Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Tradmark
A gun is completely safe at a given pressure ir its not. Its why i dont care one bit whether two calibers shoot the same bullet at 6 or 8k more psi or not. Nor whether a gun has a 100%, 80%, 40% or whatever safety margin. Its safe and the gun can run that pressure or it cant. So care not about these things.

You have to have some sort of ground rules. A baseline. If you're comparing two cartridges or guns, as the articles in question do, you have to start somewhere. Linebaugh determined that the large frame .45 Blackhawk experienced catastrophic failure at ~60,000psi. The .44 Super Blackhawk at ~80,000psi. SAAMI maximums for the .44 are half that, which yields a 100% safety margin. Therefore he concluded that the .45's were about 80% as strong as the .44's and could be safely run at 80% the pressure with a 100% safety margin. Does t hat mean the guns can take more pressure than the accepted maximums? Sure but the safety margin is there for a reason. It's there for those unseen variables like crimp strength, varying chamber dimensions, dirty chambers, tight throats, case length, powder variations, etc., that are not present in a test barrel but can effect chamber pressure in an actual firearm. Sure, you could run a standard six shot Blackhawk at 50,000psi but how long would it last? What happens when those unseen variables add up to create a revolving hand grenade? This is why it is only proper and fair to compare the .45Colt at "Ruger only" levels to the .44Mag at standard pressure. That is part of the Linebaugh/Seyfried articles that is unwavering. It's only in guns that are stronger than the aforementioned six-shot Rugers that they can be operated at the same pressure, which is pretty much the limit at 100% load density.

That said, i have not one clue why anyone would ever have some fancy custom built in hopes of gaining some massive advantage.

Nor I. If I'm going to the expense of a five-shot, it's going to be a .475 or .500.

The 45 colts main advantage is it can use the tougher 454 casull bullets as the biggest gains to be had in either side will be in what bullet one uses.

I agree and to me, there is the biggest advantage of the .454. The lofty pressure ceiling coupled with tough bullets make it a significant step up in capability.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thats why i just use a 454, why not take advantage of even more powder capacity and speed? I kinda laugh at the “i wish fa and ruger and bfr just made it in a 45 colt.” With the 454 you have a cartridge that has the ability to be done with bore size arguments because it will readily push aframes and the like thru a cape buffalo to the offside as it will a barnes xbp and they expand to a minimum of .7”. This kills better than any of the larger solids and the 475 and 480 dont have the velocity to push those expandables to the velocity necessary to make that work, nor do they have the same bullet choices. That said i think the difference is more into what bullets you use. ANY of these choices, and ill add 41 mag in there, can easily be better than a larger faster one depending on which bullet you choose. Ill take a 41 mag with a monometal solid or swift aframe over any of the biggies with a cast bullet.

Last edited by Tradmark; 05/12/19.

Actually doing something usually changes a persons previously worthless opinion
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
And with the .454 you can forget about all the crap that is usually wrong with .45's. Over or undersized throats. Oversized chambers, etc..

Which was always one of my gripes about the .45Colt. You can buy a properly built .44Mag right off the shelf but a .45 has to be built out of something else. The best .45's Ruger has ever built are .454's.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Thats why i just use a 454, why not take advantage of even more powder capacity and speed? I kinda laugh at the “i wish fa and ruger and bfr just made it in a 45 colt.” With the 454 you have a cartridge that has the ability to be done with bore size arguments because it will readily push aframes and the like thru a cape buffalo to the offside as it will a barnes xbp and they expand to a minimum of .7”. This kills better than any of the larger solids and the 475 and 480 dont have the velocity to push those expandables to the velocity necessary to make that work, nor do they have the same bullet choices. That said i think the difference is more into what bullets you use. ANY of these choices, and ill add 41 mag in there, can easily be better than a larger faster one depending on which bullet you choose. Ill take a 41 mag with a monometal solid or swift aframe over any of the biggies with a cast bullet.

If one wants. To use 45 Colt brass in a BFR or FA they can be loaded to the same level

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by CraigC
And with the .454 you can forget about all the crap that is usually wrong with .45's. Over or undersized throats. Oversized chambers, etc..

Which was always one of my gripes about the .45Colt. You can buy a properly built .44Mag right off the shelf but a .45 has to be built out of something else. The best .45's Ruger has ever built are .454's.

BFR’s and FA haven’t had that problem.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
If you take what was written in the proper context it is correct. Pushing 340 grain 44 bullets 50,000 psiis not in context. What is in context is the 45 will push the same weight bullet as fast as the 44 at Less pressure and shorter barrel as all data shows.

If the article presents the data in Hodgdon #26 as representing the .44Mag at its best, then it is obsolete.

All data does not show that. The Hodgdon data, presented here, shows differently. Almost as fast, in barrels the same length. Not as fast. Not faster. Not in shorter barrels.

50,000psi loads, when compared to each other, is the proper context.

All can be loaded to higher pressure in proper platform that is not a problem. The 45 will push the same weight bullet faster than a 44 at the same pressure all data proves this.

Agreed. I said that, many times.

