Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hglass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I looked at and played with the "Guardian" and the "Drenalin". Both bows seem to fit me well. I have a 26 1/2" draw length. I need a bow that will be forgiving and allow the greatest speed.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just my opinion - I feel that speed has prolly been the most over rated aspect of archery for the last couple of years. More a marketing ploy than anything else. Both bow will easily send an arrow 260fps which is more than enough for whitetail hunting. Not sure what your particular application is from the above post but either will be plenty. Pick the one you shoot the best (i.e. pick forgiving over speed). Any good pro shop will let you shoot each of the bows you are looking at.

Jim

"The skillful woodsman who knows his game, and who gets close, can keep himself in venison or moose meat with a rifle most of us would consider entirely inadequate." - Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hglass-- I believe both of those companies make a bow specifically designed for shorter draw lengths that have some pretty impressive speeds, even at 60lbs pull, might be worth looking into--Bill

It's the hunt, not the kill.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The longer the brace height the more forgiving the bow is. You need to shoot them both. Pick the one that feels and shoots the best for you. If they feel the same, you gotta go with the Mathews. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speed is a marketing tool, ablbiet an over used one.
Speed is also good for flattening arrow flight and building energy. Its useful and shouldn't be over looked, nor should it be an overbearing criteria for purchase.

At industry standards, it's suggested that you will lose about 10 fps per inch of draw length under 30". So at 26.5" draw @ 70# you can expect to lose about 35 fps, right from the start. Everything you add to the string will slow it even more...peep, leeches, nock and so on. So, buying a bow that will give you a speed edge to start with is probably a good idea.

More important, in my view, is to buy a bow that works for you. In other words, one that fits you, is easy to shoot well and consistantly.

Buy arrows that are of proper spine and mid weight...not real light, nor heavy. That will give you your best overall accuracy and penetration on game.

My elk hunting pard and I shoot Hoyt Ultratecs @ 55#, 27.5 - 28" draw lengths and mid weight arrows of 378 (me) and 406 (him). Both are blowing arrows through broadside elk at close and long yardage. They are running 245 to 250 fps. Nothing stellar.

I suggest shooting as many bows as you can and letting the bow pick you. Then outfit it properly and simply work with the speed it gives you. BT

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have shot a Mathews XL for about 5 years now it is not the fast bow on the market or the most forgiving but it fits me well and I shoot it with confidence. I have never shot a Bow-tech before but I have heard many good things about them.

As for speed I shoot 73lbs at 29# draw with a 435gr arrow at 275fps. Not to bad works great on elk.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Both bows are plenty fast. I'm drawing 26.5" with my Switchback XT, and the arrows get there with authority.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I'm just curious as to whether you chronographed your bow or if the speed you posted is estimated?
Originally Posted by Horsefly80
I have shot a Mathews XL for about 5 years now it is not the fast bow on the market or the most forgiving but it fits me well and I shoot it with confidence. I have never shot a Bow-tech before but I have heard many good things about them.

As for speed I shoot 73lbs at 29# draw with a 435gr arrow at 275fps. Not to bad works great on elk.

It is better to be believed a FOOL than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Botha are great bows and I have 1-of each, but I say Bowtech! My reason is smoother, faster by chrony and last I can hold it back alot longer!

Good Shooting!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
i dont think speed and forgiving go in the same sentence when talking bows. i like my mathews solocam just fine! it is a Q2.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Speed in bows is as overrated as speed in bullets. It's all about which bow (or gun) you can shoot the most accurately.

I shot quite a few a few years back and settled on the Bowtech "Patriot".

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Last bow I bought was a Mathews SQ2. EXCELLENT bow all the way around. Were I to buy a new one only 2 choices for me Mathews and Hoyt.

Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I chronographed my bow at the archery shop from 10 yards.

Originally Posted by flatpicker
I'm just curious as to whether you chronographed your bow or if the speed you posted is estimated?
Originally Posted by Horsefly80

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Mathews, period........................547.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Upgraded my 15 year old bow last year and after shooting a lot of brands I came down to the same decision you face, BowTech vs Matthews, I went with the Matthews and have to say I've been very happy with it.

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Did you shoot them? If not, do so. The right bow will "speak" to you.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Like Ford or Chevy test'um and pick the one that feels best to YOU.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by JoeK
Did you shoot them? If not, do so. The right bow will "speak" to you.

+1 - it's still fun to ponder though.... laugh

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try Archery Research. Those bows are made by PSE and are really fast. Of the two you mentioned, you could not go wrong with either. Know people who own both and they each think theirs is the best brand.
I would go with Bowtech myself, just preference. Then again I own an AR bow.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I shoot Mathews. i cant shoot worth a hell, but good enough to put one in the boiler room on a shot i am comfortable with.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 67 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,303
Posts18,487,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.