R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
This is hilarious.

At least in Islam there are only a few sects to choose from. Less fighting that way.

Hardly. They kill each other constantly. Always have, always will.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
The reason there are so many versions of Christianity is because we all get along so well??

The difference is English Common law....not Sharia.

I am MAGA.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
from my point of view, i am a small c catholic, meaning i believe in the basic doctrine, not so much in the structure of the roman catholic church. greek, russian, or some of the others i am much closer too.
but what really makes me chuckle is people on here quoting scripture from the KING JAMES version of the bible, written how many years after the time of Christ?
Then there are the transcription issue of the documents themselves many written after the time of Christ and translated into a number of languages before they even got to english.
Yeah, right.
And as one pointed, out how many different protestant groups are there today, all saying it's my way or the highway, Jack?
Bible thumpers give me indigestion.

Fair enough, but the implication that the Roman Catholic Church is monolithic is a false one. There are many, many factions within that institution which render that argument null & void.

By the way... historic Protestants are truly little-c catholic. We believe in the catholicity or universality of the invisible church... all those who are truly saved.

I for one believe that there is a whole host of people in that group; some there because of the faithful message of the tradition (or anti-tradition) in which they participate on this side of the grave, others in spite of it. It is God who saves; His message of salvation in Christ goes forth in spite of mans best efforts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by nighthawk
efw, Good morning. It's hard to put it into a short message but a Catholic priest is ordained, authorized, to act in the stead of God as were the apostles. Can only God perform miracles? Yes. Did the apostles perform miracles? Yes, after the Pentecost. They were ordained or given the authority through the Holy Spirit.

Careful tying too tightly to the Old Testament. Old covenant / new covenant.

And you don't see the problem with that statement.

Really?

Guess I could have added they at in His name, not on their own, but that seems pretty obvious to me.
So you think the apostles were a bunch of posers?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Guess I could have added they at in His name, not on their own, but that seems pretty obvious to me.
So you think the apostles were a bunch of posers?

If you want to play that game, then yes I do in fact think the apostles were not and are not God.

And yes...I also think that catholics are idolaters, which I also think is encouraged by the thieves and paedophiles in charge to further their own ends.

And if you don't like what I think then don't bother conversing with me as there is no hope in hell I am ever going to be convinced otherwise.

The thievery is demonstrable in the vatican franchise, as is the paedophilia.

Deny it all you like...just like all the other good catholics.

Last edited by JSTUART; 05/14/19.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
The reason there are so many versions of Christianity is because we all get along so well??

The difference is English Common law....not Sharia.

English Common Law and the whole Western legal tradition is founded upon Judeo-Christian ideas about man’s intrinsic value as image bearers of God.

Even non Christian scoffers benefit from Christianity; particularly here in the West.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Laws and books written by men.

Given half a chance the most pious will denounce another for being "different"

Go ahead and be Catholic if you want too.....sheesh.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[And if you don't like what I think then don't bother conversing with me as there is no hope in hell I am ever going to be convinced otherwise.

Actually I don't care what you think.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[And if you don't like what I think then don't bother conversing with me as there is no hope in hell I am ever going to be convinced otherwise.

Actually I don't care what you think.

Apparently you do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw

Fair enough, but the implication that the Roman Catholic Church is monolithic is a false one. There are many, many factions within that institution which render that argument null & void.

There a set of core beliefs which all Catholics hold, defines being Catholic. Start with the Nicene Creed. After that there are all kinds of ways to worship. There are other teachings which in good conscience you may or may not choose to follow.

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

I’m not Catholic; turned it down a long time ago.

There is a big difference between denouncing ideas and men as you well know.

Unless you’re denouncing us for arguing about this stuff, which I assume you’re not. I assume you feel there are better things to argue about perhaps? If so that’s your call.

The fact remains that Christianity is imbedded in the values of the West. The very fact we can have these conversations and not fear for our lives from repercussions of our opinions by the govt or our tribes is owed to Christian ideals. As much as people wrongly suggest we’d all kill each other given the chance that’s simply not the case.

I have far more I agree with nighthawk on than disagree. Ghat doesn’t mean we can’t spar. I’d break bread and hang with him happily; and I’m confident he would me.

You, on the other hand...

(That’s a joke...)

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by efw

Unless you’re denouncing us for arguing about this stuff, which I assume you’re not. I assume you feel there are better things to argue about perhaps? If so that’s your call.

The fact remains that Christianity is imbedded in the values of the West. The very fact we can have these conversations and not fear for our lives from repercussions of our opinions by the govt or our tribes is owed to Christian ideals. As much as people wrongly suggest we’d all kill each other given the chance that’s simply not the case.

I have far more I agree with nighthawk on than disagree. Ghat doesn’t mean we can’t spar. I’d break bread and hang with him happily; and I’m confident he would me.

(That’s a joke...)

Christianity is not the issue, one man setting himself up as God's mouthpiece is, particularly when he delves in to realms he has no business venturing in to.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw

There a set of core beliefs which all Catholics hold, defines being Catholic. Start with the Nicene Creed. After that there are all kinds of ways to worship. There are other teachings which in good conscience you may or may not choose to follow.

We hold to all the catholic creeds.

Liberation theologians, abundant in the RCC, use the language of Catholicism but don’t mean the same thing. They’re not Roman Catholic, yet enjoy it’s communion. Same for other sorts of liberals. There are factions within the Church who render the “you Protestant disagree” argument null & void.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

Christianity is not the issue, one man setting himself up as God's mouthpiece is, particularly when he delves in to realms he has no business venturing in to.

I don’t know how I could more clearly demonstrate I agree than what I’ve posted in this thread.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by efw

(That’s a joke...)

Christianity isn’t the issue........”christians” are.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I dont like the arguments and blanket statements.

Folks telling other folks that their deeply held beliefs are wrong or silly or dangerous or going to send them to hell...........is not a slippery slope......there is no slope.....its straight down.

I am MAGA.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by NH K9

Christianity isn’t the issue........”christians” are.

Amen; you won’t hear disagreement from me on that.

We suck.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I dont like the arguments and blanket statements.

Folks telling other folks that their deeply held beliefs are wrong or silly or dangerous or going to send them to hell...........is not a slippery slope......there is no slope.....its straight down.

All are free to believe as they will, but when they discuss it on an open forum they put their beliefs under scrutiny and have no business getting the pips about any dissenting view.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yeah, thats a good point.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Appreciate that efw. Thank the Greeks for rational debate. I like it, have to review my beliefs as well as the other guys and it's a sad day if I don't learn something along the way. It is possible to respect someone and their beliefs without accepting those beliefs. There are major disagreements but as Christians we're walking the same path.

Which explains a lot.
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,874
Posts18,518,082
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.