoy it, looked like a good rig.
1) CZ 527 223 with 4X Leupold.
2)HVA Highpower 30/06 with FN action and 4X Weaver
3) 1957 Browning Safari 30/06 FN Action with 3-9 Stryka Scope(Bro-In-Law loaner) cool
4) Brno 21 7X57
5)Whitworth 375HH in Brown Precision with 2-7 Leupold
6)Whitworth Express 458 Win with express sights -African PH Rifle
7)Flaig's FN Action 458 Win with Bohler Ferlach Oval contour barrel and rib in laminated stock.
8) Custom Jay Frazier 1926 Mexican Mauser 6.5X55 with Kahles 3-10 scope.

Barely 4 hours left on that Mauser on Gunbroker! No one has been bidding...starts out at $350!

Sold ?? Who bought it ? (not me)

Jerry
Some guy named "Marine1". $350!
Hell yes a Mauser fan here, let me see if I can remember them all.

'09 DWM 6.5x55
'09 DWM 7x57
BRNO 358 Norma
Heym 9.3-62
Dumoulin-Herstal 400 Whelen
BRNO 416 Taylor
Karab B 458
Browning Safari 458

I love those rifles, they're all like lunchmeat, ALWAYS ready.
That Browning Safari .458 sounds interesting,Gunner. More info please.
Originally Posted by gunner500

'09 DWM 6.5x55
'09 DWM 7x57
BRNO 358 Norma
Heym 9.3-62
BRNO 416 Taylor
Karab B 458
Browning Safari 458

How about some pic's of your "09 DWM rifles. Would love to see them.
I have a couple. The .35 Whelen gets the most use, I had a Gentry 3-position safety put on it as I use mostly rifles with that setup. I still want to get a lightweight .30-06 M-98. Probably a Husky or a Parker Hale. I put Tupperware stocks on the .243 and .35 Whelen. I have the wood stocks also. I am inlettinng the .308 Norma into a Choate stock at the moment.

MAUSER 98 RIFLES -- 2019 -- PURE 98'S ONLY
.243 WIN M98 KAR, 2-7X32 WEAVER-SLING-CUFF, X-STOCK, 22" BBL
7X61 S&H M98 FN-C; 6-18X40 REDFIELD, 26" BBL
.308 NORMA MAG M98 FN-C, 3-9X40 L-IRONS-SLING, CUFF, 24" BBL
.35 WHELEN M98 FN-MIL, 2-7 LX2C-IRONS-PEEP-SLING-CUFF, X-STOCK 22" BBL

Sold ?? Who bought it ? (not me)

REDUX

Jerry

I'll fire ya off a couple cell pics Elk, iirc it's a 1961 year model, long extractor, no salt lightweight thumper that shoots 500gr Partitions like a varmint rifle at 2150 fps, you can carry in Africa all day, the next time I go, so will it. smile
Originally Posted by 1911a1

'09 DWM 6.5x55
'09 DWM 7x57
BRNO 358 Norma
Heym 9.3-62
BRNO 416 Taylor
Karab B 458
Browning Safari 458

1911A1, pm me a cell number and i'll fire you off some pics too.

I'll fire ya off a couple cell pics Elk, iirc it's a 1961 year model, long extractor, no salt lightweight thumper that shoots 500gr Partitions like a varmint rifle at 2150 fps you can carry in Africa all day, the next time I go, so will it. smile

Ok,will be waiting,Gunner.
Coming to ya big Buddy. cool
Got them and that is one sweet Browning Safari .458! smile smile
Thanks Elk, she's an old butt stomping stoner on whatever you hit with it, I knocked a pig into the others he was walking with, they scattered like bowling pins and were gone! grin
Not surprising considering you're using a thumb size slug for an itty bitty porker. wink grin
Some guy named "Marine1". $350!

SORRY Jim, I missed this earlier.
Thnx !

Great buy IF it’s a shooter.

