Print Thread
Hop To
S
Savuti Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Found a couple of recently intro'd revolvers that looked worthy of wringing out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Left is Charter Arms Pit Bull in 45ACP. Right is Taurus 692 in 357/9mm convertible.

Pit Bull
- Bbl length 2.5"
- mat'l carbon steel nitrided
- weight 1.43 lbs (22.9 oz)
- capacity 5
- cylinder dia. 1.615", lgth 1.585"
- sights fixed black on black
- trigger both SA and DA were off my scale (tops out @ 8 lbs) Estimate them both @ 10-11 lbs.
- price paid $430

[Linked Image]

This is my first CA purchase so I can't compare to their other products, but it's intriguing. It fits easily in the front pocket of cargo shorts.
It uses a unique method for extraction, a very small spring loaded lip sits in the ejector star just above each chamber and slips into the case extractor groove.
They may just be visible in the 2nd pic. At any rate, loading was a struggle. One must overcome the spring while finessing each round in the chamber.
Maybe I just haven't got the knack of it yet. On the plus side ejection of empties was good except for the one chamber nearest the frame, which case
would hang up on the grip, but then fall free when the extractor rod was released. Not a biggie to me as I consider this a last ditch "5 and done" pistol.
Not planning on tactical reloads.
With the trigger held back lateral cylinder play was noticeable, perhaps 1/16". End shake was estimated @ .010.

Taurus
- Bbl length 3" (ported)
- mat'l Stainless
- weight 2.06 lbs (33 oz)
- capacity 7
= cylinder dia. 1.525", lgth 1.580"
- fixed front orange insert ramp, black adjustable rear
- trigger SA 7 1/4 lbs, DA off my scale ( est. @ 10-12 lbs)
- price paid $525

[Linked Image]

At a bit over 2 lbs this is way too heavy for carry without a belt holster.
The 357 cylinder is very conventional though holding 7 rounds. The 9mm cylinder is designed to use what Taurus calls "stellar" clips holding 7
rounds each. 5 clips are included. Loading and extraction were easy with no issues encountered. Changing from one cylinder to the other was
amazingly simple. In the last pic the shiny oval in front of the trigger guard corresponds to a raised (about .065) spring loaded button on the right
side of the frame. Simply open the cylinder, depress the button and pull the cylinder assembly off towards the muzzle. Takes about 10 secs.
This is, IMHO, a game changer. A DA revolver with interchangeable cylinders that can be switched faster than a Ruger SA! Why aren't all
the major revolver makers doing this?
Lateral cylinder movement was estimated @ .005, all cylinders checked OK with an armourer's kit range rod. No end shake was detectable.
While I'm not a fan of ported barrels, I don't plan to shoot this without muffs except in an emergency.

Of course, the proof will be in the shooting. It will likely take me a while since life has gotten in the way. But I will report back after a range trip.
At 2.5 oz lighter than my Kimber ultra CDP the Pit Bull may find a place in my EDC rotation. C.A. makes a near identical gun in 41 Mag under the
Mag Pug title, but at the same weight that might be too much of a good thing. Could make a nice 41 Special though.
I see the Taurus as a good bedside gun. My side of the bed with the 357 cylinder, wife's side with the 9mm.
It would also be a great choice as a belt gun while rifle/bow hunting. But at 10 oz heavier than a 2.5" Titanium 41 mag, it rules itself out as an
EDC, at least for me down here in the land of shorts and tee shirts.
Interestingly, I could find no evidence of any internal lock on either pistol.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Liking that Taurus. Interested to hear how the shooting goes with the 9mm in the .357 bore (assumption).

Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, the Taurus is interesting.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a S&W only guy...

But I am often intrigued/tempted by the calibers and the revolvers offered by CA and Taurus.

Mainly the Big Bore lightweights.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,222
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.