24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I have found this subject so interesting, I had to register as a new user just to say something. Sounds like this is a great group with lots of differing opinions which I appreciate.

The thing that strikes me the most as I read this is there appears to be a lack of communication (either intentionally or not) by both the outfitters and the hunters. If I were to want to book a hunting trip to get an elk whatever it takes, then I should find an outfitter or guide that does just that. One the other hand, if I were to want a hunt that tended to be a little more relaxed or even more into the overall experience, I should find an outfitter that did those types of hunts. To simply state that consistantly taking elk is the only sign of a good outfiiter may be true for some hunters, but not all.

The issue of tipping comes down to, very simply put, did the hunter feel that they had a good experience or not. If I booked a trip that I had the expectation that everything would be done to get an elk and anything goes no matter how bad it trashes me or the guide, and then I don't get that, my thoughts on tipping would not be a priority.

I think as hunters we need to express our wants to the outfitter (probably in the form of questions rather than statements) and as well I think outfitters have the responsibility to let hunters know the "flavor" of the hunt. I go out on a fairly regular basis with two fishing guides. One is very regimmented, organized, strict and always "on" the game. The other is pretty laid back and willing do whatever the client really wants for the day. I book with one of them depending on what my "wants" are for the trip.

The same goes for my hunting. This year I have a trip booked in New Mexico with a small outfitter on private land. I did a bunch of research and asked a huge amount of questions to get to the point where I felt I had a trip lined up that I would enjoy and be comfortable with. I have no doubt that I will be tipping the guide on this and have that in the budget. I have set up who the guide is and have coresponded a bunch with him. There probably won't be too many surprises.

WyoWildernesHntr, I would like to hear more about you and the guiding you do. Sounds like you like to have clear understandings before the hunt. Send me a message when you get a chance.

Muleskinner, sounds like you know your elk and like them. I know several people at work that are very much like you. They know their product very well, but not much into their customer. They do have some repeat business, but only from people that seem to enjoy the whatever it takes no matter how bad it trashes me attitude. I treat my clients differently, and want to be treated different myself.

Bigstick, I have enjoyed reading your comments. Some of this stuff is way to funny! I have a hunting trip set up for next year in Alaska and have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind an email or two between us.

I think with the new times that we live in with the internet and all there should be less of the issues of booking a bad trip than in the past. Sure, there will still be some poor communication, but if a person is going to drop a few thousand $ for a week in the woods, not doing the research is foolish. As well I think that some of the outfitters are doing a great job of stating very clearly what type of experience this would be on their website. Others need to start doing that and not try to capture the business not matter what the hunter really want. 10% of the cost of the hunt for a "good time" is what I say. I'm sure I'll be tipping 10% this October! If book a trip that does not meet my expectations, yes it is partly my fault. But that does not mean I need to tip a guide that takes me to a place I don't want to go or treats me in a manor that I do not like. I'm paying for more than just an animal. If I just wanted an animal, I'd go to a game farm.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
10% is fine. You'll do well with your guide I'm sure. Tell him what you want from him, but don't expect to call the shots when it comes to safety or ethical situashuns. Defer to his judgement in those cases an' when it comes to knowledge about the area. After all, like one brother I had said to his whinny brother, "why would you want to pay a feller and not have the benefit of his knowledge?" If you git an' old guide thet wants to ride everwhar, don't hold it agin him. I've seed some fellers consistently score big elk off the back of a horse. Had an' 61 year old guy in camp last fall due to git his knee replaced in the winter. How he stayed on thet horse so long I don't know. After 3 days, his first couple hunters were grumblin' 'bout not gettin' on the ground much an' not seein' elk. They both filled out with 6x6s on the 4th an' 6th days, an saw more country than anybody else in camp. Thet ol' feller knew his elk, an' knew how to kill 'em with bad pins on top of it! Sides thet, he could out cuss me on any given day an' twice on Sunday. Gonna miss thet ol' coot.

Mule
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
don't expect to call the shots when it comes to safety or ethical situashuns.

Got to jump in on that, Muleskinner -- safety & ethics are the 2 areas where the client damn well ought to call the shots.

Safety -- I've had guides & fellow hunters point guns at me, usually when holding them down at their sides they point 'em at my legs when they turn. I do call people on this, some get resentful but I have just hardened my heart that this is the one area where I don't care what anyone thinks, even if they hate me the rest of their lives it beats a bullet in the femoral artery.

Ethics -- I was on my guide's truck and he suddenly hit the brakes and pointed his rifle out the window at an animal. I asked him what he was doing and he pointed to this nice trophy-on-the-hoof running away -- "Do you want me to shoot him for you?" he said.

"No, I don't," I said. "We need to talk."

If I hadn't called the shot (called off the shot!) on that situation it would have gotten ugly. I didn't fly 2000+ miles to watch someone else shoot the animal and then claim credit for it; misunderstanding or not I would not have accepted it. As it turned out, I tagged out the next day with a smaller animal but I can look at it with satisfaction knowing that I took it honestly and fairly. In the meantime I learned an important lesson about communicating with your guide.

John

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am the guy from Pittsburgh! I own a second hand gun and know very well how to use it.The reason for stopping here tonight was to figure how to tip when I get enough money for a two day guided pig hunt. Ihad planned on a Nebraska whitetail hunt with my brother this year but I need to replace the couch and a couple other things went wrong. To have someone expect me to tip them for poor service is stupid. I work very hard for my money and so does a doctor or Lawyer. Just because they have more of it doesn't mean they owe it to someone who didn't earn it themself. Serve me well, I tip well(15-20%) Serve me poorly and I'll return the favor in spades. I will not use your service again and I'll bad talk you to anyone that has ears. That's how the service operates.

Respect can not be given, It must be earned.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,348
Posts18,526,992
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.