Jerry
Not surprising considering you're using a thumb size slug for an itty bitty porker. wink grin

LOL, you bet Elk, that was my old 500gr Woodleigh load, the damn brush, leaves, dirt and debris made a hell of a chit cloud on the ground after that slug penetrated the pig, they were already nervous and spooled up coming in very cautiously, the BOOM sent them into full flight. grin cept for one ; ]
What is your opinion of the 500 grain Woodleigh,Gunner?
What is your opinion of the 500 grain Woodleigh,Gunner?

I was shooting the 500gr PP's, it's a protected point bullet that expands slower than the big bulbous headed round noses, never hit anything big with them, but would use on any African game save Ele brain shots, got a deal on a chit ton of 500gr Partitions, they should be that and then some, coupled with the 450gr BBW #13 solids at 2250 fps, and the squishy overdriven 350gr Woodleigh BPE bullets at 2600 should cover anything in Africa, including knocking the spots off a leopard.
Gunner,the 500 gr PP's are the one's I'm want to try and Thank You!
Yo most welcome Buddy.
BTW, I use H-335 for it and the partition for an easy 2150 fps without massive compression.

'09 DWM 6.5x55
'09 DWM 7x57
BRNO 358 Norma
Heym 9.3-62
BRNO 416 Taylor
Karab B 458
Browning Safari 458

Great looking rifles!
How about you dudes posting some of those back and forth pictures.

Plenty of rifle voyeurs out here.. wink

DF

'09 DWM 6.5x55
'09 DWM 7x57
BRNO 358 Norma
Heym 9.3-62
BRNO 416 Taylor
Karab B 458
Browning Safari 458

Great looking rifles!

Thank You Sir! smile
How about you dudes posting some of those back and forth pictures.

Plenty of rifle voyeurs out here.. wink

DF

Above my pay grade DF, I can send a cell pic with my old flipper. grin
Gunner sent them by text message and I have no clue as to how to post them here.
Gunner sent them by text message and I have no clue as to how to post them here.

?Maybe I can help? If your phone will COPY your text ?

My i phone will "take a pic" of the text by.... pressing and holding the TOP button & the Bottom Center button OF the phone ** at the same time.***

It will CLICK and you can hear it. Then GO to you PIX (photo album on the phone) Your text pic SHOULD be there.
Then proceed as usual.

Hope that helps.

Jerry
Elks

PM sent

Jerry
PM’s sent to you digital gurus with my email address. Send me those pictures you guys are texting back and forth and I’ll post them. Assuming decent photo quality.

Ha!

DF
'09 Argentine in 280. It had a issue with primers backing out and miss drilled rear mounting holes and the rear receiver height was wrong. I sent to to Jim Kobe to address this and decided to update some cosmetic things. Also ended up having the wrong Timney trigger in it. It had excessive headspace thank goodness instead of lug set back. I need to repaint the Brown precision stock. I have not finished load development but it is showing promise. I need to pony up for a matte finish scope.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PM’s sent to you digital gurus with my email address. Send me those pictures you guys are texting back and forth and I’ll post them. Assuming decent photo quality.

Ha!

DF

Sent them to you a few minutes ago,DF.

1911a1,that is sweet!
Elks

PM sent

Jerry

10/4 Elks

Jerry
Here's Elk's Mauser photos that I downloaded and put on Imgur. Not sure why one is smaller than the other. (my digital prowess or lack there of...)

Got to thinking about gunner and Elk's digital prowess, came to the conclusion that ole Billy Dixon probably wasn't much of a digital guru, but he COULD shoot.. laugh

Case closed.

