Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Model 70 is far from a Mauser copy. It has a long extractor and two forward lugs. Apart from that, it's no more a Mauser copy than are any other actions with these attributes. The list of differences is much greater than the list of similarities (of which there are the two mentioned).

HR IC

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by greydog
.... Altered bolt handles are mandatory, of course, as are safeties ...GD

Why are such changes mandatory?

some of the best Mauser shops across the globe are still turning out new rifles for customers with original spec.
Oberndorf bolt handles and Mauser shroud safety.

if I had my time again with throwing heavy money at custom mausers, I would stay with what I just mentioned.
but At the time I got sold on the over-rated bullCHITT popular modern changes that are all the rage with some folk.

The original bolt handle sticks straight out to the side and is awkward to use. It will not, of course, clear a scope. At best, the handle is no more than bent down and will clear only a very high mounted scope.
The original bolt sleeve safety is just fine and is really perfect as a safety; unless you want to use a scope. I like Beuhler-type replacement safeties just fine (on the left side, mind you) although one loses the intermediate position. Those turning out "original spec" Mausers are still building modern hunting rifles which can mount a scope. The Model-70 type safeties are OK and I have one on my Whelen but I actually like the Buehler better in use.
The fact that Big Stick is not a fan is a pretty strong endorsement for the Mauser. GD

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
elk, what round is that Mauser copy chambered for ?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
.270 Winchester

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
[Linked Image]

30 Gibbs?

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a couple '98 Mausers, both of which I've killed deer with.

1909 7.65x53 DWM Argentine Mauser

[Linked Image]

98/29 BRNO 7.92x57 Persian Mauser

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sweet! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BMR
I've got a couple '98 Mausers, both of which I've killed deer with.

1909 7.65x53 DWM Argentine Mauser

[Linked Image]

98/29 BRNO 7.92x57 Persian Mauser

[Linked Image]

Bet those things are slick.

DF

IC B3

BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, guys. The fit and finish on these rifles is impeccable and I'm pretty sure both were unissued when I bought them. The 8mm Persian will shoot sub 1.5" groups, if I can make out the front sight, with S&B 196 gr soft points, which I've clocked at 2622 fps. The 7.65 Arg will shoot PPU 180 gr SPs at 2567 fps, right in there with the same weight bullet out of a factory .308 load. Guess those long 29" barrels really help! I've got dies and bullets for both, so just need to get around to doing some reloading for them. If anyone has any load data for 180 gr 7.65 Arg, I'd really appreciate it.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Not surprising that the fit and finish is impeccable,they were made in a time of quality and pride IMO.

I'm sure those loads just knock the snot out the deer. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just finished refurbing an old 98 I've had for a while. I thought I had a photo of it as I originally received it, but I do not. Just as well, because it was hideous, with an oddly bent bolt handle that was ugly beyond description. The rifle was built on a BRNO action, supposedly a VZ-24 (I cannot find that marking anywhere on it). It came to me with a Bold trigger installed, a military 98 safety, an Adams & Bennet barrel, a Fajen synthetic stock, finisshed with flat black Dura-Coat and chambered in .280 Remington. Despite the cheap barrel, it has been quite a good shooter, often delivering 5-shot MOA groups. I disliked the original Mauser safety right off the bat and replaced it with a 2-position M70 type. A bit later I outfitted it with an Interarms Mark X bolt body, and it stayed in this state for a number of years.

A couple of months ago I was looking the rifle over and decided the old Dura-Coat finish had gotten ratty, so I decided to refinish it using Moly Resin...the stuff has given me some nice results and seems to be pretty tough. Then I decided the cheap Fajen stock was ugly and had to go, so I acquired a B&C Medlaist to use in its place. As I thought more about it I considered a 3-position M70 safety, but they're pricey so I was going to refinish the 2-position safety and use it some more. Then one day a couple of weeks ago I just happened to see Midway selling the Dakota 3-position safety for $115 and I ordered one before I could change my mind.

So now, all that is original to the rifle as I purchased it (from a guy who builds cheap rifles in Nevada) is the barreled action and the trigger. A few afternoons of work got me results I like, and the rifle now looks like this:

[Linked Image]

Then I put the scope back on, and it looks like this:

[Linked Image]

I think I'm going to have to let my Super Grade in .280 rest a while and put this one back to work!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
R R

What chambering ?

Did I miss that ?

Jerry

edit: OOPS, I forgot >>> NICE !!

Last edited by jwall; 05/11/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Jerry.

I wish I was a better photographer, but I guess a guy is going to be limited using a phone for taking photos. Being too lazy to set up good lighting makes for limitations too.

Oh, yeah...I forgot to mention the trigger guard. The rifle originally had a military trigger guard, so I replaced with with a unit with a hinged floorplate.

Now I have around $900 in a rifle I might be able to pull $550 out of...which bugs me a bit, but I didn't fix this rifle up to sell. I fixed it up to use and enjoy!

ETA: It's a .280

Last edited by RiverRider; 05/11/19.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sweet looking rifle RR!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you, sir.

I sure wish I had a photo of it the day I got it. The only way it could have been made any uglier would have been to put it in one of those ATI stocks. Mighta done wonders for me in terms of weight loss.

Don't be the darkness.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I believe you that it was uglier than nancy pelosi on any night.

What does it weigh now?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish you hadn't asked, because I would never have guess it weighs 9.3 pounds with scope!

Don't be the darkness.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
WOW! That is a bit heavy for a .280 Rem. Them B&C stocks a a bit heavy in my opinion.

Are you going to put on a lighter stock or leave it as is?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 35, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,369 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,264
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.