Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I have a space where I want to kill everything ... leave bare dirt. It's got grass .. probably some sort of fescue from the look of it, plus blackberries, "burr clover" (buttercup), dandelion, and other. Any suggestions? My first thought is to spray it twice, first with roundup, then come back later with crossbow for the blackberries. It's adjacent to a hay field so I'm thinking about waiting 'til late summer after the hay has been bailed and hauled off and irrigation is done. Are there other spray options that'd be more effective?

mix some 24D with 245T. LOL. for years we sprayed out fence lines with that. And it killed everything. Very well.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

W
W
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I have a space where I want to kill everything ... leave bare dirt. It's got grass .. probably some sort of fescue from the look of it, plus blackberries, "burr clover" (buttercup), dandelion, and other. Any suggestions? My first thought is to spray it twice, first with roundup, then come back later with crossbow for the blackberries. It's adjacent to a hay field so I'm thinking about waiting 'til late summer after the hay has been bailed and hauled off and irrigation is done. Are there other spray options that'd be more effective?

mix some 24D with 245T. LOL. for years we sprayed out fence lines with that. And it killed everything. Very well.

For a complete burn down we use a mix of 24D and Glyphosate. I think it works out to 2.5oz of each per gallon of water. (Using the 41% concentrate gly)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a lot of herbicides that are designed to kill grass and weeds in crops such as soybeans and corn......and I don't mean the Roundup ready beans or corn. The problem is that none of them are made in the quart or gallon sizes that someone would need for a home garden. Poast, if they still make it, will kill the snot out of grass in soybeans, and I used it years ago in the garden to kill foxtail and Johnson grass.

2-4-D can be used to kill broadleaf weeds in certain crops, sweet corn and green beans being two of them. I've used it at a low rate. As others have noted, Roundup (glysophate) is good as long as you don't spray the crops, although there is a Roundup Ready variety of swwet corn.

For those interested in knowing more, go visit your county agent for agriculture, as most counties have one. Or, go visit a farm store that sells a out if chemicals. I had such a store once give me some jugs of a certain chemical, in which a small amount was still in them, and I sprayed some very hard to kill potato bugs.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Back before Roundup Ready cotton, they used MSMA to kill Johnson grass in cotton fields. Ought to work killing grass in vegetables.

“ ought to “ is the key phrase.

They quit making MSMA a few years ago.

He went over yonder way
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
^^ 2,4-D in any Phaseolus beans is a recipe for disaster. Poast or Select work well on grasses in broadleafs. I use it in my asparagus patch after harvest is complete. I’ve had better luck with Select (Clethodim) killing volunteer grains in my new alfalfa fields than with Poast.

IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by stxhunter
figured, chit growing like wild fire in the garden. i been sick for over 2 weeks and with all the rain its getting out of hand, guess i'll just have to pull it out. maybe find a wetback for 20 dolla.

And then complain about the border or how much welfare they use...

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Guy I know used to put glyphosate in a mop bucket and drag the mop between the rows.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl
figured, chit growing like wild fire in the garden. i been sick for over 2 weeks and with all the rain its getting out of hand, guess i'll just have to pull it out. maybe find a wetback for 20 dolla.

And then complain about the border or how much welfare they use...

guess your not smart enough to figure out when something is said tongue in cheek.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I some Scott's weed and feed. My number of dandelions about tripled now. I got to find something else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reminds me of the story Gramps used to tell about his neighbor giving a little arsenic to his dog to worm it and a handful mixed in some bait to rid himself of a troublesome feral boar. His dog died right away and the hog disappeared for several weeks and when he finally showed back up he had lost all of his hair!

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You could get yourself a hoe. Much easier than getting down on your knees to pull the weeds out.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I usually destroy to much with a hoe trying to get the roots out, if its wet, the stem and roots usually pull out easy and less overall issues, in the pasture we chop big headed thistles and then hit the roots with roundup to make sure its dead.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
got one but would like to get the roots if i can.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dan_oz
You could get yourself a hoe. Much easier than getting down on your knees to pull the weeds out.

This⬆️.

Or, you could trade your War Department in on a Chinese woman. Hell on weeds, and enthusiastic gardeners. I just finished the last of the tilling today and woke up from my nap to find mine planting pepper plants in the rain!

Life is good.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

i have corn.
sethoxidim (Poast) isn't good for corn but it works around almost all the rest.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rose bud and a propane tank get everything except right around the plant. Pull those by hand. Plus you can stand on two feet AND drink a beer while you do it and not give yourself cancer spraying chemicals on [bleep] you're about to eat

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Heeler
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Back before Roundup Ready cotton, they used MSMA to kill Johnson grass in cotton fields. Ought to work killing grass in vegetables.

“ ought to “ is the key phrase.

They quit making MSMA a few years ago.

Nope, they still make it. Target 6, got 2.5 gal in the garage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Veggies are difficult and no one herbicide works for all veggies. A good pre-emerge would help a lot. Atrazine + Dual Magnum would keep your corn clean if put down pre. Accent would take out grasses in corn if they were small when you applied it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
got one but would like to get the roots if i can.

I suppose laying strips of heavy plastic to control the weeds between rows ain’t doable?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
mostly grass. do they make one that won't harm vegetables.

What kind of grass Roger? If Bermuda it takes double the normal application of Glyphosate to kill it. Are the rows wide enough to till?

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,727
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.