Nice rifle. BTW. Wonder how many jackwabbit's it's wasted...? shocked

DF

.[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
ttt
LMAO DF, the only thing that rifle has killed since I've owned it is a pig at 20 yards, I could send it to Elk to smoke some jacks with it if he wants. cool
I'd love to do that,but you won't get the rifle back. wink
LOL, I was about to ask if you wanted me to send the rest of that bag of Woodleighs or do you need the new load with Partitions, I best not ask! blush laugh
Yeah,don't ask. wink

Gunner,UPDATE TO A NEW PHONE!!! smile
LOL, 10-4 on the new cell, my flippers on it's last legs, I'm chitcanned when it goes, Wifes been trying to give me her I-Phone6? for two damn years now. crazy
My wife got me an latest smart phone for Christmas and I use about 1% of what's on it. wink
Yes, I just need to say hello, goodbye and send pics of guns and dead animals. smile
My wife got me an latest smart phone for Christmas and I use about 1% of what's on it. wink

Yep, those phones are a lot smarter than the users.

Gunner's wifey has been trying to get him into the 21st century as long as it's been 21st century.

Looking at some of his ordinance, I'm not sure he's out of the 19th century... blush

That girl has a challenge, don't ya know.... cry

DF

Gunner's wifey has been trying to get him into the 21st century as long as it's been 21st century.

Looking at some of his ordinance, I'm not sure he's out of the 19th century... blush

DF

She just keeps polishing that lump of coal trying to get it to shine, poor, poor patient Girl! blush laugh
Yes, I just need to say hello, goodbye and send pics of guns and dead animals. smile

Take that IPhone 6 from your dear wife buddy. It’s pretty danged easy to use, takes great pictures and if you throw it into an Otter Box it’s a pretty rugged piece of kit. Plus, I’m not sure if you run mapping software but using OnX Maps on your phone is damned handy.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Take that IPhone 6 from your dear wife buddy. It’s pretty danged easy to use, takes great pictures and if you throw it into an Otter Box it’s a pretty rugged piece of kit. Plus, I’m not sure if you run mapping software but using OnX Maps on your phone is damned handy.

+ 1 + 1 + 1

Today there's no excuse for not taking pix of anything interesting and/or important.

I've actually deleted quite a few from Photo pukit, too close to being redundant.

I only WISH I'd had a GOOD phone cam in years gone by. There will be 'REGERTS' grin.

Jerry

DF

Gunner may join the 21st century in about 81 years. wink

Yeah,I think Gunner was born about 150-200 years too late.

Initially I was a bit skeptical about the iPhone 6, but after getting one and using it a while, they are a lot simpler than a fold phone. Much more user friendly.

Go for it gunner. You won’t regret it, will be glad you did.

DF

+ 1 + 1 + 1

Today there's no excuse for not taking pix of anything interesting and/or important.

I've actually deleted quite a few from Photo pukit, too close to being redundant.

I only WISH I'd had a GOOD phone cam in years gone by. There will be 'REGERTS' grin.

Jerry

Thanks for the advice and faith in my i.t. abilities Gents, it may be a long hard road. smile

DF

Gunner may join the 21st century in about 81 years. wink

Yeah,I think Gunner was born about 150-200 years too late.

I'm running late, but don't break that plate, I'm washing up and headed to the kitchen as fast as I can. grin
I guess that I qualify as a Mauser 98 fan. Three of the four center-fire rifles that I currently own are Mauser 98 actions, and the fourth is a pre-64 Model 70, a Mauser stepson. My daughter that hunts and shoots has a Mexican Mauser that I built for her, and three of the grandsons have rifles with Mauser 98 actions that I built for them. My son-in-law also has a custom rifle that I gave to him, also built on a 98 action.

Like the Ronnie Millsap song, I guess that I am lost in the 50s. grin
Originally Posted by mudhen
I guess that I qualify as a Mauser 98 fan. Three of the four center-fire rifles that I currently own are Mauser 98 actions, and the fourth is a pre-64 Model 70, a Mauser stepson. My daughter that hunts and shoots has a Mexican Mauser that I built for her, and three of the grandsons have rifles with Mauser 98 actions that I built for them. My son-in-law also has a custom rifle that I gave to him, also built on a 98 action.

Like the Ronnie Millsap song, I guess that I am lost in the 50s. grin

Not a bad place & time to be.
SAD, SAD, How SORRY things have gotten in TWENTY (20) years.

