Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
You aren’t riding a damn bike.

that's always a possibility with Flave. He could be spinning a yarn to knock one of the Renegade/Slummy posts off the top page.

so far all we got is a picture of a bike in a driveway, that could have been lifted off Craigslist.

He's proven himself pretty flexible with the calendar and the April 1 thing lately.

Throw in a motorcycle to bring Birdy into it. You might be on to something.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Rooster7

As for me I got all I needed.... a patch of sidewalk to call my own at the big overnight rest area on the interstate about 30-40 miles east of the intersection with the superslab heading south to Nashville.

Did you take the dug out canoe to get there?

I'm confused...

No you’re not, you’re attempting spite, a few minutes you’ll never get bac but which says written forever.

I did it on a Virago, a Ninja,,and a KLR, just once on the KLR. On the bicycle five years back I went up through Ohio to Lake Erie instead.

When you try it on a bicycle avoid Pennsylvania if you can, too many mountains, takes forever. You can be geared low enough to climb anything without too much effort, at about 4mph, but somehow you don’t make up all that lost time on the downhills.

Sheesh, you can't even be sarcastic and give people schidt on here anymore...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry, manopause I guess.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
The most comfortable bike I’ve done a 1,000 on was prob’ly that KLR, which show up in the Iron Butt Rally occasionally, or did 25 years back. Ain’t looked recently.

The fairing was actually pretty decent and , more to the point, it was an upright seating posture with your feet below you.

The archetypal Harleyesque feet-first riding position throws your weight on your butt. The thought actually makes me cringe now that I’m well up into the age of lower back pain.

You never did 1k miles on a KLR.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
You aren’t riding a damn bike.

that's always a possibility with Flave. He could be spinning a yarn to knock one of the Renegade/Slummy posts off the top page.

so far all we got is a picture of a bike in a driveway, that could have been lifted off Craigslist.

He's proven himself pretty flexible with the calendar and the April 1 thing lately.

Throw in a motorcycle to bring Birdy into it. You might be on to something.

It got a little chilly in southern Illinois. About 90 minutes of rain was enough for me.

Time to get drunk. Er.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At the start of my KLR period, on long trips I actually used to carry a C clamp (to break the bead), a pair of them 10” tire irons, and a tube. Filled up half a saddlebag just with that.

Then one day I actually had a flat, and there I was with my tools, c-clamp, tire irons and tube, standing by the side of the road looking at a 450lb motorcycle with no centerstand......

Fortunately FIx-a-Flat DOES work on tubes, despite the dire So-now-you-can’t-sue-us warnings on the can.

Another flat was outside of Texarkana on my way to NY. Right before I left I had a new rear tire put on. Turns out the crackhead mechanic at the dealership (good help is prob’ly hard to find) had pinched the tube, causing it to split.

I ended up paddling all afternoon along the access road in the direction of the dearest motorcycle shop, who weren’t going to be open until Tuesday anyway (this was Saturday).

(Fortunately the KLR is water-cooled so you CAN walk it along the side of the road for hours).

Some hours later, God sent a professional motocross rider pulling a box trailer with two bikes and his tools. He sees me, actually has to get off at the next exit and come back around.

Fifteen minutes later I was on my way, heavy duty tube installed, the guy wouldn’t accept any payment.

With tubeless tires all it would have taken is a tire plug kit, a couple of CO2 cylinders, and ten minutes

So, I’d be OK traveling along on a Honda Transalp fer example, so long as I had a professional motocross racer and his trailer following me.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that your really, really long way of saying you think he is a dink for not having a plug kit and co2 tire inflator in his pocket?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

You never did 1k miles on a KLR.

I absolutely did, 1993. When I was on my way to do it again on that same bike in 2010 (go for it Captain Search Engine) I had a tube split up by Texarkana.

The KLR is such an outstanding design I’m sure very many others have done as much.

I recall when I woke up the following morning on that familiar stretch of sidewalk in that rest area east of the Nashville turnoff, I was adjusting the chain and a skinny old Vietnamese guy fresh off the boat comes over, squats on his heels watching me do it. In his broken English he said he had been a motorcycle mechanic back in the old country.

The second day all I had left was 800 miles, but stopped along the way at points of interest, late that night in pouring rain south of Scranton/WilkesBarre, I came up on a Jeep with “AXL ROS” on the plates.

I pulled up along side and it sure looked like him, bandanna, long hair and all. He didn’t seem to notice me. At the time I figured whoever she was she musta been pretty hot to have him out driving in the rain at that time of night.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffA
Is that your really, really long way of saying you think he is a dink for not having a plug kit and co2 tire inflator in his pocket?

No, it’s my really really long way of saying stay away from motorcycles with tube tires.

If I wanted to be mean I woulda asked him how many times he dropped the bike.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This road trip will help your CV when you apply for CHP’s....Oops, Florida Hwy Patrol, I meant....That’s, If you wanted to be a cop-which, of course you don’t... Biker gang member then. Waiting for you to earn your colors. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At the start of my KLR period, on long trips I actually used to carry a C clamp (to break the bead), a pair of them 10” tire irons, and a tube. Filled up half a saddlebag just with that.

Then one day I actually had a flat, and there I was with my tools, c-clamp, tire irons and tube, standing by the side of the road looking at a 450lb motorcycle with no centerstand......

Had a flat many years ago and every idea we could come up with to break the bead failed miserably even with the wheel/tire in my big bench vice. Finally succeeded by heating the rim with a torch. Looked like the mfg. had used a glue/sealant all the way around the 40 spoke rim.

Why ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm actually more interested in finding out why the brother left the bike with flave. Something tells me the backstory is more interesting.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice bike. After owning three Wings thought the big Beemers would be a nice change and much faster to boot.
1,000 miles in one day on a bike is tough. I managed back to back 750 mile days on my 2005 Wing on my way back to Alaska once and it dam near killed me

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I'm actually more interested in finding out why the brother left the bike with flave. Something tells me the backstory is more interesting.

Nothing too crazy. He got drunk and rode it down in January. When we were sick of each other he decided to fly back.

Local dirt stored it for him. I agreed to bring it back.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Nice bike. After owning three Wings thought the big Beemers would be a nice change and much faster to boot.
1,000 miles in one day on a bike is tough. I managed back to back 750 mile days on my 2005 Wing on my way back to Alaska once and it dam near killed me

That’s impressive SW.

Did you ever buy the Beemer?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No, now I am back into smaller lighter and faster bikes. Wife has no desire to get on the back anymore.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bud Light does crazy things to the brain huh...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Did I miss Gruff's birthday?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Curdog,

That made me laugh.

Reminds of Andrew Dice Clay.

“When I say farmer, I mean anyone that lives between New York and Los Angeles. They’re FARMER’s.”

What about Floridians?

We’d have to ask Dice.

I'm sure his answer would be colorful. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by logcutter
Did I miss Gruff's birthday?

Yes.

And we’ve been waiting on the apology.

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 35, 300_savage, 14idaho, 10 invisible), 958 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,411
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.