The difference between them isn’t day light and dark different but it still exists. 80% meplat is bigger in 45, also a fact

That's the abstract version. In the real world, comparing actual bullets, it is not that black & white because commercial bullets aren't following those rules. As I've repeated a thousand times, one must look at individual bullets.

If you take what was written in the proper context it is correct. Pushing 340 grain 44 bullets 50,000 psiis not in context. What is in context is the 45 will push the same weight bullet as fast as the 44 at Less pressure and shorter barrel as all data shows.

If the article presents the data in Hodgdon #26 as representing the .44Mag at its best, then it is obsolete.

All data does not show that. The Hodgdon data, presented here, shows differently. Almost as fast, in barrels the same length. Not as fast. Not faster. Not in shorter barrels.

50,000psi loads, when compared to each other, is the proper context.

All can be loaded to higher pressure in proper platform that is not a problem. The 45 will push the same weight bullet faster than a 44 at the same pressure all data proves this.

Agreed. I said that, many times.

The difference between them isn’t day light and dark different but it still exists. 80% meplat is bigger in 45, also a fact

That's the abstract version. In the real world, comparing actual bullets, it is not that black & white because commercial bullets aren't following those rules. As I've repeated a thousand times, one must look at individual bullets.

I posted hogdon data and the 44 barrel was indeed 1” and the CUP was slightly higher, that is a fct according to Hogdon

Trademark is correct.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

If one wants. To use 45 Colt brass in a BFR or FA they can be loaded to the same level

They can be loaded near the same level but not to the same level but a maxed 454 will outrun a maxed 45 colt by more than a 45 colt will outrun a 44 mag and the whole point is why then shoot a 45 colt in an already stronger 454 gun then get it knocked down to a 45 colt. Makes not one lick of sense. I know guys that think they load to equivalent 454 levels, but they arent.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
In fact the 454 has a great case capacity difference between it and the 45 colt than the 45 colt dose over the 44 mag (depending on the exact brass used). Plus the guns are stronger so if we want to continue with this 45 colt advantage vs the 44 mag then we cant ignore it the other way either.

Last edited by Tradmark; 05/12/19.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The 480 Ruger rendered this whole conversation irrelevant , except for the sake of argument.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Well except depending on what bullets one wants to use but it is a step up from the 44mag and 45 colt.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
What if one has a cast bullet designed to seat out in the 45 Colt case to the same or very close to the same OAL as the same bullet seated in the 454 case at normal 454 Casull length? Could one come close to the 454 Casull like that?
I could use enough Bullseye under, not over said bullet to get recoil like a 22 RF so I wouldn't be afraid of it. And then I could work up to maybe full power in maybe 10 to 12 years if I live long enough.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

BFR’s and FA haven’t had that problem.

The conversation predates BFR's and FA's are $3000. It's cheaper to build a tight .45 out of a .44 than it is to buy an FA.

I posted hogdon data and the 44 barrel was indeed 1” and the CUP was slightly higher, that is a f@ct according to Hogdon

Which is why the .44's advantage in their data was 100fps. In identical guns, it's 50fps.

...why then shoot a 45 colt in an already stronger 454 gun then get it knocked down to a 45 colt. Makes not one lick of sense.

Some bullets can only be loaded in .45Colt cases due to overall length limitations. I had a thought about reaming a .44Mag to take a 1.4" case but with the bullets I'm using, there's no point as I'm already using the entire cylinder length.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Some i guess but no probs with any of the monometals or punch bullets, nor the premium expandables. The only time this is an issues is when some crazies adhering to the obsession with bullet weight and somehow think a 385gr is somehow gonna make a difference vs a 355 or whatever. It has never been an issue for me in anyway and i think ive used it on enough stuff to render that point moot.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's only really an issue with very heavy cast bullets. Which, as we're finding out, is yesterday's news. wink

IMHO, the 360gr from CPBC or Oregon Trail is the top cast bullet for the .454 and it fits just fine in .454 brass.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

They can be loaded near the same level but not to the same level but a maxed 454 will outrun a maxed 45 colt by more than a 45 colt will outrun a 44 mag and the whole point is why then shoot a 45 colt in an already stronger 454 gun then get it knocked down to a 45 colt. Makes not one lick of sense. I know guys that think they load to equivalent 454 levels, but they arent.

When loaded to the same COL the powdered capacity is equal. Ross Seyfried loaded 60,000 + psi loads in 45 colt brass

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Some i guess but no probs with any of the monometals or punch bullets, nor the premium expandables. The only time this is an issues is when some crazies adhering to the obsession with bullet weight and somehow think a 385gr is somehow gonna make a difference vs a 355 or whatever. It has never been an issue for me in anyway and i think ive used it on enough stuff to render that point moot.

Bullet weight is not the prime factor that effects penetration. The material and nose shape are more important.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Exactly so weight is way way down the list. Behind construction type and materialtype and nose profile.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

When loaded to the same COL the powdered capacity is equal. Ross Seyfried loaded 60,000 + psi loads in 45 colt brass

what pistols did he shoot those in, Rugers??

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Sevilles.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Exactly so weight is way way down the list. Behind construction type and materialtype and nose profile.

Proving that SD is a meaningless number.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

234 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 2UP, 29 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,280
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.