I’m really lost in the 60s.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Starman
The Mauser 98 is the BEST action for a rough-use hunting rifle. Having said this, it's important to point out that most changes detract from its utility...

WDM Bell found that in terms of reliability-function in harsh hunting conditions the Lee Enfields he had distinctly out- performed Mausers
and other European rifles like the Mannlichers in his collection. ...worst were the fancy prima donna SxS rifles.

His knowledge/experience with the Lee and Mauser also came from his combat service, Boer War and WW1.

Largely due to extensively field proven ruggedness and reliability, he purposely chose the military Lee and Mauser
for his commercial exploit ventures in Africa.

In the worst hunting conditions, the Lee Enfield proved the most reliable.

I will venture to make corrections to this - WDM Bell wrote that he disliked the military Lee Enfield action, that was not as well finished as the Mauser or the Springfield, but that it's 'rattletrap' bolt never failed except when he made a mistake and loaded the cartridges with the rims overlapping.

He was undeniably a Mauser fan.

After his first safari he used Mauser rifles almost exclusively, in chamberings ranging from .22 hipower up to .350 Magnum and .416 Rigby. (Apart from a double .45/400 which he used briefly, a double .318 Westerly Richards from Thomas Bland, and a rifle (probably a Savage 99 take down) in .22 Hipower.)

He was familiar with the Lee Metford rifle from his stint in the army during the Boer war as a young man, and started his elephant shooting with 2 sporting Lee Metford rifles,
He did not write anywhere that the Lee Metford / Enfield rifle outperformed or were more reliable than any other - his Mauser rifles had no failure that he wrote of, and the majority of his rifles after that were Mausers.

His most reliable rifle, which he mentioned several times, was his Mauser in 7x57 (although despite the "legend", this would not have been a Rigby made rifle at the time he was in Karamojo prior to 1907) However if greater concern to him than the rifles as far as reliability, was the ammunition. Prior to WW1 sporting ammunition was distinctly unreliable. The best ammo was German military 7x57 and British .303. But sporting ammunition was iffy. For example in his description of shooting the largest number of elephants in a day (19) he mentioned in passing that he fired 38 .318 WR cartridges and that 8 of them were misfires. He mentions this in passing, as if it were something he was just accustomed to. He faulted the primers of the sporting ammunition of the day.

(After WW1 this ammunition problem seems to have been cleared up - his primary rifles after the war were all .318 Westley Richards Mausers. (again, despite the legend of the .275 Rigby, after many years of hunting, Bell considered the .318 WR with a .330 cal 250 grain solid bullet as being more suitable for elephant.)

Yes, I travel the internet correcting misconceptions about Walter Bell the elephant hunter. It's what I do.

ummm... nevermind !

Jerry
Ha Ha, I did something new for me.
I pulled this thread/post up on my phone, enlarged it and took a pic.
Loaded it to imgur and bingo !!

Now I have my personal record .

********** That Does Work *********
Pic Deleted

Jerry
Two that followed me home quite a spell ago!

[Linked Image]

Top: 7x 57 Mauser

Bottom: 35 Whelen

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway

I will venture to make corrections to this - .....

..He did not write anywhere that the Lee Metford / Enfield rifle outperformed or were more reliable than any other

- his Mauser rifles had no failure that he wrote of,

Page nine (9) of Karamjo Safari

' I have never liked the our .303 action; it is so rough and unfinished-looking when compared with the beautiful polished products of the world famous
Springfield, Steyr or Mauser factories. But I must in fairness say that it almost never let me down. I say "almost" because there were times when
through careless loading of the magazine, a cartridge would fail to feed up to the chamber. Sometimes the nose tilted down, sometimes the magazine
failed to push the case up enough for the bolt head to catch hold. These occasions were extremely rare and luckily never happened at very awkward moments.
As for that loose fitting rattlestop bolt, nothing would stop its functioning . During the short rains when elephant are subjected to fierce sun between
heavy rain showers and flies are fierce and mud plentiful, the vegetation through which the hunter has to work his game is copiously drenched in liquid mud.
Some of this dries between showers and clouds down on your rifle action as you pass along. I have had Mauser actions with their tighter- fitting bolts
rendered almost useless through gritty mud
, while the break open double rifle under these conditions is a complete washout"

