Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by burner
Was the replacement catalytic convertor factory? Also the 02 sensors? Saw a wide range of weird problems with aftermarket parts in those two areas espc. cats not containing proper quantities of precious metals which screws up 02 sensor readings but not always enough to throw a code...

It was not... the cost delta between OEM and aftermarket was worth more than the van (almost). The idle problem was actually reduced about 50% with the new Cat (old Cat was pretty clogged and when the engine was able to breathe easier the idle problem became less severe (but still there... and I am determined to fix).

Originally Posted by Greyghost
Second the Crankshaft Sensor or another timing part...Phil

Ordered the MAP... doing that and vacuum lines...

Crank sensor will be next.

Originally Posted by Snyper
Have you disconnected the battery since installing all those new parts?
Doing so would reset the computer.

We have cleared codes with the Solus (and none came back, not that there were any to begin with). But disconnecting the battery can't hurt anything... I will try that as well.

Mechanic said he knocked off the vacuum line (@ brake master cly) by accident and the idle problem went away... not sure what that means exactly, but will stick with vacuum for now.

Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by CashisKing
As for throwing a match on her... been considered OFTEN.
I'd add gas first - to make sure it doesn't survive... Just sayin'......

If I hadn't work on this damn thing so much in the past 12 months with new rack, brakes, trans service, tires etc. I would gladly dump, but now am kind of in for for a penny... in for a pound.

I'm also kinda bull headed when I can't figure something out.

Last edited by CashisKing; 05/13/19.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Take a look at that PCV. If plugged or inop that would be, at the heart, a vacuum issue. I had a car stall out simply because the vacuum line would pop off the PCV when starting (little elbow on a 3.3L Buick). Eventually I junked another car with the same setup and swapped in a new elbow and never had that problem again.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Also it's cheap.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure how the crank sensor, or cam sensor setup is on that engine. Many are adjustable. If the air gap between the sensor and the toothed wheel is too large, they will often drop out at low rpms. Something to check, anyway.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
isn't that a Mitsubishi motor.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"We held the throttle at 1k RPMs and sprayed carb cleaner all over the intake (i.e. trying to get a sign of intake leak... idle variation)... no luck."

Can you hold her at a grand with your right foot?

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 5thShock
"We held the throttle at 1k RPMs and sprayed carb cleaner all over the intake (i.e. trying to get a sign of intake leak... idle variation)... no luck."

Can you hold her at a grand with your right foot?

Sure... but when you come off of 1k... or put her in gear she will stall. I could two foot her forever, but I prefer to fix...

Bottomline, I have hunted/camped out of this van for 4-5 years now... Cold AM... crank the engine over... let the heater work 5-10 minutes while I stay in my fart sack... makes for a easy peasy AM start to the day when it is 10 degrees outside. Call me sissy.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Mechanic said he knocked off the vacuum line (@ brake master cly) by accident and the idle problem went away... not sure what that means exactly, but will stick with vacuum for now"

Well you got to find out what that means exactly. I think your van is trying, I think it wants to be good.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Dump a half can of Seafoam into the brake booster vacuum hose and see how she fares.

MAP arrived today... I will install... maybe... the Seafoam in the vacuum, oil and fuel seems to have really really helped... minor studder, but zero stalling... Thanks AkMtnHntr... great idea.

New problem today... front HVAC blower dropped out (rear is fine)... swapped fuses and relays... front still is out...

So... related problem (plan to verify block and chassis grounds)???

Or just another fluke with a chiitty old Mopar... we shall see. Blower motor is cheap, but I am sure she is buried deep under the dash. If I can jumper 12v... that would be nice... we will see.

Thanks for the opinions fellas... We really appreciate it.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
So... related problem (plan to verify block and chassis grounds)???

VERY COMMON on the Cummins trucks with 46/47 RE/RH to have a trans shift problem, BUT it is actually the ground... VERY COMMON PROBLEM... happened to me on 3 trucks. These trans MUST have a solid ground... I add extra grounds to mine.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
if you have a guy that works at an auto parts store and he recommends Sea Foam,

If you talk to him a little more and discover that he hunts or shoots...he will probably be a 270win owner.

It apparently has magical mechanical healing powers and can slay dragons too.

When someone at a parts counter is out of brain cells, their go-to answer is "ehhh have ya put some sea foam in her yet"

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
You may be right... Hopps #9 is better...

Posted this last Fall when she first went down on me...

----------------------------------------

Been cleaning a few small engine carbs with Hopps #9 for a while now.

They clean-up well and seem to work at least as well as new after...

Throttle body on the 3.8l minivan needed some love (Idle Air was bad)... so 15 minutes of effort...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These are for the jets etc. as needed...

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-pc-airbrush-cleaning-brushes-68155.html

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I'm remembering correctly that blower motor is behind the glove compartment. Not to bad of a job.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 12344mag
If I'm remembering correctly that blower motor is behind the glove compartment. Not to bad of a job.

It is...

Watched a Youtube on troubleshooting/repair...

The lead-in tip was to wack the blower motor with a hammer (... assume like wacking a starter).

No hammer handy, but wacked it with a can of Seafoam that was... and she started working again.

Apparently Seafoam fixes everything!

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Started stuttering again... AC blower motor went down (related???)... then one of my headlights (DS low beam only)... Related??? Weird...

Stepped back for a fresh look this PM...

YA THINK THIS COULD BE A PROBLEM???

[Linked Image]

Quick fix (...and a new chapter for my book "1,001 Useful Things You Can Steal From Work."

[Linked Image]

Will bond everything tomorrow and start over again on the T/S.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I take back what I said about the van. It may be playing with you, be careful. I admire your persistence, but beware, it can turn into a weakness when something is using it to get you. Computers can be fussy about the voltage presented to them, the broken ground, maybe...
Burn some sage in the van.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Redneck
As for throwing a match on her... been considered OFTEN.
I'd add gas first - to make sure it doesn't survive... Just sayin'......

Or part it out and let 15 other people have the problems.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
$3.47 battery cable at Walmart... #6 gauge x 19" battery to engine block...

Similar... [Linked Image]

SOLVED

Thank You Jesus!

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
$3.47 battery cable at Walmart... #6 gauge x 19" battery to engine block...

Similar... [Linked Image]

SOLVED

Thank You Jesus!

That was not it... but I did figure it out (just in case anyone cares)...

Bought/installed a new grounding cable and filled the tank (the same trip ) and the shuddering was gone...

Few day later it came back... decided to just two foot the $1,000 bittch until I had a genuine failure (then fix or sell)... fiddle-farting around never got better... tank got low on fuel... filled it again and TADA no shudder.

Bottomline... somewhere below 2/3 tank the fuel pick-up line (in the tank) has a leak and sucks air.

NOT a problem while driving (just idle).

Fix or not... whatever, but did figure it out.

Had the same thing on chainsaws... just didn't think about it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks for the followup. How do you feel about it now, spending all that money for something that never got fixed? That would bug me!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 57 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.