Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Does this look like a Savage 1920 to anybody? Photo of Percy Fawcett on his last expedition into the Amazon in 1925.

[Linked Image]

It ain't like it used to be but it'll do.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, that's pretty cool. Another 20th century explorer using a Savage. I wonder if he had it shipped to him in England or shipped to Brazil or did he pick it up there last minute? I guess we will never known. Fawcett's signet ring was found in a store in Brazil - something, according to his family, that had to have been taken from him by force on this last journey - so maybe the rifle is floating around somewhere rather than rusting away in the jungle.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The shadow at the trigger guard looks like it could be one of Newton rifles inverted double set triggers. It's hard to tell in this picture the difference between a 1920 and a Newton rifle.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[Linked Image]

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Jeff,

That Newton rifle is beautiful but the bolt and checkering look different than the rifle in the photo. And, I don't see a second trigger in the Fawcett photo, only the shadow of the one trigger and guard. Being old with eyes that are no longer 20/20 I could be wrong. Also, I think it would have been more difficult and expensive to get a Newton as opposed to a Savage. I would love to see a 1920 and Newton side by side. Now all we have to do is find someone with a Model 1922 Newton.........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1922 Newtons were built on a large ring Mauser 98 action, so they had the typical large gas shield bolt shroud and a wing safety. They also had a butterknife style bolt handle. I don't see those attributed on the rifle in the picture, but I have old eyes.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The split rear receiver bridge is the dead giveaway IMO. Definitely a M1920. Thanks for sharing!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Can anybody tell what caliber it is? grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
From reading this forum, it seems that 260Remguy has seen/owned more 1920s than most (all?) so his opinion is good enough for me.

In 1925, Percy Fawcett, his son and son's friend went to New York City first prior to departing for Brazil. It is mentioned in the New Yorker article by David Grann that they had all their supplies on board the ship, including rifles, when they left the US. It is possible that he obtained the 1920 at that time rather than in England. I have ordered Grann's book to get the full story. The movie based on the book shows them on later expeditions having 1892 Winchesters - no bolt guns. The movie also shows them in the early expeditions carrying european bolt guns, possibly Mausers and a Martini. I enjoyed the movie but it was slow in parts. I am told the book was better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just a SWAG, but the barrel looks more like a 22" 250-3000 than a 24" 300 Savage.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hasn't been mention yet but in the photo the sling mount is on the barrel above the forestock, much like European rifles. Did the model 1920 have such a barrel swivel? Lastly JohnL mentioned a movie based on his life. What is the movie titled?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I gotta say I knew nothing about Fawcett before this post but I also have to say the guy in the photo does not look like a 57-year old man, the age of Fawcett at the time of his death. The guy really looks about the age of his son or son’s friend. This could, or not, be a photo associated with that ill fated excursion into Brazil but I do definitely believe the rifle is a 1920 Savage. Regardless, the guy in the photo obviously had outstanding taste in firearms.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The book and movie are both titled "The Lost City of Z" - book author is David Grann and star of the movie is Charlie Hunnam of Sons of Anarchy fame. Although Robert Patterson steals the movie.
And, S99VG, I never noticed before but the guy on the horse does look pretty young. However, by all accounts Fawcett was in very good shape for his age. Could be his son who looked very much like his father.
I got the book cheap off ebay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to be a buzz kill, but that is obviously a staged photo. Anybody that has ever carried a rifle on a horse knows that rifle would be scabbarded or slung over his shoulder and head or be attached via saddle ring to a shoulder strap.

First stumble or log that horse jumps over and that rifle is going to be on the ground.

Just sayin...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
" I gotta say I knew nothing about Fawcett before this post but I also have to say the guy in the photo does not look like a 57-year old man, the age of Fawcett at the time of his death. "

The caption for that image IIRC identified the rider as Percy's son Jack.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by olgrouser
" I gotta say I knew nothing about Fawcett before this post but I also have to say the guy in the photo does not look like a 57-year old man, the age of Fawcett at the time of his death. "

The caption for that image IIRC identified the rider as Percy's son Jack.

That makes better sense

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 99guy
Not to be a buzz kill, but that is obviously a staged photo. Anybody that has ever carried a rifle on a horse knows that rifle would be scabbarded or slung over his shoulder and head or be attached via saddle ring to a shoulder strap.

First stumble or log that horse jumps over and that rifle is going to be on the ground.

Just sayin...

99guy,

In a lot of historic photo's guys will show off their guns (and any other cool gear they have).

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Can anybody tell what caliber it is? grin

gnoahhh,

My first thought too.

JohnL,

Thanks for bringing this up.

I have read that Explorer Roy Chapman Andrews also carried and used a Savage Model 1920 (in 250 Savage). Whats not to like about the rifle for an explorer; trim, light and chambers a powerful cartridge.

Roy Chapman Andrews, Hiram Bingham (the explorer who found Machu Piccu) and Percy Fawcett have all been mentioned as the model for Harrison Fords character Indiana Jones.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here is the old man with a rifle slung correctly. You can see the family resemblance.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (300_savage, anothergun, 37L1, Anaconda, 9 invisible), 16,633 guests, and 870 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,196
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.