Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I think the Lord talks about innate knowledge that He gives men which covered them before the written word.

Not all have to believe in Jesus as savior to be saved. If you are enlightened to the Good News it seems you must acknowledge Christ as Savior and ask forgiveness of your sins. That is scripture.

Scripture does not say all who get to heaven have to be believers in Christ. Thats a modern and incorrect assumption.

He said all who get to the Father do so through Christ. He didnt say all have to accept Christ as Saviour.

Babies and kids who die before the age of accountability go to Heaven.They get there through Jesus Christ. He can do the same for those who died before the Good News.

He says all who do believe and call on His name and ask forgiveness and repent are saved. That doesnt mean it's the only way but it is a certain guranteed way. He can still send souls to God from thousands of years ago.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/15/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Matthew 18 provides a lot of enlightenment. First off, it clarifies what the "unforgivable sin" is -
Originally Posted by Matt 18
3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
The sin against the Holy Spirit is the rejection of The Spirit. This is in spite of being baptized or Christ's sacrifice on the cross.

Second, it sheds light on the Church being an institution, not an individual thing.
15 “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over.
16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’
17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

Also notice that this is in spite of any baptism of the offender or Christ's passion.

Then, along with 15-17, 18 illuminates some of the authority that not only goes along with the keys given to Peter in Matthew 16, but the priesthood in the order of Melchezidek. Taken with 15-17, you see this is the authority to mediate sins.
18 “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Originally Posted by Matt 16
19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Politics is War by Other Means
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I think the Lord talks about innate knowledge that He gives men which covered them before the written word.

Not all have to believe in Jesus as savior to be saved. If you are enlightened to the Good News it seems you must acknowledge Christ as Savior and ask forgiveness of your sins. That is scripture.

Scripture does not say all who get to heaven have to be believers in Christ. Thats avmodern and incorrect assujption.

He said all who get to the Father do so through Christ.

Babies and kids who die before the age of accountability go to Heaven.They get there through Jesus Christ. He can do the same for those who died before the Good News.

He says all who do believe and call on His name and ask forgiveness and repent are saved. That doesnt mean it's the only way butbit is a certain guranteed way. He can still send souls to God from thousands of years ago.

That might be your gospel, small case "g", but I doubt many others would claim it. This is just confusing to many, I would believe, and primarily incorrect.

Of course, prior to the Lord's birth, people were saved by their faith. Just as they were after Jesus walked the earth: saved by Faith. Faith in the God of the Bible and Torah.

God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are One. Behold O'Israel the Lord thy God is One.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by xxclaro
The Bible as we have it now was not around in Jesus's time, as far as I know, so how could Jesus say that the Bible is the word of God? Also, I thought it was Paul who said it, not Jesus , but it's been a while since I've read it so could be mistaken.

You think God cant still create or do things? Isnt He building us a place in Heaven? He didnt stop on the 7th day, He rested.

Darn, i guess He gave us the written word after people learned to make the written word.

I myownself was around for a while and did a lot of stuff before i started killing big bucks. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by nighthawk
"I know youve had false doctrine fed to you for ages"

And after praying to Him over it for decades I'm sure I haven't.

But I'm still puzzling over:

In the Bible the Lord said the Bible is the word of God
The Bible was written by men
God said men are liars.

Huh? Doesn't that mean the first statement is a lie?

Actually, the men that wrote the bible said that.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

They were directed by Him and put down His message to us.

Actually, you only have the authors word for that.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Yeah, and HE doesnt lie.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
When was this herasey rewritten into the catechism telling us moslems can go to heaven without believing in Christ?

Oh yes, pope John Paul in the 1992.
The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."

Just more of Satan leading Gods children astray.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw

But I'm still puzzling over:

In the Bible the Lord said the Bible is the word of God
The Bible was written by men
God said men are liars.

Huh? Doesn't that mean the first statement is a lie?

If that were your assertion as a Roman Catholic it’d prove too much. Logically it would mean that your other authoritative source of revelation, Church tradition, is identically flawed.

This would leave you in the position of post modern followers of Schleiermacher who essentially gutted what we’d call historic Christianity (ie Christ’s power to save effectually) and left behind moralisms and worship with forms emptied of their substance. Ie the dead end of all relativistic roads, nihilism.

I was just musing on the logic of the proposition, a philosophical car crash. Like the paradox: I always lie. And that's the truth.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When was this herasey rewritten into the catechism telling us moslems can go to heaven without believing in Christ?

The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."

As a child I was given this question: If you have to accept Jesus to be saved, what about the native in deepest, darkest Africa who is barely aware that there's an outside world much less Jesus. An otherwise good guy, does he go to hell? Is that the act of a mercirciful, loving and just god?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw

If that were your assertion as a Roman Catholic it’d prove too much. Logically it would mean that your other authoritative source of revelation, Church tradition, is identically flawed.

