Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ringman
The book "The case for miracles" should convince anyone who is not dogmatically against God. Like Jesus says, "If they don't listen to Moses and the Prophets they won't be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead."

What if they listen to the angel Moroni?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

Karl do you not find it slightly pretentious to declare you possess the knowledge of what information the other 7 billion people do or do not have?

Have you seen any of them prove existence of a god?

Did you forget to switch names?

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Ever since Og, people have witnessed things that they could not explain. Mankind seems to be hardwired to explain things, and so to create an explanation, they created gods and other invisible forces. Belief in gods and the religions to contact those gods has been passed down generation to generation ever since.

But no two gods and no two religions are alike - many of them in fact being polar opposite - and yet every believer swears his religion and his god are the only correct ones. It's insanity.

Man created gods, not the other way around.

I'd find it hard to argue with this.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Karl do you not find it slightly pretentious to declare you possess the knowledge of what information the other 7 billion people do or do not have?

Sure! All the time. The only one they need to prove things like that to is themselves.

But for the hard headed/hearted atheists, proving God to them would be much like proving Trumps a good President to the MSM or demoncrap Congress.

Atheists and lieberal demoncraps have a lot in common: they are both willfully wrong about the most important of matters.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks for the link I do love me some Charles Hodge I’ll read it all.

The answer to the question has been posed by Jordan Peterson recently in his debates with Sam Harris, a famous “new atheist”. Peterson isn’t a Christian and is a rather avowed evolutionist who answers this in a rather novel if slippery way. Anyone genuinely interested can search their debates on YouTube. Good stuff.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

So you're in for a yes, God is inane?

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Ever since Og, people have witnessed things that they could not explain. Mankind seems to be hardwired to explain things, and so to create an explanation, they created gods and other invisible forces. Belief in gods and the religions to contact those gods has been passed down generation to generation ever since.

But no two gods and no two religions are alike - many of them in fact being polar opposite - and yet every believer swears his religion and his god are the only correct ones. It's insanity.

I'd find it hard to argue with this.

Why? Because you feel the same way?

I agree it would likely be futile.

People are very hard pressed to change their minds about things they believe they have a superior opinion about.

Consider lieberals and conservatives. God or godless is even thinner ice.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

Yes, that is the way I see it.

Man is curious by nature, and very imaginative. Old Og was sitting outside the cave by the campfire with all his little oglets when one of them asked about all the pretty lights in the sky. And Old Og made up a story, because just like any modern man, he did not wish to admit he did not know.

The story grew over time, and some men learned they could use the story to control other men, gain access to the loins of the prettiest maidens, and extort money and food from the populace. And the priesthood was born.

As to the dissertation in the link, it is a bunch of gobbledygook. Nonsense disguised as scientific extrapolation. One might well be stupider from having read it.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl
Religion was created by man to control men's minds.

The fact is this - no one on this planet knows if there is, or isn't a God. You can believe anything you want, but you do not know, and it is frankly, absurd, to claim you do know.

Nevertheless, even a nitwit from Texass could stare up into the sky on a clear moonless night, and contemplate all of the matter, physics, and incomprehensible vastness of the Universe, and deduce that it did NOT just flash into existence one day, from absolutely nothing, in the middle of a void that did not previously exist, just because it wanted to.

My guess is that whatever actually did precede what we know as the Universe and our existence is so far beyond human comprehension that it will make all racist Bible thumpers quake like little girls if they are ever faced with it.

Meanwhile, back on Earth...

Those 7-billion people all have DIFFERENT, often opposing, BELIEFS, in what God is, and they all swear their's is the Genuine deal (I know you will miss the point because it will fracture your fragile enclosure).

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The fact is this - no one on this planet knows if there is, or isn't a God. You can believe anything you want, but you do not know, and it is frankly, absurd, to claim you do know.

Nevertheless, even a nitwit from Texass could stare up into the sky on a clear moonless night, and contemplate all of the matter, physics, and incomprehensible vastness of the Universe, and deduce that it did NOT just flash into existence one day, from absolutely nothing, in the middle of a void that did not previously exist, just because it wanted to.

My guess is that whatever actually did precede what we know as the Universe and our existence is so far beyond human comprehension that it will make all racist Bible thumpers quake like little girls if they are ever faced with it.

Those 7-billion people all have DIFFERENT, often opposing, BELIEFS, in what God is, and they all swear their's is the Genuine deal (I know you will miss the point because it will fracture your fragile enclosure).

Imagine that. 7+ billion people and no two alike in their beliefs. You must stay awfully busy keeping track of what 7+ billion people think. How do you do it?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps not a god but in the transcendent. See early Greek philosophers, Socratese, Plato, etc.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

Imagine that. 7+ billion people and no two alike in their beliefs. You must stay awfully busy keeping track of what 7+ billion people think. How do you do it?

God tells me.

Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's no different than a candle in the wind. Without protection, they are both snuffed out. Because a person doesn't believe is usually due to the wind...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Perhaps not a god but in the transcendent. See early Greek philosophers, Socratese, Plato, etc.

Philosophy - favorite subject in college.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Here is a GREAT way to promote a belief in your version of God - condemn, insult, and berate anyone that disagrees or challenges your belief - I read that in The Bible somewhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remarkable Karl, page two you declare no one knows if there is a God, by page 4 you have a direct line to God. What is it you're attempting to accomplish?

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Remarkable Karl, page two you declare no one knows if there is a God, by page 4 you have a direct line to God. What is it you're attempting to accomplish?

Illustrating how flawed your beliefs are.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
to the extent an individual can believe in god, it simplifies things as long as one is content in not asking too many questions.

without a god, the universe is really difficult to explain. came from a tiny point, and exploded? really?

on the other hand, don't dare ask where god came from, nor when.

the new agers around here thinks it's a collective dream.

we'll be back into the hinduism real quick.

for them god always was.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Raeford

So you're in for a yes, God is inane?

Not at all.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Illustrating how flawed your beliefs are.

I see. You felt the best method of exposing my flawed thinking was for you to display a complete lack of rational logic. Has this methodology previously been effective?

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (29aholic, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 2500HD, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 31 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,186
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.