Print Thread
Hop To
R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Looking to put an optic on my Buckmark. Burris FF3, Vortex Venom, other? Use is mostly plinking and shooting ground squirrels. For shooting ground squirrels at distance, 40-60 yds, is the 3 MOA dot small enough? Trying to keep cost under $250. TIA!

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ryoushi: I was hoping someone else would answer to your posting.
I have 5 (five) heavy barrel BuckMark and Ruger MK-IV type pistols set up to Hunt Ground Squirrels with.
On each of them I have the relatively cheap "TRUGLO" type red dot (with green dot options) sights on them.
These cost about $55.00 each and work rather well for me.
The furthest kill on Ground Squirrels I have made with one of my heavy barrel 22 L.R. pistols to date, has been a Leica lasered 72 yards (walked out to kill and lasered back to vehicle from which I shot).
I am sure the smallest dots I choose to use in my TRUGLO's does not cover 3 M.O.A.
I am enclosing a link to these TRUGLO's I use - they have no magnification by the way.

Link: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...lement_product_rr_3_13064_&rrec=true

I hope this link works.
I'll try it after I post and rectify if need be.
By the way my TRUGLO's have options for aiming type points, colors and intensities.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The FF3 and other FFs, plus the general run of "Doktor"-style open reflex sights are light and compact and fit nicely on .22 pistols. Can't say I've seen any, especially lower-priced ones with dots smaller than 3moa. There are some with "crosshair" reticles that might be better. Be sure whatever you buy has manual brightness control, as the auto models don't always do what's best. Generally, the lowest setting you can see well will give you the sharpest dot. If you need corrective lenses forbdistance vision, you'll need them with a red dot, I've found.

I have a couple of discontinued Vortex Sparc2 sights with 2moa dots. They are pretty heavy for a .22 pistol, but very sharp and clear. One rode on a .270 for a while and now sits on a magnum springer airgun. The other is NIB because I bought one for an .357 revolver and it crapped after 10 rounds, so they sent me a replacement, which has yet to find a home. Might go on my new 10/22 once accuracy testing with a scope is done. It's a good fit on a rifle with a rail. You might find one of those on Fleabay like I did. Paid $133 IIRC. Pretty sure the failure was a fluke, as these are reputed to be tough, and my first one spent some time on another .357 without issue.

My Smith Victory wears a Bushnell TR25, about $50 on Amazon. Decent size and weight and clear 3moa dot. Only fired it in the basement to zero it, but my range buddy has used them on his pistols for a good while and seems happy.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Fastfire 3 or Holosun 507C

Last edited by warpig602; 05/19/19.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I too have the Tru Glo version on my Buckmark Green Lite auto.
It’s inexpensive and works very well. The battery seems to last forever.

If I do my part, shooting off of sandbags I can hit soda cans or clay birds at 100 yards pretty regularly.
You can choose either red or green reticle and the intensity. It’s a good place to start.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The whole LOVES to shoot this thing topped with a Trijicon RMR.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use Fastfires on my Victory and Bunkmarp. But I mount them far enuff back that I can carry them on my belt......

edit for pic.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntsman22; 05/21/19.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got a Burris FF 2 and a FF 3, as well as a Vortex Venom all mounted on Ruger MK III's. Haven't had an issue with any of them. I like the cover for the FF2 better than the one that comes with the FF3, but the FF3 has a top loading battery vs a bottom loading battery in the FF2. All three of those can be found in your price range.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Blacktail53: Good for you on the bonking of pop cans and clay pigeons at 100 yards with your BuckMark!
Makes me want to try for a Ground Squirrel out that far!
Your description of the TRUGLO and the explanation you gave is much better than mine.
I have recommended this sighting device to several friends of mine for their pistols and they are happy with them.
I have shot a number of pistols this year and in the past with the more expensive "dot" sights and like you, I say, save some money and try these first.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the input fellas. Will take a look at the Truglo to start and go from there. Happy to hear positive reviews of the FF and Vortex as well.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,285 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,196
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.