Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by GunReader
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
In my fifth day and the burning nerve endings on my right arm are starting to subside. On an antibiotic - Valacyclovir - 3 a day. Nurses told the wife a secret.
Get one of those tubes of "facial masks" and apply it on the affected area. Let it dry and harden and then rip it off - no wait! Wash it off gently in lukewarm water. It did take quite a bit of sting away. Sort of like puttig mud on a bee sting. I bet this would work on No-See-Ums. So get your two Zostavax shots if you can find someone who has the serum. I've been waiting for over 6 months so my "time was up".

Now that I have had this, I wonder what "waterboarding" is like?

Zostavax? I thought Shingrix was the latest, greatest?

Comments?

It is Shingrix.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunReader
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
In my fifth day and the burning nerve endings on my right arm are starting to subside. On an antibiotic - Valacyclovir - 3 a day. Nurses told the wife a secret.
Get one of those tubes of "facial masks" and apply it on the affected area. Let it dry and harden and then rip it off - no wait! Wash it off gently in lukewarm water. It did take quite a bit of sting away. Sort of like puttig mud on a bee sting. I bet this would work on No-See-Ums. So get your two Zostavax shots if you can find someone who has the serum. I've been waiting for over 6 months so my "time was up".

Now that I have had this, I wonder what "waterboarding" is like?

Zostavax? I thought Shingrix was the latest, greatest?

Comments?

Zostavax is the original vaccine, but Shingrix is the preferred agent. We stopped using Zostavax over a year ago.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shingrix is the shizzle. Kicks Zostavax’s ass. Trust me, I used to work for Merck, the Zostavax maker. Shingrix is superior. Run, don’t walk, to the doc.

I also sold both valtrex and famvir. The trick is to have some on hand and start eating them soonest when an attack occurs. The virus replicates like, well, a virus, so the sooner you can fight it the better.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Shingrix is the shizzle. Kicks Zostavax’s ass. Trust me, I used to work for Merck, the Zostavax maker. Shingrix is superior. Run, don’t walk, to the doc.

I also sold both valtrex and famvir. The trick is to have some on hand and start eating them soonest when an attack occurs. The virus replicates like, well, a virus, so the sooner you can fight it the better.

P

Pharm, so one of the pharmicists UofH OD adj professors school uses said 15 or so years ago to best use Famvir 500 tid as it greatly reduced the incidence of post herpetic neuralgia from at that time iirc 800 mg acyclovir 5/day horse pills. Of course, insurance cos balk at the cost of famvir.

Whats the deal with Shingrix and what is the recommenbed dosage, insurance coverage, etc please?

Thanks, jageye.

PS, i never remember ever having had problems treating and resolving potentially blinding herpes simples corneal ulcers with triflouridine gtts about Q3-4 h.

Now we are expected to use orals in reduced dosage along with the newer topical antiviral.
Do you have any news contrary to this or any additional recs?

I guess concurrent tx with oral acyclovir is supposed to reduce the incidence of recurrent corneal infection.

Thanks.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/15/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not Pharm, but we still use acyclovir, famciclovir, and valcyclovir about equally. Personally not a fan of acyclovir because of the 5X day dosing schedule. Add steroids if eye involvement, mostly prednisolone.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Not Pharm, but we still use acyclovir, famciclovir, and valcyclovir about equally. Personally not a fan of acyclovir because of the 5X day dosing schedule

This^^^. But ive had some insurance cos refuse the Famvir expense.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Not Pharm, but we still use acyclovir, famciclovir, and valcyclovir about equally. Personally not a fan of acyclovir because of the 5X day dosing schedule

This^^^. But ive had some insurance cos refuse the Famvir expense.

All three are generic now, so I wouldn't think it'd be an issue now. Have you had issues lately?

I just looked at our cost (fed government) and valacyclovir is actually cheaper for the full course than the others.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
No, its been a while but i didntnknow famvir was generic. Thanks, pal.

Now, what do you know about this stuff Pharm is pushing?

Do you think research proves valcyclo is more effective than famvir?

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/15/19.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx
No, its been a while but i didntnknow famvir was generic. Thanks, pal.

Now, what do you know about this stuff Pharm is pushing?

Shingrix is a non-live vaccine, where Zostivax is the live version, so that can play into immunocompromised/at risk pts and family members. Plus, Shingrix has been shown to be more effective in preventing shingles. The down side is it's two shots verses one and has more potential side effects. For most people, Shingrix is the way to go.

I'm not aware of any data showing any of the three antivirals mentioned as being better than the other, but acyclovir would be my last choice due to pt compliance.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks, Kodiak.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Cecil56
Work with a couple guys that got shingles. Last one was just a couple weeks ago. They say it is NOT fun!!!

Had my annual exam last Thursday. Got my first vaccine that day. Supposed to get the second in 2-6 months.

I'll take my chances and have a sore arm a couple days. All better now.
Wife got the shots last year......and got a bit of shingles on her back THIS year, for the first time in her life..

Maybe it's actually worth getting for most people....but for me - I'll pass..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Is the shingles milder in people who had the vaccine?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am tuning 55 next month. I was offered the vaccine when I turned 50 but declined. Never understood those Terry Bradshaw commercials until 2 years ago when I got the shingles. The rash remained small and on my upper chest neck area, but that didn't bother me much. The nerve pain was something else. Every morning, when I woke up, felt like someone took a baseball bat and beat the back of my neck with it. So painful that I couldn't go to work. Got some sort of medicine from the doctor to alleviate the pain and subdue the shingles. From what I understand now, if left untreated, the nerve pain can stay with you for a long time. I got the meds in time. Doctors are kind of mixed on me getting the vaccine now that I have had an episode of shingles.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Got a slight dose of shingles ( REALLY glad it was slight) a couple years ago. Story of my life...got shingles-on my ASS- the day before spending a week in Canada fishing from the aluminum seat of a Lund boat! cry cry cry

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Had them on my right side ribs 23 years ago, one of the most painful experiences ever

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Fortunately I was able to be able to get the new 2 shot deal. No problems from the shots. If you know somebody that has or had the shingles, you WILL get the shots.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Fortunately I was able to be able to get the new 2 shot deal. No problems from the shots. If you know somebody that has or had the shingles, you WILL get the shots.

+1

I have been on a waiting list for Shingrix for 4 months and they still don't know when they are getting it in .

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
MY DARLING WIFE IS ATE UP WITH IT RIGHT NOW.HER MOTHER PASSED AWAY SUNDAY AND WITH THE STRESS SHE HAS WITH ME AND MY LUNG CANCER AND BRAIN CANCER.SOMETIMES LIFE JUST SUCKS.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I got it at age 36 on the back of my upper thigh. Hurt like hell to sit down. Doc said if I was 66 instead it would hurt a lot more.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting on the pain comments. Had it at age 21 or so. Was not really that bad. Irritating and I recall not wanting to have clothes on certain areas.

Sure hope it gets better.

IMHO Kidney stones have always been worse, but I don't go in for those mostly. Just deal with the pain until the stone passes.

OTOH Whooping cough.... there was a miserable night thing... cough until you pass out and can't breathe, and then it starts all over again.

And there are those, like my mother, that won't take preventative shots, but all she can do is b!tch when she gets something which is quite often.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (375sunrise, 450yukon, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 21 invisible), 1,962 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,507
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.