Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm certainly not against new innovative technology. I just don't want the government subsidizing it with my tax money. New things will come along in time. I just don't think that electric vehicles are the answer at least not currently. There are other fuel technologies available that haven't been exploited yet. Super capacitor battery technology might well have good uses in the future but for now it isn't used much. I think it's great for over the road trucking where battery's are easily drained as thy apparently have short charge time and can be recharged many times before degrading. On that argument I defer to the truckers that use them. As for me, I drive an F150 and my lead acid battery is gtg for my uses. I don't plan on trying out any electric vehicles. For one thing there isn't any infrastructure to support them widely in use Everywhere I go.

Currently fossil fuel and lead acid batteries are the thing for me at least.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In the south electric cars wouldn't hurt the grid. The grid is sized for daytime summer air conditioning loads. Most charge their electric cars at night. No problems.

In the north it might be a bigger problem. Grid is sized to operate furnaces at night in winter for the loads. That is also when most electric cars will charge. Also, the cold weather may affect power consumption in an electric.

Most will charge at night for around town and short distance driving. Long trips will require charging stations like Tesla has installed. Tesla allows others to use their charging station with the proper connections and to allow billing to that customer. Teslas long distance range is about 320 miles at 70 mph. That is over 4 hours driving. It takes 45 minutes at a charging station to recharge. People need to stop that often to get out, walk around, and get a meal.

Our power grid was designed for industrial applications. Half our large industry use, like textile mills, and shoe factories, have moved overseas. We have some excess capacity already. A natural gas power plant can be installed in less than two years. Natural gas is far cleaner than gasoline, coal, or other fossil fuel. Only water and CO2 are produced. 2/3rds less CO2 emissions than coal.

Teslas have already driven cross country using Teslas charging stations, and hotels that allow charging overnight. Tesla has thought out the potential problems. One problem still exists. Charging stations are located along the interstate highway system. The further away for an interstate, the less likely you will find a charging station. They have been, however putting charging facilities at some of the national parks which are remote in a lot of cases.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I see that IL is planning on charging owners of electric cars a $1000 annual fee. The money is for roads, etc, things paid for by gas taxes that they aren't paying. Sounds good to me but naturally EV owners are screaming. They've been sold a bill of goods and a realization that EV's aren't free is going to hurt. EV'S IN IL

That's a ridiculous fee. If they want a fee that might be reasonable it ought to be about what the average driver pays in gas taxes a year.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rainshot
I'm certainly not against new innovative technology. I just don't want the government subsidizing it with my tax money. New things will come along in time. I just don't think that electric vehicles are the answer at least not currently. There are other fuel technologies available that haven't been exploited yet. Super capacitor battery technology might well have good uses in the future but for now it isn't used much. I think it's great for over the road trucking where battery's are easily drained as thy apparently have short charge time and can be recharged many times before degrading. On that argument I defer to the truckers that use them. As for me, I drive an F150 and my lead acid battery is gtg for my uses. I don't plan on trying out any electric vehicles. For one thing there isn't any infrastructure to support them widely in use Everywhere I go.

Currently fossil fuel and lead acid batteries are the thing for me at least.
Quite a bit of work was done using natural gas for cars. The gas worked great but the problem they couldn't get around was the fuel tanks and how to fill them. They had to be too big and heavy to be practical. They figured the tanks could be filled at home by anyone who had gas but gas from the lines doesn't have even remotely enough pressure. They needed install high pressure pumps in each house that cost thousands.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Electric cars are for urban soccer moms. If the technology were viable Exxon would already own it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Anybody that thinks electric is going away is a dumb ass.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Electric cars are for urban soccer moms. If the technology were viable Exxon would already own it.

TFF

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Fortune 1/10/19 Big oil companies are looking at charging stations for electric vehicles (EVs), according to a new report from the Atlantic Council think tank.
Such international oil companies as Shell and ExxonMobil are investigating a move into providing places where EV owners can plug in and juice up. The development “appears to be part of a hedging strategy to capture an emerging, albeit perceived to be marginal, market segment,” the report read.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"It takes 45 minutes at a charging station to recharge. People need to stop that often to get out, walk around, and get a meal. "
Dixie Dude: Thanks for dictating to me what my travel habits should be. Are you sure you don't work for EPA or OSHA? If not I see a brilliant career choice for you. Have you ever traveled in the West? 4 hours X 70 mph = 280 miles. I purposely spend most of my time more than 280 miles from a Tesla charging station.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
[quote=Dixie_Dude It takes 45 minutes at a charging station to recharge.[/quote]

What have you been smoking? 45 minutes? Seriously? Recharging an all electric car that's driven 300 miles takes about 10 HOURS, not 45 minutes. You need to get your facts straight.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Charging stations that change your battery for a fresh battery will take about 45 seconds.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Honestly I think most folks here aren't really worried about the range or towing capacity, they're worried they'll go gay If they drive an electric car.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Will something like the Pittman Robertson Act have to be passed applied to anything automotive to keep up with the changing technology?

FJB & FJT
Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
The crooked dems don't care who they tax to death, everything and everyone is game.

As far as electric cars go, some of the posters here are fuggin ignorant as fug. A 700HP AWD Tesla is gay? It will mop the floor with any car the big 3 Government Motor companies make. Think about that, a fuggin tree hugger car that embarrasses Hellcats etc.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The Tesla may be great stoplight to stoplight, or even city to city. But it can not get down the last mile of my driveway six months of the year.

And if one tried, they could just haul the thing to the salvage yard after the attempt.

I would not have high hopes for an electric PU either. Sealed motors do not stay sealed very long when bathed in dust or mud twice to four times daily. Six inch deep puddles of mud, or two inches of dust, that is an environment for older technology. Go, go, 1992 Toyota.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The Tesla may be great stoplight to stoplight, or even city to city. But it can not get down the last mile of my driveway six months of the year.

And if one tried, they could just haul the thing to the salvage yard after the attempt.

How sure are you of this statement? Put your money where your mouth is???

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by qwk
The crooked dems don't care who they tax to death, everything and everyone is game.

As far as electric cars go, some of the posters here are fuggin ignorant as fug. A 700HP AWD Tesla is gay? It will mop the floor with any car the big 3 Government Motor companies make. Think about that, a fuggin tree hugger car that embarrasses Hellcats etc.

How is it in the winter when it's about =30F and ya have about a 400 mile trip to make? I guess the driver could bundle up in a snowmobile suit.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by qwk

How sure are you of this statement? Put your money where your mouth is???

I am pretty damned sure. During the winter. It would be hung up in 30 inch deep snow drifts. In the spring it would be high centered in eight inch deep ruts, and in the summer it would have the bottom knocked out by eight to ten inch river rocks laying in the middle of the road, left over from filling the ruts during spring thaw.

But hey, if you have one you would like to drive out next April, I will give you directions.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

Just think of the winch it could run with all that battery power. smile

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by qwk

How is it in the winter when it's about =30F and ya have about a 400 mile trip to make? I guess the driver could bundle up in a snowmobile suit.. laugh

Loses about 3% in range, which is essentially nothing. I make a 425 mile trip regularly, and stop for a pizz/bite to eat halfway, and it takes 30-40 minutes. I usually take longer then the car. The battery has 120k of hard miles on it, with about half in dusty, wet conditions. The range is about ten miles less than what it was when I bought it, almost seven years ago.

BTW, the thing has 5 times the torque of you dually. You gotta give credit where credit is due.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

412 members (17CalFan, 163bc, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 32 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,131
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.