-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't own an electric car but this is just one more reason to not live in Illinois

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I don't own an electric car but this is just one more reason to not live in Illinois

As if anyone needs a reason to leave Illinois. If they could just harness the muzzle energy the drive by shooters are wasting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The electric car problems will come to every state if the democrats get put in charge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by tedthorn

As if anyone needs a reason to leave Illinois. If they could just harness the muzzle energy the drive by shooters are wasting.

Thats Chicago

The rest of Illinois would be happy to take the state back Im sure

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What kind of resale will there be on a used EV? Is anyone going to want 2-5 year old technology? I think buyers will want the newer tech more efiicient EV's.

Power grid? LA already has blackouts during the summer months. Now imagine 10 million cars charging up every day. Then sitting in traffic with the air conditioners running to and from work.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At $10k/ft of freeway lane, the $5 or $10 a day/vehicle in gas tax pays the interest on the money for enough road to be in stop go traffic, not free flow traffic.

We were already under funding roads.

One theory is that we do not have the greatest freeway system because we have the greatest economy, but rather we have the greatest economy because we have the greatest freeway system.

China is outbuilding us in freeway lane miles.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
The electric car problems will come to every state if the democrats get put in charge.

There's a pun in there somewhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where I live and hunt it's not exactly electric truck friendly! eek

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
What kind of resale will there be on a used EV? Is anyone going to want 2-5 year old technology? I think buyers will want the newer tech more efiicient EV's.

Power grid? LA already has blackouts during the summer months. Now imagine 10 million cars charging up every day. Then sitting in traffic with the air conditioners running to and from work.

The way it will work is that most of those 10 million cars will be charging up every night.

“To put it simply, electric cars will take some of the enormous profits the fossil fuel companies have been making for the past 150 years and transfer them to utility companies. Fossil fuel companies may complain because they see dollar bills flying out of their wallets, but utility companies should be offering everyone incentives to buy electric cars. That’s what smart business people would do. In fact, Southern California Edison is doing precisely that at this very moment.”

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Somehow I can't see the electric pickup pulling the 5th wheel trailer and boat to the lake or a 4 horse trailer thru a foot of snow to the trailhead.

I cant either, now. But Orville and Wilbur Wright didn't figure their aircraft they flew at Kitty Hawk could haul tons of freight over thousands of miles nonstop.
We are in the early stages of development of electric vehicles. Im sure more than a few guys on horseback laughed like hell at that progressive minded sport that was stuck in a rut on a muddy road in his model T. Im sure they didn't imagine paved roads with 6 lanes and gas stations every 400 feet.

The other day I saw a 3 electric docking stations at a Carvers Fast food restaurant.
For now I will keep driving my Silverado.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't think we have the power or grid to handle large scale EV numbers at this time. But even if we did, it doesn't answer my OP point - paying for the roads to run them on. The tax issue needs to be settled so they pay their fair share. IL is trying to do that but the EV owners think they should get it free. Life isn't free.

Come on Rock you know very well figuring out how to tax is the least difficult task the government has. LOL.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Somehow I can't see the electric pickup pulling the 5th wheel trailer and boat to the lake or a 4 horse trailer thru a foot of snow to the trailhead.

I can’t see pulling boat trailers in a foot of snow. Maybe a snowmobile trailer.
But with electric motor torque driving each of the four wheels, the coming all electric pickups and SUVs will be better-suited than what we have now. Rivian will be the first with its Normal, Illinois based all-electric pickup.
A 2020 model is promised and the specs are very impressive.

Towing is rated at 11,000 pounds and empty it does 0 to 60 in three seconds. 400 miles on a full charge or up to 150 miles daily driving on a 20 minute quick charge.
They call it an off-roader with all this power slung low between the wheels, water sealed and fully protected with a skid plate.
I did not know what a “frunk” was, but that is what they call the big extra storage space up front. Where the long-gone engine used to sit.

Those are impressive numbers, as far as they go. But they leave a lot of unanswered questions:
What is the curb weight?
Does it need 10 ply tires just to carry the battery pack?
What is the 80 mph to zero stopping distance?
Will it pull a 10,000 lb trailer up 8 miles of 6% grade? At minus 15 degrees?
How many hours will I have to spend at charging stations pulling a loaded trailer from Boise to Portland on I84?
How often will I need to replace the battery pack?
What will it cost to replace?

At best, electric cars would only be useful within small sections of cities.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Wait until people have to wait in line a few days to get their EV's recharged because the grid can't handle them.

Yep. That’ll be funny. The snowflakes will go into meltdown mode!
They will really be fuqked when a big EMP hits.

So will everyone who pulls up to a gas station with a electric pump.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

I cant either, now. But Orville and Wilbur Wright didn't figure their aircraft they flew at Kitty Hawk could haul tons of freight over thousands of miles nonstop.
We are in the early stages of development of electric vehicles. Im sure more than a few guys on horseback laughed like hell at that progressive minded sport that was stuck in a rut on a muddy road in his model T. Im sure they didn't imagine paved roads with 6 lanes and gas stations every 400 feet.

The other day I saw a 3 electric docking stations at a Carvers Fast food restaurant.

I don't know why people cant see it just like you wrote....who in their right mind ever thought we would go to the moon?......bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

I don't know why people cant see it just like you wrote....who in their right mind ever thought we would go to the moon?......bob

Think how long we had both cell phones and land lines. Some still do have both. It will be the same for many families. Some seem only their own situation. They fail to recognize that most people only haul their butts and groceries around and have a 20 mile commute to work. I pointed out before I live in a subdivision of thousands of houses. There are probably only a handful of us living here that have a need for the horsepower we are driving around in.
Houses in the future will be prewired for your charging system just like modern houses are wired for your electric dryer.
This isnt an overnight thing. Every gas station isnt going to suddenly going to close down and every car dealership offering only electric cars. Most of us will finish out our lives with our combustion engine vehicles.

Not everyone wants, needs or finds good use of a smart phone. My first mobile phone came in a bag and took all night to charge and if I used it it was out of juice by 1:00. All the thing did was made calls. Now my smart phone does a 100 different tasks and will run all day on a half hours worth of charging. Theres places to plug them in everywhere. You don't even need the heavy 110 power block any more as everywhere you look theres a USB port to plug into. I even bought a small external battery to recharge 2 additional times if neccessary for less than $15.

The debate here is more when and to what extend electric vehicles will occupy garages and roads ,not if. Someone will figure out how to overcome the problems. Just like they have with every technical advancement available to the commoners. We need to understand we here are a niche not common.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Will the money actually GO to roads, or will it be siphoned off like the gas tax money has been for decades?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't think we have the power or grid to handle large scale EV numbers at this time. But even if we did, it doesn't answer my OP point - paying for the roads to run them on. The tax issue needs to be settled so they pay their fair share. IL is trying to do that but the EV owners think they should get it free. Life isn't free.

You’re pretty fugking brainwashed. Do you have any idea how much revenue IL collects from tolls and property taxes and sales tax and income taxes?

Have you ever driven on an IL toll road? They are pieces of fugking schit.

Electric car or not any new tax in Illinois is a goat fugking scam plain and simple.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by burner
Will the money actually GO to roads, or will it be siphoned off like the gas tax money has been for decades?

Fugk no.

Just another scam dreamt up by corrupt democrats.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Won't matter in 12 years. More bs on the way.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It’s pretty obvious who reads Popular Mechamics and who doesn’t.

JFC some of you guys are as short sighted as that AOC [bleep].

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,912
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.