His most reliable rifle, which he mentioned several times, was his Mauser in 7x57

It is evidently clear Bell found the .303 Lee distinctly more reliable in the harsh conditions he describes.
and any [extremely rare] cartridge feeding issues he specifically attributed to human error 'careless loading'
not the Lee rifle itself.

Reliability of the Mauser was in large part attributed to its combined use with the high quality DWM ammunition.

Bell described his Frazer Mannlicher .256 bore carbine (which be obtained after his personally ordered .275 Rigby Mauser),
as his favorite rifle, until he experienced some problem with the quality of Austrian ammunition, [malfunctioning in the rifle].

quote]... - (page 94) Wanderings Of An Elephant Hunter.

"I was using at that time a very light and sweet- working Mann.-Sch. carbine, -256 bore and weighing only 5\ lb.
With this tiny and beautiful little weapon I had extraordinary luck, and I should have continued to use it in preference
to my other rifles had not its Austrian ammunition developed the serious fault of splitting at the neck. After that discovery
I reverted to my well-tried and always trusty 7 mm. Mauser."

although despite the "legend", this would not have been a Rigby made rifle at the time he was in Karamojo prior to 1907)

Can you explain why you believe It would not have been a Rigby made .275 bore rifle he used in Karamojo?

Page twenty three (23) chapter V. Karamojo - Wanderings Of An Elephant Hunter.

"And then I had my personal rifles , at that time a .303 Lee Enfield, a .275 Rigby-Mauser and a double .450-.400
and Mauser pistol which could be used as a carbine..."

Page twelve (12) Karamojo Safari.

" At the same time I got the .256. I also aquired the first rifle I had made especially for me -- a .275 ( 7mm)
Mauser by Rigby of London. It was still in the days of the round nose bullet, and luckily for me the ammo was
good, sound, reliable, German DWM stuff, powder, case, cap, and bullet. This was the hottest combination
one could have, although I knew it not at the time. Without fault or hitch ,misfire or hang fire, that little rifle
slew some eight hundred bull elephant, besides scores of buffalo, a few rhino and the occasional lion."

- Note Bell says its the first rifle he had ordered-bespokely made especially for himself , its entirely possible he
may have obtained for himself prior to that, a ready made Rigby .275 catalogue rifle, that he found available for sale.

Yes, I travel the internet correcting misconceptions about Walter Bell the elephant hunter. It's what I do.

tagged.
Page sixty two (62) Karamojo Safari

" I had besides my .275, a .303 with a ten-shot magazine.-- an excellent elephant rifle."

Page two hundred and three (203) Karamojo Safari

"In my search for the ideal weapon for my purpose , I had accumulated a number of quite good rifles.
I had a double .400 by Frazer of Edinburgh, a beautiful weapon but delicate, Then there was the .303
from the army and navy, a splendid gun with which I had killed over 200 hundred elephant."

WDM Bell, American Rifleman 1954.

"T h e . 3 0 3 B r i t i s h M a r k V I round~ nose 2l5-grain solid. The rifle has many advantages. It is light
-can be 6-3/4 pounds. Stock is bolted to action through grip and can hardly be broken, although it may work
loose and requires a very long turnscrew to tighten it. By continuous working of bolt smeared with very fine
emery powder, bolt can be brought to a fine polished performance. With its ten-shot magazine, a, very useful
hard-working and efficient rifle. Can hardly be stopped functioning by mud or sand."
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tell me what I have here! I am Mauser dumb! Picked this up in trade 36 years ago and have shot some! Throat was about shot out when I got it but for $100 whatever! 243 Winchester
Fuzzytail,
That appears to be an FN Mauser commercial action made in Belgium. The stock is a custom
Was told by a Gunsmith that it was a 1957 Stearns Mauser if that makes any sense at all. Was just curious to what I had. Been going to rebarrel to something else but other rifles got in the way. Thanks irfubar. Jere'
fuzzytail;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this 20th of May finds you well.