This would leave you in the position of post modern followers of Schleiermacher who essentially gutted what we’d call historic Christianity (ie Christ’s power to save effectually) and left behind moralisms and worship with forms emptied of their substance. Ie the dead end of all relativistic roads, nihilism.

I was just musing on the logic of the proposition, a philosophical car crash. Like the paradox: I always lie. And that's the truth.

Yeah I wondered which is why I put “if”.

Ultimately anyone so bold as to assert any really conclusions on the ultimate questions will fall back on a circular argument of one sort or another. They’re all “philosophical car crashes” so-to-speak, accept the ones that are easy & safe.

But what fun is that??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you have a fairy godmother?

No, but I'm keeping a close eye on Father Francis.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Ultimately anyone so bold as to assert any really conclusions on the ultimate questions will fall back on a circular argument of one sort or another. They’re all “philosophical car crashes” so-to-speak, accept the ones that are easy & safe.

But what fun is that??

And there we find the necessity of faith.

Which explains a lot.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

As a child I was given this question: If you have to accept Jesus to be saved, what about the native in deepest, darkest Africa who is barely aware that there's an outside world much less Jesus. An otherwise good guy, does he go to hell? Is that the act of a mercirciful, loving and just god?

This sidesteps the most important question tho; why does God save ANYONE if He is just? We all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

God is a Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in his being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth.

Man is by his nature fallen and sinful.

The fact that God would come in human form and sacrifice Himself for ANYONE is amazing.

As He said to Moses, He will have mercy upon whom He will have mercy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh I dunno, suppose it's that love and mercy thing. He made us in His image and likeness, we are his children. I don't find us as despicable as that, more that we come into being knowing nothing and with much to learn. He made us knowing our nature, He does only good stuff, so we can't be all that bad.

Which explains a lot.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Oh I dunno, suppose it's that love and mercy thing. He made us in His image and likeness, we are his children. I don't find us as despicable as that, more that we come into being knowing nothing and with much to learn. He made us knowing our nature, He does only good stuff, so we can't be all that bad.

If I brought you to a pool and dropped one eye dropper of the most poisonous chemical we’ve come up with in and told you to drink a cup would you do it? God is absolutely perfectly righteous & holy; not so much as a drop of unrighteousness is in Him.

You’re using yourself and your judgment as the measure but that isn’t what Scripture (or the Church for that matter) uses. Here is what He says about us:

Gen 6:5 The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. (ESV)

and that sin came through Adam, our first father:

Rom 5:12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men[e] because all sinned (ESV)

Paul makes this point as it relates to the Mosaic law as well:

Gal 3:10 For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.” (ESV)

And here is an implied question from Paul that I genuinely ask you:

Gal 2:21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

If, as you suggest, “we can’t be all that bad,” why did Christ have to die?

Just to be clear; I assume you're not a Universalist so you draw the line somewhere. When you talk of us being not so bad or (as in the case of some) damnable you’re talking about law; that is, performance to a standard. You may be talking God’s Law or man’s, but in either instance Paul’s implied question applies; if salvific righteousness were available through (some) Law, why did Christ have to die?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But does that mean people are born evil? I think not, we choose evil, perhaps in ignorance. It gets into the dual nature of man which Aquinas talks about. We can revel in our animal nature with it's animal instincts or forego that in developing our transcendent self which I think is the "in His image and likeness" part.

Which explains a lot.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
But does that mean people are born evil? I think not, we choose evil, perhaps in ignorance. It gets into the dual nature of man which Aquinas talks about. We can revel in our animal nature with it's animal instincts or forego that in developing our transcendent self which I think is the "in His image and likeness" part.

Either way matters not; if we aren’t that bad why did Christ have to die?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

m

Jesus has always been the Agent of salvation, before and after His incarnation. Nowhere does scripture claim that the recipient of salvation must be aware that Jesus of Nazareth is that Agent.

Simple logic demands that if there truly is only One God, any prayer made to any Deity will be heard by the Only Deity, regardless of the name applied by the one praying. That Deity, Jesus, will judge the sincerity of the request.

It’s only the Power Hungry Priests and some Elitist Protestants who insist on adding sacraments such as baptism or being in Communion with a church to the simple Gospel message. The very idea that Jesus would place the fate of His movement to a fallible human, St Peter, and establish an unbroken line of subsequent Peters is the greatest farce in Christendom.

It’s only the modern egoist who uses the Bible to support whatever his latest intellectual masturbation produces.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Simple logic demands that if there truly is only One God, any prayer made to any Deity will be heard by the Only Deity, regardless of the name applied by the one praying. That Deity, Jesus, will judge the sincerity of the request.
'

Pretty close to Catholic doctrine actually, stated differently,

Which explains a lot.
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,890
Posts18,518,307
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.