Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

What chemistry labs?

Funny you should ask that, because if you knew jack [bleep] about propellant chemistry, you'd know that temp stability and nitroglycerin content has been an issue all the way back to Alfred Nobel trying to pawn Ballistite off on the French government in the 1880s. They were't as foolish as he'd hoped, spotted the stability problem, and stuck with the single base nitrocelulose Poudre B and thus got the first working smokeless cartridge. The Italians were more gullible and bought Nobel's mistake and lost 5 years jacking around with it until they invented Solenite which is still laughably unstable by modern standards but at least could be used.

So the role of nitroglycerin content has been understood for right at about 130 years now. Except by you. I guess some subjects just aren't covered in clown college laugh

Your "history lesson" sounded like something off the internet.

So, I Googled the topics and guess what... http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2017/02/smokeless-powders-cordite.html

You took credit, didn't give any. Not surprised.

Generally with "scientific" discussions, one footnotes or gives credit for quotes.

DF

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What some fail to realize, is that aside from the well-established smokeless powder chemistry being so flippantly thrown around, powder geometry also plays a role in temperature stability. Recent advancements in smokeless powder include new geometric approaches (like cylindrical shells), as well as modern chemical additives such as different and perhaps more effective de-coppering agents.

It is certainly an overly simplistic and narrow-minded approach to make all assertions of the temp-stability of various smokeless powders based solely on the basic chemical composition of a particular powder (the standard nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin bases), without also considering powder geometry, bore-to-powder volume ratio, pressure curve characteristics, bullet weight, etc.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What some fail to realize, is that aside from the well-established smokeless powder chemistry being so flippantly thrown around, powder geometry also plays a role in temperature stability. Recent advancements in smokeless powder include new geometric approaches (like cylindrical shells), as well as modern chemical additives such as different and perhaps more effective de-coppering agents.

It is certainly an overly simplistic and narrow-minded approach to make all assertions of the temp-stability of various smokeless powders based solely on the basic chemical composition of a particular powder (the standard nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin bases), without also considering powder geometry, bore-to-powder volume ratio, pressure curve characteristics, bullet weight, etc.

About as much physics as chemistry.

And powder coatings have come a long way.

Technology has advanced a bunch since Cordite.

DF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Jordan if I'm not mistaken, his assertions weren't based solely on chemistry, there was that extensive testing he did using a single bullet in a single chambering.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by smokepole

Jordan if I'm not mistaken, his assertions weren't based solely on chemistry, there was that extensive testing he did using a single bullet in a single chambering.

My issue with LB is his over reaching, didactic, authoritarian statements and claims that are outliers from accepted norms.

That RL-26 is the most temp sensitive power doesn’t square with conventional knowledge. Now temp sensitivity, from what I understand, can vary a great deal depending on application. I agree that the Extreme series is very temp stable, no doubt better than RL-26, but there are more temp sensitive powders, IMO.

Then there was LB’s historical treatise on early smokeless powders, regurgitated thought for thought from the internet link I posted with no credit given. So, how much of his other stuff is of similar origin. We’ve seen that kinda behavior here before.

So, based on style and content, I’m not convinced until shown otherwise. Mark me as skeptical.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
These days it's easy to look like an expert, with the Google-machine close at hand...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
These days it's easy to look like an expert, with the Google-machine close at hand...

Evidently...

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The one I really like is "proving" RL-26 was really temp-sensitive, first by simulating results indoors with a really light bullet in the .264--when a bunch of shooters have found 26 very stable when chronographed in ACTUAL field conditions with heavy-for-caliber bullets in cartridges from the .243 on up.

Then he "backed up" his claim by citing QuickLoad. Now, I have nothing against QL, having used it since it appeared. But even the directions for QL state that actually testing is preferable.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The one I really like is "proving" RL-26 was really temp-sensitive, first by simulating results indoors with a really light bullet in the .264--when a bunch of shooters have found 26 very stable when chronographed in ACTUAL field conditions with heavy-for-caliber bullets in cartridges from the .243 on up.

Then he "backed up" his claim by citing QuickLoad. Now, I have nothing against QL, having used it since it appeared. But even the directions for QL state that actually tested data is preferable.

Damn John, thought you were above petty sh*t like this. Sad

Swifty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What's wrong with stating a fact Swifty, which is all MD did there, and he's 100% correct. Everyone knew LB was a dumbass so MD was actually being nice about it. Just like he was to you when you became one of the only people on the planet that couldn't figure out how to use Bore Coat.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Then he "backed up" his claim by citing QuickLoad. Now, I have nothing against QL, having used it since it appeared. But even the directions for QL state that actually tested data is preferable.

Swift, this was not even close to “petty”, but rather furthering a point that the poster in question was narrow, biased, and conceited. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Swifty52

No, what's sad is your tirades about your "negative experience" and unanswered emails on a discontinued inexpensive bore coat product. Ironic that a guy who's been pissing and moaning for weeks about such a trivial thing would take someone to task for being petty.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.