While I'm far from a Mauser expert, but the photos I can see that the action is a commercial one - not military - in that there's no thumb slot cut out on the left side.

The bolt shroud is a military style one however, not the commercial one found on some of the FN made rifles which had a side safety as part of the trigger. Come to think of it some of the Santa Barbara made Parker Hale rifles had a side safety too and might have had a commercial shroud.

In the top photo we can see a bit of a proof mark peaking out of the front ring. If you'd take the barreled action out of the stock and get a better photo of the proof mark it might be easier to trace it's lineage perhaps.

Anyway sir, it appears to be a serviceable arm whatever it's past might be.

Hope that was slightly useful and/or of interest. All the best to you as we head into summer.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by irfubar
Fuzzytail,
That appears to be an FN Mauser commercial action made in Belgium. The stock is a custom

irfubar;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope you're well, warm and dry in your part of the world - it would appear we may get a wee bit of rain today, but it's a mild one so we'll be fine.

As I am trying to learn a wee bit here and if you're so inclined, did the fact that it was drilled for a receiver sight tip your thoughts more to FN than Santa Barbara?

After I'd typed my response, I wasn't sure if I'd ever seen a Santa Barbara drilled like that, you know?

The bolt handle shape could sort of be either one - as could the bolt release... I think...

This older age thing has been less fun than I'd hoped it would be irfubar - the data which was once clear and accessible is now scrambled at times.

The worst of it is I know I have the answer to my own question in a book on my own book shelves - now which book it is sir, that I can't answer! cry

All the best to you as we head into warmer weather.

Dwayne
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
fuzzytail;
Thanks kindly sir.

As usual my cyber friend is correct in his naming of the action.

That is - in my opinion anyway - a fine foundation action for a serviceable hunting arm.

Thanks again.

Dwayne
Thank you BC30cal and Ifubar.
Fellow 'Fire Mauser 98 Fans;
It would appear that my on again and off again relationship with photobucket might be functioning this morning so I'll attempt a few photos.

Here's the first rifle I put together on a 98 action - it's a wartime Steyr action, no name barrel, Mark X trigger, Mark X bolt shroud, rust blued by me and the stock blank was a Bishop I think - reworked by me.
[Linked Image]

Oh, it's chambered to .308 Norma Mag and it's my good wife's hunting arm for longer hunting shots.

The second one was a mistake really in that I'd never build a short case on a Mauser action again - but that's what I had at the time so that's what I did. It's another wartime action - German but can't recall the code right now - maybe DWM? The barrel was from IT&D back in the days when we could ship such things freely across the medicine line - it's a .22-.250 AI, 26" Douglas Air Gauge Match I believe it was. Anyway it's the 1:14 twist that we all used back in the dinosaur days. Timney trigger, and a reworked Howa/S&W stock which I picked up at a gun show for $20 because it was cracked.
[Linked Image]

In the days before range finders, it accounted for a good number of local coyotes, some of which were far enough away that we - the coyote and I - were both surprised I could hit them that far out.... wink

The latest completed one is a Mauser made action with the commercial roll mark on it, so I'm thinking between the wars. Into and onto it went an FN extractor, Wolffe mainspring - come to think of it all the 98's got one of those - Timney trigger, Timney Beuhler safety, 2.7 oz bottom metal and it's into a Wildcat Custom 20oz stock. The barrel is a nearly new 96 Swede military barrel which a smith up the valley brazed an adapter/helicoil sort of thing onto so it'd screw into a large ring and of course it's a 6.5x55 with a nice snug chamber.
[Linked Image]

In the safe there's a VZ24 action with an FN '06 barrel which is going to be a Stutzen type stock for our eldest if I ever get back to it from doing reno work on her house!

