Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So kinda curious how much water everyone packs for a 1 day or over night trip? Is there such thing as too much of too little? Also if there are any fellow CA A-zone hunters or anyone from a state that knows what it's like to hunt in the middle of July or August in 90-100 degree heat i'd love to hear your experiences and opinions. I personally pack around six 16 oz bottles but starting to feel that's overkill depending on terrain. On average it's a 3-4 mile hike.

Last edited by slosaguy805; 05/09/19.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Backpacking or base camping? I generally take about 1 gal. per day in the truck and 2 or 3 quarts with me in the day pack depending on conditions. Not from Cali but I've seen hot.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A case of water in the truck, two 1-liter bottles in my pack, plus water purification tablets.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
For the most part base camp hunting. But a few spots it's about a mile to hike to camp. What's the season over in NV like?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
As little as possible as long as there is a water source for me to refill. A lot will depend on where I am hunting.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Your body will ration water at a much better rate than your pack will. Hydration starts days before the expedition.

With that said, I like 2 qts on me, a couple more at the tent, and always carry a LifeStraw and/or tabs.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Out of curiosity, what are you hunting in July & August there?

Re water, I keep plenty in the Jeep and at camp. Gallons. smile

In my pack, a couple of quarts. Also, I sometimes carry a water filter/pump, so I can replenish at small streams.

Guy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If my wife and MIL are along, there's no such thing and too much water. It'll all get used.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've backpacked in northern New Mexico in the summer. Water sources are abundant but often the water must be purified. I don't know how much water a person will consume daily under rigorous conditions in the heat, but it's a lot more than I thought.

Last edited by lotech; 05/11/19.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
At least a gallon!

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

When car camping, I carry at least one 5 gallon jug in the truck. Maybe more depending on location, conditions, and length of anticipated stay.

When day hiking/hunting out of a base camp I carry a quart and a water filter. If there's snow on the ground, I carry an Optimus Crux, a small canister of Isobutane, and a 12 ounce titanium cup, to melt snow.

When Backpacking, I carry about 1/2 liter and a filter.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hiking in summer, one gallon per day minimum. If water is available along the route 2 quart bottles and a good filter. I can no longer use iodine based purification. If I will be returning to camp for the night just a quart.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In many parts of A zone there isn’t much water available so carrying it on your back is usually the norm. I have packed in water to camp ahead of time but definitely need to be careful with the storage of it. I’d rather carry a little extra than not have enough.
Do you use any hydration mix or carry a Gatorade? I’ve found it a big help during mid day.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hello cascade,
Our general deer season starts in July for archery and 2nd weekend in August for rifle. It's pretty miserable and not and for the most part there isn't much water sources out there.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by 805
In many parts of A zone there isn’t much water available so carrying it on your back is usually the norm. I have packed in water to camp ahead of time but definitely need to be careful with the storage of it. I’d rather carry a little extra than not have enough.

That's probably the most true statement I've heard for hunting A zone. I've kicked around the idea of making a "time capsule" so to speak , out of 10 inch diameter pvc to secure to a tree and put a screw on cap to house bottles of water inside, then hiking in a few days before and dropping them off. Might actually try it this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slosaguy805
" ... Also if there are any fellow CA A-zone hunters or anyone from a state that knows what it's like to hunt in the middle of July or August in 90-100 degree heat i'd love to hear your experiences and opinions. ...

I can't answer about how much water I carried in early August in the A Zone as that was a long time ago. I can say that one hot August day I killed a nice buck there and as I was dressing it out, the damned yellow jackets got more of the meat than I did, plus I was stung four or five times. I swore right then I would never hunt the early season again in that August heat.

Always waited for the later cooler seasons in the Sierra. Much more pleasant hunting and when I killed a buck, I got home with the meat and the yellow jackets were nowhere to be seen. grin

That is my experience with the August zone in So. Calif. Have fun.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by slosaguy805
" ... Also if there are any fellow CA A-zone hunters or anyone from a state that knows what it's like to hunt in the middle of July or August in 90-100 degree heat i'd love to hear your experiences and opinions. ...

I can say that one hot August day I killed a nice buck there and as I was dressing it out, the damned yellow jackets got more of the meat than I did, plus I was stung four or five times. I swore right then I would never hunt the early season again in that August heat.

I almost forgot about those things until now....those guys can ruin anybody's day. More reason to do the late season muzzleloader tag out here lol.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use a 12 oz bottle which has a filter that removes all the nastiness that may be in the water. I have the luxury of streams & water sources that allow me to refill. If you don;t have such water available where you hunt it would probably be a trial & error for you to find out. You might go on a pre hunt hike to determine what your personal consumption might be. Physical size , overweight smoker, etc makes a difference. Also how much salty food you consume before you hunt. One size does not fit every one. If your hauling out game with heavy perspiration water demands will be more. I also carry some of the small fruit juice containers for added energy as well as moisture. If you use these make sure they are 100% fruit juice with no salt.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I like to get out and spend 1/2 day hiking around for vermin and will carry a couple 16oz bottles on me and have 2 more in the truck, I’m well hydrated before I start too.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For me July august heat one gallon a day wouldn't even be close. I can sweat out a gallon just sitting in the shade if its 85 or above. Just how my body works. And be miserable the whole time too.

More normal temps, backpack CO Sept MZ and Archery, at least 32 oz bottle, and a liter water bladder typically, depending availability of water as to how full everything always is, but even with filters I tended to err to carry a bit extra... I've been thirsty in NM when it was not even that warm, and that SUCKs...

Water is WAY more important than food. And lack of water starts to shut down vital body processes, shunting those you loose energy, time, etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.