Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by nealglen37
I'm thinking about living in the desert areas of NM or WY. I can tromp around in the desert in the winter, then drive 20 miles and be in the high country in the summertime. I like to get outside and amp, fish, hunt whenever possible.

I don't know where you live now or exactly what your expectations are but "tromping around the desert" in the winter in either place is not really realistic, both can be too cold and windy to do much of what you are proposing. I am basing this on having spent quite a bit of time in winter in both areas. There is a reason that so many folks retire to Arizona.

My advice to anyone who is thinking of retiring to a different locale for retirement is to spend at least a year living there before buying and settling in permanently. Even a year can fool a person though, in 2017 we had about 3 ft of snow on the ground with continuous overcast and snow all winter, the last two winters we never had more than 4 inches and most of that was intermittent. Which was normal? - Neither, usually it is somewhere in between the two extremes.

I have seen quite a few folks move to this area based on their summertime experiences here, when winter came they found out it was a whole different ball game.

Another thing to keep in mind is your health - once you get away from major metropolitan areas health care becomes a real issue.

Just some things for you to think about when you picking out your place of dreams.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Tennessee

Tennessee has a lot going for it, but no elk and such.

Actually, Tennessee does have a small, but thriving elk population.

Cool, I wondered about that after I posted. Minnesota has got a tiny elk herd, I'll never get drawn.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 05/10/19.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I plan to retire in Alaska.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Michigan, to be more precise, Drummond Island.

Although Kentucky wouldn't be bad. I could by that place next to Bristoe and he could finally skinny dip in the pond.....

Good answer. I "retired" to Northern Michigan when i was 30. The only reason it took so long was waiting for my wife to find work up here. Best move i ever made. I love the northwoods...and have never found anything else that compares for me. Oh yea...inland freshwater oceans arnt bad either.

Michigan below 10 is an absolute $hithole though.

The north country is groid free and devoid of humans for the most part. To be fair the Finns are a little odd

Funny someone mentioned elk...Michigans elk heard is doing well but it takes a while to get a tag. I have 2 friends that shot monster and i mean monster bulls in the past couple years. Hoping for one before too long myself. I get a bear tag every couple years and have always been able to get 300lb plus bears on the bait.

Last edited by Quak; 05/10/19.

GOD Bless America
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by tzone
It sure as hell won't be MN.

Of the two you listed, I'd pick WY.

You got that right!
I finished up a 39 year corporate career that had me in Minneapolis the last 30 years.
Moved to Colo a year ago.
Cut my state income tax in half. Mn has a progressive tax that punishes successful people.
Cut my real estate tax roughly in half.
Mn has a very high estate tax, Colo has none.
I do miss the long and oppressive winters and humid mosquito laden summers though.
I have many friends that were seven or eight figure earners (annually). I can easily name a dozen that retired and left Mn for more tax friendly states. That would include, Tx, Fla, Tn, Wy, Az, NM, and Colo.
Someone mentioned Colo politics, yes, they are liberal, but not nearly as bad as Mn.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm already living there but if I had to make another choice, it would be Idaho.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What Drover sez. Wyoming is a wind tunnel. That's not so bad in the summer but is hell in the winter. Drive down I80 and look at all of those trees growing sideways. Semis always flipped on their sides. There's a reason Wyoming (as big as it is) has a population of only 500,000.
And forget being a wedo coming in from out of state to New Mexico. You aint going to find many friendly faces.

Last edited by WTF; 05/10/19.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Tennessee

Number 1a on our list.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
nealglen: VERY sound advice from drover.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a place in Northern Idaho, Athol

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Quak
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Michigan, to be more precise, Drummond Island.

Although Kentucky wouldn't be bad. I could by that place next to Bristoe and he could finally skinny dip in the pond.....

Good answer. I "retired" to Northern Michigan when i was 30. The only reason it took so long was waiting for my wife to find work up here. Best move i ever made. I love the northwoods...and have never found anything else that compares for me. Oh yea...inland freshwater oceans arnt bad either.

Michigan below 10 is an absolute $hithole though.

The north country is groid free and devoid of humans for the most part. To be fair the Finns are a little odd

Funny someone mentioned elk...Michigans elk heard is doing well but it takes a while to get a tag. I have 2 friends that shot monster and i mean monster bulls in the past couple years. Hoping for one before too long myself. I get a bear tag every couple years and have always been able to get 300lb plus bears on the bait.

Dood... All Ya' all gots enough whigger methicans up there to fill the void. 😉 🤣

Just sayin...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m within 5 years of retiring now (I can go in 2 but momma has 5). Right now our sights are set on Florida but it all depends on what real estate does price wise in the next 5 years. I have got to have things to do in retirement or I’ll go stir crazy and fishing seems to be the best balance. Nice weather year round for inshore/offshore and operating costs will be low. I’ll pretty much put an end to hunting in my life though which sucks. The west is just not what I thought it would be and Colorado has so many cons for a retiree that within 6 months of living here we knew this wasn’t a place to live that was sustainable on a retirement budget. Not to mention the liberalism here is nauseating! Momma won’t go north of Colorado (hates the cold) so Idaho,Mt and WY are out. AZ and New Mexico don’t even speak English anymore. Southern Utah is home to her but there’s just not much to do there IMO, and hunting opportunities are so limited. Our plan is to take several months and travel around to a few different parts of Florida before we decide where we’ll call home.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Alaska cub,
Good plan, traveling around a while to look at the options.
Friend of mine mover to Pt Charolette Fla two years ago.
He’s now looking for a new retirement state. No hunting, and lots of bad weather in the summer.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I am 3 +years from retirement, but my work offered to let me tele-work, so I am doing it from WY!

I STONRGLY reocmmend the rent before you buy plan. That's what we are doing and it's been good so far, HUGE adjustment, but good.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The REDDEST one, already there.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Also never understood living, working and building a family in a state you don't like and plan to leave someday. crazy and yes, I can say wastefully stupid Forest!

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm thinking about living in the desert areas of NM

check out little burg called Queen NM

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I picked MT

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I plan on staying in MT, but taking a couple months off in winter to terrorize warmer climates with my pasty white skin smile . I've thought about AZ or Hawaii. Hawaii has the advantage of being able to VRBO a condo when I'm not using it. Plus fishing where you don't have to bore a hole first in January is nice. AZ I can drive too and don't have to fly which is handy.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (3333vl, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 23 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,879
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.