GB1

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
The .280 was a Ruger 77, the last rifle he had commissioned before his death.

Right, but this is what I was thinking of (fourth paragraph):

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As Jack O'Connor himself once wrote, the life of a gun writer can be a somewhat slippery slope. A lot of people want publicity for their products, and hope a gun writer can provide it. This is fine as long as everybody follows some sort of ground rules, but a lot of things can interfere.

Gun writers do get offered or sent a lot of free stuff, though not as much as some readers might believe. That said, I've occasionally been given free guns I never asked for and didn't particularly want. How should that be handled? Some I tested, wrote up, and then sent down the road, usually trading them for some other firearm by the same company.

I've also had gunsmiths offer to make me custom rifles. I always offer to pay or trade for them, but have never found anyone willing to take the full price. Sometimes I get a discount, and sometimes I've been able to insist on paying for the parts or providing an action, but quite often the guy insists it's all on him. (I have ordered custom rifles myself from a couple of companies, and paid for them just like any other customer.)

Getting "free" custom rifles is a mixed blessing. Somebody who offers you a rifle often ends up making a rifle THEY like--which of course means it really isn't your custom rifle. I remember reading in O'Connor's biography about a well-known custom maker sending Jack and Eleanor a fine walnut-stocked 7x57, out of the blue. The rifle turned out to weigh close to nine pounds with scope, which as anybody who's read much O'Connor knows wouldn't be the 7x57 of his dreams. Instead on insulting the maker by telling him so, they quietly sold it--which would be their prerogative, since it was was a gift.

I dunno anything about the incident described in the original post here, but there are numerous ways a deal between a gun writer and a gunsmith can go sour. I've seen several.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
There is a Biesen/ O’Connor rifle also on Gunbroker for 20,000. Buy them both

Rev may need that link...

DF

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by hanco
There is a Biesen/ O’Connor rifle also on Gunbroker for 20,000. Buy them both

Rev may need that link...

DF

It’s a recent ‘Tribute’ gun.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by RevMike
The .280 was a Ruger 77, the last rifle he had commissioned before his death.

Right, but this is what I was thinking of (fourth paragraph):

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As Jack O'Connor himself once wrote, the life of a gun writer can be a somewhat slippery slope. A lot of people want publicity for their products, and hope a gun writer can provide it. This is fine as long as everybody follows some sort of ground rules, but a lot of things can interfere.

Gun writers do get offered or sent a lot of free stuff, though not as much as some readers might believe. That said, I've occasionally been given free guns I never asked for and didn't particularly want. How should that be handled? Some I tested, wrote up, and then sent down the road, usually trading them for some other firearm by the same company.

I've also had gunsmiths offer to make me custom rifles. I always offer to pay or trade for them, but have never found anyone willing to take the full price. Sometimes I get a discount, and sometimes I've been able to insist on paying for the parts or providing an action, but quite often the guy insists it's all on him. (I have ordered custom rifles myself from a couple of companies, and paid for them just like any other customer.)

Getting "free" custom rifles is a mixed blessing. Somebody who offers you a rifle often ends up making a rifle THEY like--which of course means it really isn't your custom rifle. I remember reading in O'Connor's biography about a well-known custom maker sending Jack and Eleanor a fine walnut-stocked 7x57, out of the blue. The rifle turned out to weigh close to nine pounds with scope, which as anybody who's read much O'Connor knows wouldn't be the 7x57 of his dreams. Instead on insulting the maker by telling him so, they quietly sold it--which would be their prerogative, since it was was a gift.

I dunno anything about the incident described in the original post here, but there are numerous ways a deal between a gun writer and a gunsmith can go sour. I've seen several.

Gotcha. I'm at the point where I prefer a rifle closer to 7 lbs scoped and would have zero interest in a 9lb rifle.

I've been selling my custom Mausers and Winchesters and replacing them with Kimber 84L's.

But I digress.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Gotcha. I'm at the point where I prefer a rifle closer to 7 lbs scoped and would have zero interest in a 9lb rifle.

I've been selling my custom Mausers and Winchesters and replacing them with Kimber 84L's.

But I digress.

I understand that. I'm more or less out of the buying mode and into the tweaking mode: how can I make what I have a bit lighter, better balanced, etc. For instance, I have a commercial M98 that has a 24 inch barrel in a No 1 profile, and it shoots great, but the stock is a beast. So instead of just chucking the entire thing, I'm wondering what I can do to put the stock on a diet, lighten the action a little more, mount a lightweight scope, etc. I wouldn't mind hauling it around at 8 pounds but not at almost 9.75.

Anyway, I digress as well. I'm wondering if the rifle on GB just might not be the one JB is referencing.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The GB ad says "Please call the shop for more infor, ask for Ron."

Contact Information, Ron's Guns Inc. 194 Boston Post Rd. East Lyme, Ct. 06333, 860-739-6805.

An hour ago I was walking around this very gun shop.. Didn’t see the rifle in question though. Driving through there again tomorrow will have to check.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Would like a follow up on that visit.

DF

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

But I digress.

I understand that. I'm more or less out of the buying mode and into the tweaking mode: how can I make what I have a bit lighter, better balanced, etc. For instance, I have a commercial M98 that has a 24 inch barrel in a No 1 profile, and it shoots great, but the stock is a beast. So instead of just chucking the entire thing, I'm wondering what I can do to put the stock on a diet, lighten the action a little more, mount a lightweight scope, etc. I wouldn't mind hauling it around at 8 pounds but not at almost 9.75.

