Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Just curious if anyone had one.. just wanted some reviews.
Are they worth the money?

What’s better than a big buck......????
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Had one in .270 Win. For me, ergos were much better than the Barrett Fieldcraft. Did the SAS checklist before shooting it. My sample shot honest 1" three shot groups at 100yds with a Leupold 6x36 scope on top. Only issue for me was Right Hand only. No South Paw versions.

I have two of them. One 30-06 and one 300WSM. The 30-06 will shoot premium ammunition to around an inch for three shots. The 300WSM will do a little better. The only thing I’ve done to them is adjust the trigger.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mine is in 270. Love it. A pleasure to carry. Shoots better than I can. The stock fits me well and soaks up recoil very well. Leuplod 6x36 same as Orion2000 on mine.

Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one, definitely worth the money.

Recovering Yankee
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've had a 280ai for 3 or 4 years, really like it. It's a great Elk rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 270 shoots 130TTSX very tight.......delightful to carry and functions well.

6x36 Leupold on it.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have a Montana in 308 and a Subalpine in 280ai.

The Montana will put two different factory offerings into .75 or better. I had to relieve the mag box and adjust trigger but otherwise it’s great.

The Subalpine i haven’t shot yet. I bought it and when I pulled it out of the box I noticed the barrel wasn’t free floated. I called Kimber and back in went. They replaced the stock and they also test fired it and it shot .9. I found the mag box needed relieving on this one as well. It’s awaiting scope rings.

That’s my experience so far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe a dumb question...……...but on an $1800-ish rifle..................why do not the trigger and mag box come from the factory done right ???

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Triggers can be pretty subjective. Don't know if factories check for, or even know about mag-box clearance issues. Blind magazine models make checking for that tough, at least it was on my FC.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Maybe a dumb question...……...but on an $1800-ish rifle..................why do not the trigger and mag box come from the factory done right ???

That is certainly a fair question, but Kimber is hardly the only manufacture to make a less-than-perfect rifle.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JeffRaines

The Montana will put two different factory offerings into .75 or better. I had to relieve the mag box and adjust trigger but otherwise it’s great.

The Subalpine i haven’t shot yet. I bought it and when I pulled it out of the box I noticed the barrel wasn’t free floated. I called Kimber and back in went. They replaced the stock and they also test fired it and it shot .9. I found the mag box needed relieving on this one as well. It’s awaiting scope rings.

Gander Outdoors by me has a Kimber Sub Alpine for 1400 something or other in 280 AI. I have been thinking that one over but the practical side of me says just keep the Montana you have in 270 WSM.

W
W
I have a Mountain Ascent in 30-06. I like the way it carries. I haven't shot it much yet but it will shoot an inch with cheapo 165 grain Remington Core Lokts. That's the only ammo that I have tried so far. I think that I can probably find some other factory ammo that will shoot even better.
I do know that the rifle will belt you without the brake on it. I haven't shot it with it yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whitetailhunter
I have a Mountain Ascent in 30-06. I like the way it carries. I haven't shot it much yet but it will shoot an inch with cheapo 165 grain Remington Core Lokts. That's the only ammo that I have tried so far. I think that I can probably find some other factory ammo that will shoot even better.
I do know that the rifle will belt you without the brake on it. I haven't shot it with it yet.

That issue has tempered my urge for a Fieldcraft in a larger caliber than my 6mm (plus the fact that I need another rifle about like I need another winky). Not just the recoil, but the jumping around on the bags as well. I thought my son's 6.5 Hunter was pretty lively when I tried that out.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shinbone
Originally Posted by Yoder409

That is certainly a fair question, but Kimber is hardly the only manufacture to make a less-than-perfect rifle.

Yup, and let's face it, these are pretty much factory rifles with expensive stocks on them, not customs. From my reading, even real customs often have funtional issues.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Gander Outdoors by me has a Kimber Sub Alpine for 1400 something or other in 280 AI. I have been thinking that one over but the practical side of me says just keep the Montana you have in 270 WSM.

Using words like "practical" are blaspheme when we are talkin a new rifle 😁.....Go for it OE!.....Hb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Using words like "practical" are blaspheme when we are talkin a new rifle 😁.....Go for it OE!.....Hb

The other practical thing about that rifle is I could sell all my other rifles and scopes and just keep that one grin You have been of no help .

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Always glad to try and help OE 👍.....😁...Hb

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My buddy has one in 280AI. I love the feel of the rifle. Sooooo sweet!

Checked the bedding and the only places the bottom of the barreled action touched the stock was the tang of the action and then about 6-8” up the barrel!

I glass bedded it for him and he was able to produce some 1/2 MOA groups with 162 ELD-Xs. I believe he was getting something around 2930 fps.

Worth every penny that time!

Cross

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (7mm_Loco, 35, 6mmbrfan, 1_deuce, 338Rules, 7 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,948
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.