We see a lot of 98 variants up here still in the field and over the years I've played with what has to be dozens of them for various friends and acquaintances. As my friend greydog said, they make great rough use hunting rifles.

Thanks for looking and for the participants in the thread. Good luck on your hunts with or without your 98's.

Dwayne
Posted By: Owl Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/20/19
Great pics Dwayne ! Thanks for sharing.

I miss your part of the world. I spent a little bit of time in Pentiction and Salmon Arm. Loved it !
Owl;
Top of the morning to you sir and thanks for the reply.

Were you in Salmon arm in the last 15 odd years?

If so, do you recall the big log house just off the highway south of Davidson's Fruit stand? Anyway that's my sister and brother in law's place.

We're just over the hill a bit from Tickleberry's - which if you were in Penticton you surely visited at least once?! grin

Thanks again and all the best to you as we head into warmer weather.

Dwayne
Fuzzytail, you are welcome.

Dwayne the pic's had all FN features, the dead giveaway was the FN stamp on the front ring was peaking out from under the stock. Mauser as you know can be tricky to identify as they made so many variations.
I am a Mauser fan myself, well a Mauser whore you be more accurate... smile Most of my Mauser's are 1909 & VZ24, I do have an FN that is very similar to fuzzytails with only the small FN stamp.

I have Mauser's in everything from 220 swift to 458W mag

I have posted pic's of my rifles in the past, so at the risk of boring everyone I will post a couple of them again.....

VZ24, 270 W.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G33/40 30-06

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
irfubar;
Thanks for the reply and doubly so for the photos.

The wood on both of them - well the overall lines too really - are in my view pretty much flawless.

The grain on the G33/40 is particularly to my taste. cool

Thanks again and all the best to you all this week.

Dwayne
Thank you Dwayne,
It is always a pleasure.... best to you also
Posted By: Quak Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/20/19
Wow...you've got great taste in rifles. Absolutely beautiful.
Posted By: Owl Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/20/19
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Owl;
Top of the morning to you sir and thanks for the reply.

Were you in Salmon arm in the last 15 odd years?

If so, do you recall the big log house just off the highway south of Davidson's Fruit stand? Anyway that's my sister and brother in law's place.

We're just over the hill a bit from Tickleberry's - which if you were in Penticton you surely visited at least once?! grin

Thanks again and all the best to you as we head into warmer weather.

Dwayne

I lived there in the early 80's Only for a few months in Penticton and Salmon Arm..

I also lived in Vanderhoof for 9 months. I absolutely love that little town.
Irfubar, a couple of very nice mausers. I never tire of looking at your rifles, all very nicely done with some quiet elegance.
I think Mauser is the safest design out there. I’ve had a complete case separation before and I only felt a light peppering in my forehead. The cocking piece caught and deflected it all.

Except for weight, I just don’t see how anything more modern in a bolt rifle is an actual improvement. Bolt action rifles were pretty much perfected in 1898. There is only so much that you can do within those design parameters and mostly, it was all done with the 98.
Posted By: Quak Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? - 05/20/19
Modern guns are an improvement in the sense they are cheaper to manufacture and dont require skilled labor to produce.

K98s and their variants are tough to beat. I prefer the VZ24 but any variant does nicely
Originally Posted by Quak
Modern guns are an improvement in the sense they are cheaper to manufacture and dont require skilled labor to produce.

K98s and their variants are tough to beat. I prefer the VZ24 but any variant does nicely

None of that is really an “improvement” as far as the user goes, except that if any company were to make even a military Mauser nowadays, they would probably cost at least two or three thousand dollars.
[quote=irfubar

VZ24, 270 W.
[Linked Image]
------------------------------------------------

That's SWEET ! !

That's my fav stock design --- altho 'some' Monte Carlos don't mess it up much.

?? To me -- it's reminiscent of a well known stock maker's work ??

Jerry
© 24hourcampfire