Anyway, I digress as well. I'm wondering if the rifle on GB just might not be the one JB is referencing.

I’m also trying to stay out of the buying mode and for the most part have been pretty successful. However, I recently stumbled upon Lenard Brownell No. 59 a 1952 M70 barreled action chambered for the 270 Win. and it came home with me. Owning a couple of special guns is good for ones soul.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Poconojack

But I digress.

I’m also trying to stay out of the buying mode and for the most part have been pretty successful. However, I recently stumbled upon Lenard Brownell No. 59 a 1952 M70 barreled action chambered for the 270 Win. and it came home with me. Owning a couple of special guns is good for ones soul.

Nice one, saw the photos.

Takes a real man on the Fire to talk about owning a .270... grin

But the gun and provenance sorta neutralizes all that.

I had posted my Len Brownell Champlin and Haskins 7RM.

He was one of the great stock makers, did great metal work, too.

And made QD rings. Mine came with a set, you were fortunate enough to find a set.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Poconojack

But I digress.

Reminds me of the coin collection scene in "Throw Mama From the Train."

They do not have to be valuable to be special... but obviously that would not hurt.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ron has had a shop in these parts longer than I have lived here. Ive been going to his place an buying stuff for 25+ yrs.
Hes a huge supporter of the 2nd in CT and our local area.
Back in the day he moved a huge number of collectible Winchesters.
He hunted with Very Close Friends of mine, some who have now passed.
That all traded together a lot.
He's the real deal.
Call him and he will tell you what he knows.
I have No knowledge of this gun. But Plan to stop in tonight and see it if I can.

He is Cranky, but you would be to if you fought hard for our rights and lived in CT.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Ron has had a shop in these parts longer than I have lived here. Ive been going to his place an buying stuff for 25+ yrs.
Hes a huge supporter of the 2nd in CT and our local area.
Back in the day he moved a huge number of collectible Winchesters.
He hunted with Very Close Friends of mine, some who have now passed.
That all traded together a lot.
He's the real deal.
Call him and he will tell you what he knows.
I have No knowledge of this gun. But Plan to stop in tonight and see it if I can.

He is Cranky, but you would be to if you fought hard for our rights and lived in CT.

Is the entire State of Connecticut anti-gun or is it mostly the NYC bedroom community area around Greenwich driving this?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hartford, New Haven and Bridgeport control the governor’s race. They overwhelm the rest of the state during most elections. The Republican Party here is an absolute joke, Rinos to the core with few exceptions.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't see the value in it regardless if it belonged to Mrs O'Connor or not but I'm not a guy who gives a hoot about who owned something before me. Just because somebody famous owned a particular item doesn't add value IMHO. It won't shoot, drive or look any better because of the previous owner. I had a very nice custom rifle in 7X57 (I called mine a 275 Rigby) built along the lines of a 1930's era Rigby stalking rifle for much less than $7500 and with scope,shells and sling it's right at 8lbs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that owning a firearm that is documented to have belonged to famous gun writer is cool. Someday my "previously owned by fill in the blank" rifles will be more desirable because of the "name" who once owned them. Until then they are just superfluous 22 Varminter, 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 256 Newton, 260, and 7x57 rifles that don't get much attention.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There is a large group of gun owners and sportsman in CT. But they are out voted often. I also believe that many of them are uninformed about what is actually being passed in our state house. We have ZERO support from the primary media sources in the state who run cover for the Bills that are brought and passed that chisel away at our rights.
Its a state with great history of firearms manufacture and outdoor recreation. BUT we are quickly slipping with each bill passed and the new governor seems fine with that path.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
GSPfan ,

Maybe it doesn't "add value" to you, but it does to other people--which means such a rifle will generally increase in monetary value.
The same is true of custom rifles made by certain gunsmiths.

Some people also do get "pleasure value" from owning a fine rifle even if it was owned by somebody famous.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I owned for a while, a rifle that had belonged to Colonel Askins. It was a model 70 converted to left hand and chambered in 308 Norma Mag. It was a beautiful rifle, outstanding workmanship, exhibition grade fiddleback maple and crisp, fine checkering. It really was a nice rifle. But it fit me horribly. I found it too heavy and bulky in the stock and the dimensions were off enough that it wasn't a comfortable gun for me to shoot.

I enjoyed having owned a piece with some verifiable history. Ultimately it wasn't a gun I was going to hunt or use so I sold it through Julia Auctions. And did quite well on it. Someone else can now enjoy owning a piece of firearms history. I did take it on one moose camping trip. It sure wasn't much of a moose hunting trip. Not one to be found.

Having some documented history, tying the gun to someone with impact on the firearms industry, has a value that can make a rifle worth more to some folks. That's okay. There are guns out there I'd gladly pay a premium for because they belonged to someone who mentored me through their articles and stories. I might not be able to pay the premium for them but that wouldn't make me desire them any less. Keith's revolvers and rifles are a good example. Though they are well beyond my reach, they are part of 20th century firearms history and I'd happily own one if I could afford it.

Last edited by mart; 05/22/19.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mart,always wondered is you still had that Norma!!! Glad to know what happened to it... The Col. was some guy!!

Molon Labe
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (12344mag, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,979
Posts18,480,890
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.